Piedras Negras

SrWarden
I am wanting to hear about the safety of traveling and staying in Piedras Negras.

My church has had Mission Trips there for the last several years.  One of our parishioners and his wife have been going to PN for 22 years.  However, some of our church leaders are advising us to stop our PN missions.

We normally travel to PN mid-morning.  We have a church we are associated with that we park our pickups behind a closed gate.  Our mission is to repair, extend and build new housing for the church's parishioners.  We are now finishing up a house that was built from ground up.

We stay at a local pastor's compound.  We always are there well before dark and do not leave until daylight the next morning.  The compound is also behind closed gates.  All our vehicles are parked in the compound.  Sometimes we eat breakfast, lunch or dinner out in the city.  Sometimes we stay at the Hotel California, if the compound is being used for other purposes.

How safe are we?

Our priest sermonizes with having no fear of becoming a martyr for Christ.  Personally, I have that fear and do not intend to put myself in harm's way.

I can support the mission financially from Texas, but want to personally participate in the work in PN.

Are we safe?  Also, I might re-post this message every several months, since I understand that PN is currently one of the safer border cities.
ZOG

Re: Piedras Negras

ZOG
it says in the bible .."tempt not the lord thy god"...i think you can apply that to this circumstance

Re: Piedras Negras

If you are coming in through eagle pass you are ok.  PN has heated up greatly opposed to last year but have a greater federal presence.  However the situation is fluid.  I have a project called project 72, names for the slaughter in tamps, we go 2-3 times per mo to the migrant shelters and one is in PN.  PIC is at the shelter-these are all CA migrants with the padre, we give backpacks filled with supplies and ohince cards etc and offer a ticket back to CA.  only 10% elect to go back.    We have not seen any violence or even tense situations.  I would not send my crew there at night and not at all if it was unsafe, I continually check libre social networks to test the waters.  seems calm now but if you read my post about safety travel in that area you will see the parents would not allow the students to stay at the ranch near acuna, fear has heighten, but those parents felt PN was safer than zaragosa and acuna.

I have read this week that visitors from the US are returning to PN and Acuna.  sort of ironic since mexcians are more nervous.  I would not hesitate to go under the circumstances you have outlined.
I like your style, I could also simply write a check but I need to be hands on, my offices are in coahuila.
if you want more info you can email me and I can get you in touch with the padre there or even school directors and friends in PN that will give you the truth.

Hope this helps

Re: Piedras Negras

curioso
Right  now I can tell you that there is a heavy presence of Marina in PN, my family and I have literally bumbed into them shopping the last two weeks. I'm not sure what to make of that, I have heard it is due to upcoming elections but who knows. I live in PN and work both in PN and in Eagle Pass. I have not seen anything myself, nor do I feel threatened or unsafe in any way. I would say it's fairly safe at the moment, but as always know the signs. You seem like you know what you are doing.
Hope that helps.

curioso
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience