Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

ArmChairIntellect
Love this thread Kid and Blanca!!

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

Siskiyou_Kid
Wow, thanks ACI. I thought I might be posting something inconsequential.

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

La Flama Blanca
Yes, thanks Armchair!

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

Hey Kid...

Depending on what part of the county you live in, looks like you could be impacted directly or "closely" to one or more of the fires?

My son has a couple of crews up there, I think he returns Thursday.

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

Siskiyou_Kid
Yes, we have been heavily impacted by smoke, although the sky is bright and blue today.

The orange blocking the sun out and the constant sound of helicopters makes it feel kind of apocalyptic after a few weeks. We have a new one burning in a nearly wilderness I didn't even know about, but it doubled in size yesterday and when the wind shifts I'm sure we'll see the effects.

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

A new fire started hours ago a few miles from our home. The air is smoky and full of falling ash. There is the constant drone of choppers and air tankers. It's very windy and moving quickly in our direction. It just jumped a river. Nearby homes are evacuating.

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

huero minuto
 Hope you're ok.  This is coyo from san joaquin.  The northern california fires relate to the border wars.
      Because of the treaty of guadalupe hidalgo 1848.  That gave us The gold rush.  Many, many indigenous died.  Yet we did not give in to hate.
       The forests were cut.  And our springs dried up.  This is fact.  Now the salmón are dying.
        Borderland beat.  Indigenous nations.  Why does no one make the connection?

Jstanothercoyo

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

Siskiyou_Kid
Yeah, we are good. I get your point on the border.

It has been another year of smoke, and the future looks bad.

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

Fires are a part of living in the mountains, we prepare and wait, but that does not make it any easier when the "big one" comes.

My son fought in all the big fires, when he became engineer, he still had to move into the most dangerous of areas, don't feel too badly about hearing the hot shots and fire helicopters, feel badly when you DON'T hear them.

They lost a FF this week, a young father from So Dakota.  People don't realize when firefighters are staged in the mountain fires, they are IN the mountains, sleeping in sleeping bags no tents, surrounded by lots of smoke.  It takes months to stop coughing.  As a mother I hate to hear he is going to a mountain fire, nothing is really in the control of FF, a wind shift could and has killed 10 or more  FF.

He is promoted now and is no longer fighting fires.  He is there in a  supervisory role and conducting pressers and news interviews.  But still, he has to be with his crews in the thick of it.  He says they have good control of the  area now, lets hope it stays that way, the weather doesn't help and it is suppose to heat up.

Remember the "Old Fire"  aka Cedar Fire of 2003?  part of the so cal "Fire Seige".   The second largest fire in California History.  Cedar Glen, Lake Arrowhead.  Cedar Glenn got the worse of it, nothing was left but chimneys.  Sadly, most of the small homes and cabins there were owned by people who were from Zacatecas (about 60%) and are the housekeepers, landscapers etc and did not have insurance.

 Firemans Fund, my insurer, had called me to advise my property was on the probable loss list.  My property, butted up to Cedar Glen.  A creek on my property separated the two cities.  Mine is Arrowhead.  I had just removed apx 100 trees, some illegally but I was afraid of the event of a fire.  a couple weeks later the fire.  After the fire the government paid for everyone's property to be thinned out from trees.  The tree huggers did not allow it for many years and that overgrowth sustained the fire.

800 homes completely destroyed right behind me, the fire stopped at my property and angled south.  another 2 or 300 completely destroyed on the northside of the lake and the golf course.

Firemans Fund is the best insurance company (now they sold to ACE)  they sent a crew up to my property to check for smoke damage etc.  there was none.  and my generator kept the april aire units going.  there was zero smell inside my two homes on the property.

they are a great investment.  If you want info I can email you.  My broker since then recommends them to all her clients in fire danger areas.

BTW..my insurance company may drop all mountain fire policies.  That sucks.  it will be so difficult to obtain a replacement.  As it is... it is so expensive.  I saw Gov Moonbeam on TV last night saying hey may implement something like the earthquake insurance coverage for fire coverage.  I hope so, or many people will suffer.

Re: Photos of Chapo's house in La Tuna

Siskiyou_Kid
Wow, thank you for the great advice and congratulations on being so fortunate..............due to some important foresight and planning.

Yes, good fire insurance is so important, and now new earthquake models about a possible subduction quake in the Pacific Northwest show that extreme Northern California face far more possible damage if one hits..........even in areas 50-100 miles inland. Modern building should survive fairly well, but some build more than 20 years ago probably lacked the proper building codes to survive the big one.