Police Officer Overdoses on Fentanyl After Responding to Drug Call: Cops

Police Officer Overdoses on Fentanyl After Responding to Drug Call: Cops

Soliado
Given the prevalence of fentanyl and other, even stronger synthetic opiate derivatives, I am surprised that this hasn't occurred with greater frequency.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-officer-overdoses-on-fentanyl-after-responding-to-drug-call-cops/ar-BBBamoH

Inside Edition
Caitlin Nolan

An Ohio police officer suffered a serious fentanyl overdose after accidentally touching the substance while responding to a drug-related call, officials said.

East Liverpool Police Officer Chris Green responded to a traffic stop on Lisbon and West 8th Streets, where the driver of a blue Monte Carlo, identified as 25-year-old Justin Buckel, had allegedly performed a drug transaction just before 9 p.m. Friday, Police Chief John Lane told InsideEdition.com.
When Buckel and passenger Cortez Collins, 24, realized they were being stopped, the pair allegedly tried to get rid of the evidence that officials believe was fentanyl, Lane said.

“They [the suspects] rubbed it into the carpet, ripped bags open, got in on their clothes, their shoes,” Lane said. “There was white powder everywhere.”

After arresting the men, Green and his fellow officers followed station protocol for handling drugs by wearing gloves and a mask as they searched the car for evidence, authorities said.

Then they went back to the station, where another officer noticed Green had white powder on his shirt.

“They’re sitting there talking, decompressing... and someone said to him, 'You got something on your shirt.’ He brushed it off and they went back to talking,” Lane said.

But Green’s condition quickly deteriorated, and he eventually fell unconscious in an suffering an apparent overdose after coming into contact with the powder on his shirt.

“He said, ‘I don’t feel good,’ and passed out,” Lane said.

Green was given one dose of Narcan at the police station, and then an ambulance rushed him to a local hospital, where he was given three additional doses of Narcan, officials said.

Though his condition has since improved, Green was still recovering from the incident as of Monday.

“I know he’s been having headaches; his chest is hurting, he said it feels like someone kicked him in the chest,” Lane said.

Though Green’s experience was life-threatening, it could have been far worse, Lane said.

“Think about this,” he said. “Nobody sees that on his shirt. He leaves and goes home, takes off that shirt, throws it in the wash. His mom, his wife, his girlfriend goes in the laundry, touches the shirt — boom. They drop. He goes home to his kid. ‘Daddy! Daddy!’ They hug him — Boom. They drop. His dog sniffs his shirt, it kills his dog. This could never end.”

The incident is a harrowing reminder of the dangers first responders are exposed to when dealing with an American drug epidemic that has left some Ohio communities crippled, including Columbiana County and the city of East Liverpool, officials said.

“It hasn’t gotten any better,” Lane told InsideEdition.com, remarking on the issues the area has faced since his department first made headlines for sharing photos in September of a stoic child sitting in the backseat of a car as his grandmother and her boyfriend overdosed on what was believed to be heroin.

“What are we supposed to do with this? You can’t have an officer doing that [search] by himself. He can go home and die. It’s just the smallest amount that can kill, like a granule of sugar — or if it gets airborne, it can kill more than one person,” Lane said.

Buckel and Cortez were both charged with tampering with evidence and remained in custody at the Columbiana County Jail Monday, online records show.

They allegedly told police that the substance in the car had been cocaine, but after a field test showed that not to be the case, the men said it was fentanyl.

The substance was removed from the scene and packaged for lab testing. Based on the results of that testing, the men could face further charges, authorities said.

“These guys were telling [the police] it was cocaine, they lied,” Lane said. “They’re not concerned with the other people who use that car. They throw it out to get it away from them; they don’t care about a kid who could find it in the grass. It’s insane.”

In combatting the issue, Lane said the fight needs to start in schools, where children need to be educated on the dangers of these drugs, the legislative levels to increase the penalties connected to these drugs and on an outreach level to help those grappling with addiction.

“We just don’t have the resources to do it,” he said.

Re: Police Officer Overdoses on Fentanyl After Responding to Drug Call: Cops

Mica
Good read, thanks for sharing.  Not to be evil, but this is a cheap and easy way to do a mass terrorist attack.  Crazy sounding?

Re: Police Officer Overdoses on Fentanyl After Responding to Drug Call: Cops

Speaking of drugs and overdoses this 1 is a new 1 to me,Imodium the diarrhea medication.I wasn't aware it had opiates in it and I guess it can be fatal to the heart and Naloxone won't work for that.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/drug-users-turning-to-imodium-for-relief-but-risk-sudden-death/vi-BBB2sP3?ocid=iehp

Re: Police Officer Overdoses on Fentanyl After Responding to Drug Call: Cops

ENDTHEWAR
I've been a heroin addict for the last ten years. Been on suboxone for the last year and haven't touched dope...but yeah I would stock up on immodium when I kicked...I'd eat a ton of em and theyd take a bit of the edge off.

Re: Police Officer Overdoses on Fentanyl After Responding to Drug Call: Cops

This fentanyl thing is really starting to get out of hand!5 years ago fentanyl was in less than 1% of heroin,in 2016 39% of heroin had it and this year 60% which means the majority!The amount of overdoses have doubled in the last year and 83% of overdoses had fentanyl in the product!This was just released from Health Canada.I'm pretty sure it's similar stats in US.The article is interesting in the sense of where the general trend is heading in the drug market.Amazingly there hasn't been 1 fatal overdose at any safe injection sites.1 safe injection site said out of 2,000 people shooting up there were about 85 OD's but no fatalities as they were able to apply the antidote.These stats above the drugs were tested from busts some being at the US/Canada border.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/shocking-rise-of-fentanyl-in-seized-street-drugs-1.4393906