Presidential Elections

ArmChairIntellect
Whats everyone's thoughts on the upcoming race?  What kind of games do you think Calderon will pull to retain office?  State of emergency, delayed elections, captures of high profile criminals, or do you think it will go off without a hitch?  I believe Calderon has is positioned himself perfectly as to become a dictator.......  Is the climate is Mexico is ripe for such a thing?

Re: Presidential Elections

Mexico has what is called  SEXENIO a system the prohibits more than one term of presidency.  also they have a plurality voting syste,essentially a simple majority, remember Calderon voted in with a controversial 36% of the vote.

There was talk of PRD-PAN coalition for politcal expedience...something it appears they will need for any chance of a successful win in 2012.

The PRI party is the team to beat and Enrique Pena Nieto is the candidate that most likely will be the pick of PRI party leaders.  He has been a successful governor, is handsome, popular has the advantage of televisa backing and married to a popular Novela star.  However he is surrounded by controversary not the least of which is a connection to mexican drug cartels.  ---so whats new---

PAN is on everyones shit list after 12 years of rule folks thinking things are worse than before and the drug war has narrowed the focus  at the expense of all other social needs and had a monopoly on all resources.  any canidate has to distance himself from Calderon and talk a new deal...being commited to social issues such as education as the primary focus and plan of action.  Instead of the Drug War that issue can be accomplished by speaking in term of not necessarily a new agenda but a new plan of actions...judicial and prison systems major overhual, corruption dismantled in police and military agencies.  that sort of thing.

PRD has a great canidate  Mayor Marcello Ebrad, he is popular, charismatic, GREAT communicator, handsome, no controversy, and a strong base of support.  He is a very strong canidate, if PAN and PRD were to merge and this was the candidate...wow...there may be a chance other that the Narco-President.

looking ahead... 2018  looks like another Narco-President is in the works....the newly installed president of PRI national party...Humberto  Moreira

Re: Presidential Elections

drattler
So Mexicos answer to present attempts at reform back to business as usual? What about all the non narco crime,protection? kidnapping?theft P-mex mining cos I actually believed that Mexico could improve its lot internationally. Will any of these new canidates carry any momentum of reforming the present state of affairs in Mexico??

Re: Presidential Elections

The PRD front runner is a good candidate, he does not have the narco rep and has zero controversary..so going in he would be clean as far as I can tell.  But he is a long shot.

But presidents aren't the end all.  IF there is a movement by the people to promote and demand social and judicial-prison-police changes etc then congress would have to listen.

Mexico has initiated changes I wrote a post about on this forum.  if you have not read it please do, it gives great hope.  I do see the violence declining because I see that much of the activity will relocate at some point to central america it has already been happening in the past couple of years and if you think Mexico is scary wait until you see Narcos truly talking over the countries that are already unstable.

Re: Presidential Elections

El Regio
Mexico is in the exact position that the US was in back in 2008. The same feelings were aimed at George W. Bush and as a result the Empty suit Obama was elected into office by a bunch of uninformed idiots that were pissed off at the war and it's casualites.

I sure hope Mexico wakes up and doesn't make the same mistake that many Americans made in 2008. Mexico cannot afford to go back to business as usual with Pena Nieto.

Re: Presidential Elections

man...you said it in a nutshell, very well done my friend.

WHy is Peña so loved?  It is so known his connection to narco, so what gives?

What I don't understand is if this is known that any candidate has narco connections...no I will go further, if there is a strong possibility that a candidate has narco connections, then Mexicans need to say BASTA! you can not have my vote.  It is the one thing that they are still empowered by.  They love this guy, why?  Because he is handsome and his wife a big famous novela star?  the beautiful power couple?

Are Mexicans really that shallow?

Re: Presidential Elections

curioso
I long for the days of "business as usual" When I could drive alone from El Paso to Zacatecas with not a worry in the world. Enjoying the scenery and stopping in little villages for lunch with the locals. No worries about checkpoints or gun battles. Freedom to roam and freedom to come and go as we felt necessary. It wasn't all that long ago.

Business as usual.....is the only way!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Re: Presidential Elections

El Regio
Yes Mexicans are really that shallow, and so are Americans. You described the love affair that Americans had with Obama during his campaign. They painted him as a God, then it turned out that he is very incompetent as those who were not in love with him, claimed.

Re: Presidential Elections

El Regio
I long for those days too, but I don't long for "business as usual". It's unfortunate that it has come to this but this is the result of so much corruption, why would you want that back?

Re: Presidential Elections

kylesam
Enrique Pena Nieto has connections to el narco? When did this happen? Only thing I heard is that people do not like him because his political "god father" is Carlos Salinas....

Re: Presidential Elections

kylesam
Regio "It's unfortunate that it has come to this but this is the result of so much corruption, why would you want that back?" The corruption is still there and it never left, what are you talking about jaja

Re: Presidential Elections

Me too!  and I would drive from my offices in Mexico to Monterrey or Satillo stop and see friends of visit schools a long the way.  It was so nice.  stop at my favorites, fav art gallery in Mty, fav tortilla place in Sabinas, or the little place in Monclova that had the best fresh fruit smoothy in the universe, or taking some foundation kids to Kidszania in Monterrey...Business as usual in that respect I long for.  I could take the drive alone and feel safe.  NO MAS!  things just began to crumble before my eyes.  I was conducting a seminar in Piedras for all the directors of special ed in coahuila, we were in the second day and I noticed a director from Torreon crying outside in her car with a couple of others surrounding her.  She was on her cell.  She was screaming, shaking and one of her friends told me her husband was just "taken".  That was a first for me.  That was exactly 25 months ago.  we always have had our "disappeared" but it never hit home, never up close and personal, that was the first but sadly it was not the last it seems pivitol moment in my life, the day the devil took my sense of security, everything got worse from then on.

But business as usual is not good in presidential elections..so how about "Vote Against Business as Usual ...so We Can Have Business As Usual"....jajaja  pretty convoluted but WE know what I mean.

Re: Presidential Elections

Oh Joven...should I post something?  go into depth?  it is WIDELY known, WIDELY written about.  it is what it is.

Maybe I should write a round up of the front runners..

Re: Presidential Elections

hey arm chair...where did you go?  this is your post honey..poof you are gone....jajajaja

Re: Presidential Elections

I could not believe Americans and their stupidity, they did not see the emporer wore no clothes.  and we are now reaping what the idiots have sown.  But if Bush was not so hated it would not have happened and that is what is happening in Mx.

I dare say If we had narco violence in cities like Mx no way would we vote in someone connected to narcos.  sorry I will never believe that and have a difficult time thinking that of Mexicans

Re: Presidential Elections

El Regio
Kyle I never said the corruption was gone. That is the reason this war continues, however it is not as open as it was 4-6 years ago.
These rats don't travel as they used to, they have somewhat gone into hiding.

Re: Presidential Elections

El Regio
Abuela you are right, had G. W. Bush not been so hated, Obama would have never been elected. However had the American voters been so stupid and believed everything this idiot threw there way, we wouldn't have Obama.
They say people get the government they deserve and I believe it.
Americans were to lazy and stupid to research this fool and his lack of experience. So we got a huge unemployment rate, our Oil and gas jobs hurting, deficeit increased way over, 2 wars still going on, now we have a 3rd, and on and on....

Mexico is headed down the wrong path, but it is their choice to do so.

Re: Presidential Elections

ArmChairIntellect
Hiya I haven't left... See I am not from Mexico, I do not have relatives in Mexico, I also don't know the details of the politics going on other than what I read.  This makes my view very disconnected ans bias compared to those that do.  I do get the feeling though that this is all playing out very badly for Mexico, a population in fear is a dangerous thing, America went through this and many rights were taken away from us even though most of America is too dumb to notice or care.  Like I said I do not know the inner working of everything so my insights are rather limited.  The way it reads however is that everyone is living in fear, that people are getting so scared that they would be willing to give up their rights in place of security.  This can lead to all sorts of troubles.  I was also just curious if there was any validation to Caldaron trying some kind of power grab.  Thank you though for sharing your knowledge it is appreciated.  By the way feel free to correct me if I'm looking like a dumb gringo.

Re: Presidential Elections

El Regio
As far as I am aware, Calderon is not trying to do a power grab. His term is almost up, those spreading the rumors are fanatical leftist liberals who despise him. Such as liberals despised G.W. here in the US and even made up similar stories about him.

Re: Presidential Elections

kylesam
I havent found read anything about Nieto having any narco connections. The only article I found was Proceso but they are not a credible new source because of their past but do you have the info? Thanks!
12