Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

Bjeff
Torreón

Edgar Cabrera Villa, who until this week was director of Public Security of Matamoros, outside of Torreon, was arrested yesterday for possession of firearms exclusively used by the Army and possession of  cocaine.

The police chief was discharged on Wednesday, when he refused to submit to the tests of control and confidence that were applied to half of the municipal corporation, said Gerardo Villarreal, Secretary of Public Security of Coahuila.

He explained that Cabrera Villa was arrested yesterday at dawn by government agents in the town of Matamoros and made ​​available to federal authorities.

He explained that the former police chief were found with two firearms used exclusively by the military, which lacked proper documentation and an envelope containing white powder, possibly cocaine.

On Wednesday, Cabrera Villa and 63 of his subordinates were taken by surprise at State Center of Control and Confidence, to undergo tests.

Source:
http://www.zocalo.com.mx/seccion/articulo/arma-narco-a-jefe-policiaco-de-coahuila-1357982476

Map:
http://goo.gl/maps/mhkcV

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

Mitch Oriso
Bjeff, Thank for the post.

I am sure there is much more to this story.

1.) What two weapons was he found with?

2.) Why was he not allowed to have firearms?

3.) Why were 63 of his subordinates "arrested" for two firearms and an envelope of cocaine.

4.) Why 63 "Deputies", is that the entire police force for that municipality?

Also, please note its Matamoros, Coahuila a municipality NOT Matamoros, Tamps. the city next to the US Border.

Saludos
Mitcho

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

EL GUAPO
Mitch,

In answer to #3......

The Feds have been rounding up municipal police officers at random and unannounced for several years now, taking their weapons for testing, and taking the officers en masse in for polygraphs, drug testing, psych testing etc in an effort to root out the corrupt cops.

Here in Nuevo Laredo, that's happened several times over the past 6 years and currently, we do not have any municipal police officers on the street nor transito cops. And because of it, astoundingly, our crime rates, accident rates are wayyyyy down over here.

We do have have Tamaulipas State Police units patrolling the streets in convoy and it seems to be working well.
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

Baggy
Answer = because only the army should be trafficking drugs.............

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

Tamaulipas

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

Bjeff
Mitch Oriso:

Yeah, there is more to the story, but I don't know the whole scope.

1. I am no expert on weapons, but another article said it was to handguns with caliber .357 and 9 mm.

2. He didn't have a permit for the guns in his possession. Gun laws in Mexico are very strict.

3. The whole police department was subjected to a drug and confidence test, which about 55 officers passed, and the rest was fired.

4. Don't know the exact number of officers who got fired, sources vary, but another article I found says the Deputy Director also got arrested along with the secretary. Seems like some cartel had sneaked in at the top level.

Source:
http://www.excelsior.com.mx/index.php?m=nota&id_nota=878947&seccion=seccion-nacional&cat=1

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

Bjeff
Found this as well, quite interesting story really (Sorry for google translator only):

Army disarms police
By: El Siglo De Durango / La Laguna, Durango.

In Matamoros, Coahuila, captured Director and Deputy Director of Public Safety and deliver them to the PGR.

Federal authorities took action against municipal police in Gómez Palacio and Lerdo, Durango, and Matamoros, Coahuila, relieving agents surveillance tasks.

In Gomez Palacio, the Army disarmed from Thursday night to the local police for a "review", and soldiers took over security duties as the mayor Rocío Rebollo. In Lerdo municipal officials also were disarmed by the army.

Since last Saturday, 133 municipal police Gómez Palacio and Lerdo were sent to military training camp in Pueblo Nuevo, Durango.

The rest of the officers were withdrawn from surveillance between Thursday and Friday, prompting a protest by about 100 policemen against his treatment by the Army.

Six policemen returned to Pueblo Nuevo on their own and reported abuse and poor conditions in the training camp, where they were taken.

In Matamoros, Coahuila, days after they were removed from their municipal functions to be tested for reliability, the army arrested the director and deputy director of Public Safety for delivery to the PGR.

The police chief matamorense, Edgar Cabrera Villa, was arrested with two guns for which no license and was carrying a bag of white powder presumed to be cocaine, according to the State Attorney.

Meanwhile, the 58 municipal police officers who returned to Matamoros after presenting no confidence tests resumed their work, so that monitoring of the municipality is in charge of the army and the federal and state police.

Source:
http://www.elsiglodedurango.com.mx/noticia/418242.ejercito-desarma-a-policias.html

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

EL GUAPO
I find it odd about the "possession of weapons for exclusive use of law enforcement and military" violation stated here, seeing how he was the Chief of municipal police department and therefore authorized to be in possession of those weapons as would be his officers in his command....

Only thing I can think would be the case here would be if he had prohibited weapons in his home for personal use.....
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

Bjeff
The article did not say exclusive use of law enforcement, did it? My Spanish is not that good, but I think it only said exclusive use of military.

Anyways, he was fired on Wednesday last week and arrested on Friday so either way he was not in law enforcement anymore when arrested, and I suppose fired officers are required to turn in their weapons, right?

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

EL GUAPO
I didn't read the source article, relying instead on Bjeff's original posting......

However, logically, a prohibited weapon, in this case a .357 and a 9mm would fall under that law....

I believe under Mexico's gun laws, anything up to a .38 caliber or a .380 auto is permitted with proper registration, permits etc as well a long guns up to .30 caliber and a shotgun up to 12 ga with a barrel longer than 25 inches.....
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

Bjeff
You should always look at the source when I post things

I am learning though.

Would you care to explain why .357 and 9 mm is banned? Is it more likely to kill someone than these other calibers you mention? I didn't really learn anything when I was in the army, can only remember shooting with Glocks and MP-5s, so some enlightenment would be appreciated.

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

EL GUAPO
Bjeff, The calibers mentioned are what are in Mexico's gun laws.......  Why? Only the politicians that wrote the law could tell you.....

But I would assume they are calibers adequate for home protection (handguns) and hunting (long guns & shotguns)

And it makes sense... Hell, when I was in the Air Force back in the days of the Sopwith Camels, our sidearms were S&W .38 Combat Masterpieces........  Powers that be considered them adequate for what we did.

BTW........ Bjeff, I just read the original source articles from the links you posted and they do say for exclusive use by the armed forces, etc....
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

EL GUAPO
Unlike the US, Mexico codifies it's laws concerning firearm ownership within it's Constitution....

Currently the Constitution states:

Article 10. The inhabitants of the United Mexican States have a right to arms in their homes, for security and legitimate defense, with the exception of arms prohibited by federal law and those reserved for the exclusive use of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and National Guard. Federal law will determine the cases, conditions, requirements, and places in which the carrying of arms will be authorized to the inhabitants.

This is a 1917 revision to the previous Article 10 which stated:

Article 10: The inhabitants of the United Mexican States are entitled to have arms of any kind in their possession for their protection and legitimate defense, except such as are expressly forbidden by law, or which the nation may reserve for the exclusive use of the army, navy, or national guard; but they may not carry arms within inhabited places without complying with police regulations

If you'll notice, the difference is miniscule but changes the intent of the law dramatically..... "Entitled" was changed to "Right" and makes it specific the "right" is for possession within the home.....

In the 1857 Constitution, there was an explicit "right to carry" without apparent restriction.....

Article 10: Every man has the right to have and to carry arms for his security and legitimate defense. The law will indicate which arms are prohibited and the penalty for those that will carry prohibited arms.

Article Two of the Federal Law of Firearms allows possession and carrying of handguns (pistolas) in calibers of .380 or less, although some calibers are excluded, most notably .357 magnum and 9mm parabellum. Shotguns (escopetas) are permitted in 12 gauge or smaller. Rifles (same word in English and Spanish) are also permitted, in .30 caliber or smaller.

This Chief was probably busted under the Article Two provisions.......

Thanks, Guapo. I take it got something to do with power then.

Re: Police Chief in Matamoros arrested

EL GUAPO
I think it has everything to do with enforcement of the law and the Constitution as it's written...

We've had the same thing happen here in Nuevo Laredo several times since the shit hit the fan in 2006.......

The latest was over 18 months ago and we still have no municipal cops on the streets and the transitos are not allowed on the streets unless called to the scene of an accident. And even then, they respond in groups of 4 with the military or State Police watching their every move.......

And you know? Crime is down here in Nuevo Laredo it seems. The streets are safe. Motorists more or less drive with more caution, a little more courtesy......

Idle Nuevo Laredo Police Units

Nuevo Laredo Police Building