Playa de Baghdad near matamoros tamps

Catdog
Just wandering if anyone is has drove down there recently.ive always wanted to drive down there,I go to matamoros a lot and have never had a problem but never took the drive to Baghdad beach.
MX

Re: Playa de Baghdad near matamoros tamps

MX
Yes. I was there in June and August. I stayed at one of those overnight cabins during my first visit. The drive there is pretty safe during the sunlight. You may see suspicious vehicles at gas stations on your way there, but that’s really nothing to worry about. You’ll be fine even if you have Texas license plates since a lot of people from the Rio Grande Valley go to the beach. Honestly, worry more about keeping your eyes on the road for drunk drivers and other hazards (e.g. cyclists, dogs, or debris).

Most people start showing up at the beach past lunch time. I personally like the beach less busy and go around 10:00AM and leave around 6:00PM. If you don’t want to pay MXN$100 for a palapa, bring your own roof. If you wanna hangout on the beach next to your vehicle, take a right on the side road instead of parking on the central parking lot when coming in through the main entrance.

Restaurants are cash only. Same goes for vendors, of course. Bring many 20s, 50s, and a few 100s bills. Try the oysters, fried fish sticks with lime, and the spicy grasshoppers. Let me know if you have more questions. Enjoy!

Re: Playa de Baghdad near matamoros tamps

Catdog
MX
Thank you for the good information,I think I will drive down there the first nice day.or maybe take the bus.the fish and oysters sound good,not sure about the grasshoppers?   Are they real grasshoppers? I know they are eaten some places in the world. Do you remember the name of the restaurant you stop at?   Many thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 30, 2018, at 2:17 AM, MX [via Borderland Beat Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes. I was there in June and August. I stayed at one of those cabins overnight during my first visit. The drive there is pretty safe during the sunlight. You may see suspicious vehicles at gas stations on your way there, but that’s really nothing to worry about. You’ll be fine even if you have Texas license plates since a lot of people from the Rio Grande Valley go to the beach. Honestly, worry more about keeping your eyes on the road for drunk drivers and other hazards (e.g. cyclists, dogs, or debris).

Most people start showing up at the beach past lunch time. I personally like the beach less busy and go around 10:30AM and leave in the late afternoon. If you don’t want to pay MXN$100 for a palapa, bring your own roof. If you wanna hangout on the beach next your vehicle, take a right on the side road instead of parking on the central parking lot when coming in through the main entrance.

Restaurants are cash only. Same goes for vendors, of course. Bring many 20s, 50s, and a few 100s bills. Try the oysters, fried fish sticks with lime, and the spicy grasshoppers. Let me know if you have more questions. Enjoy!

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Playa-de-Baghdad-near-matamoros-tamps-tp4104362p4104364.html
To unsubscribe from Playa de Baghdad near matamoros tamps, click here.
NAML
MX

Re: Playa de Baghdad near matamoros tamps

MX
No problem!

The bus might be a bit of a hassle if you ask me. I think you'll be more comfortable driving your car there. It takes about 35 minutes to get there from Lauro Villar/Ciudad Industrial neighborhoods in Matamoros if you're driving your own car. I would guess its way longer with the bus.

The restaurant I ate at was Restaurante Miramar. And yes, real grasshoppers (sold by the beach vendors). Street vendors sell some cool keychains too. I personally got one for my extra set of house keys.

Forgot to mention that there is a voluntary entrance fee at the booth when you arrive. Most people don't give, but the money goes to a municipal organization that takes care of the beach. Some people don't give money to them because they think the money will end up in the Gulf Cartel's hands, but I've seen some of those folks pick up trash when I go fishing in the early mornings around 5AM. Your call if you wanna give them a few pesos, but don't feel obliged to.

If you wanna explore the beach, take a four-wheeler (Spanish: cuatrimoto) if you have one. Just make sure to park on the side beaches instead of the central part. Don't bring glass bottles, and it might be a good idea to bring your own grill too.