Peter Berg turned down El Chapo movie over safety concerns

Peter Berg turned down El Chapo movie over safety concerns

Mica
Xpose.ie

Filmmaker Peter Berg has abandoned plans to make a movie about drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman for fear his Los Angeles boxing gym could be targeted by Latino thugs.

The crime boss was recaptured in January, 2016, after spending months on the run in the jungles of Mexico following an escape from prison.
During his bid for freedom, El Chapo met with actor Sean Penn and agreed to be the subject of a Rolling Stone magazine interview, while making it clear he was interested in a movie about his life.

And now Deepwater Horizon director Berg has revealed he almost took on the project.

"I got out of the El Chapo business," the filmmaker, who owns the Wild Card West boxing gym, tells The Hollywood Reporter. "We have a lot of Hispanic fighters from Mexico. Two days after his (El Chapo's) escape, two of my fighters came in and asked if they could talk to me, and then told me that El Chapo wanted to meet with me.

"That's when I realised, 'Hollywood thinks it's a cool idea to make a movie'. (But) this is a very dangerous group of individuals. And this is my gym, where I work out and train, and my child comes in.

"I said, 'Tell Mr. Chapo, first of all, good job on your escape'. I will not be making a film. I wish him all the best."

But Berg did take on a project about his Battleship star Rihanna's life, which he is in the process of completing after filming last year (16).

"We've got about a thousand hours of footage," he adds. "That was a fun change of pace. After Lone Survivor and Deepwater and Patriots Day, where all these men run around with guns, to go travel with Rihanna around Europe... Rihanna is surrounded by girls."

But the documentary wasn't without its drama: "We were in Nice (in France). She was going to do a concert on Bastille Day (in July, 2016). And that truck driver who killed all those people plowed through them right in front of our hotel. So even in me trying to do something light, I had a very, very front row seat to something that horrific."

Re: Peter Berg turned down El Chapo movie over safety concerns

Mexico-Watcher
Mica wrote
 re. Peter Berg, in part, you posted: .... "We have a lot of ... fighters from Mexico. ... two of my fighters came in and told me that El Chapo wanted to meet with me.

"That's when I realised, 'Hollywood thinks it's a cool idea to make a movie'. (But) this is a very dangerous group of individuals. And this is my gym, where I work out and train, and my child comes in.

"I said, 'Tell Mr. Chapo, first of all, good job on your escape'. I will not be making a film. I wish him all the best."
I just looked up Peter Berg on Wikipedia and discovered that he is a talented, accomplished, and "worldly" man. From his professional experiences in many places, I'm sure that he understands potentially dangerous situations. Thus, his cautious instincts to reject doing a Chapo movie. Sometimes, we have to listen to that lil voice that whispers, "Don't go there."

Re: Peter Berg turned down El Chapo movie over safety concerns

I liked his work in 'The Kingdom', very Mann influenced.  I think some of the Hollywood crowd are a little overzealous regarding the danger of working on a movie.....I think Berg could have made a better movie then many, but I still am not disappointed this won't be made. Though, of course the possibility exists that a less talented, hacky director will pick up the project.

Re: Peter Berg turned down El Chapo movie over safety concerns

Hollywood Union maybe? Otherwise its considered an indie film!interns galore!!

So chapo faked wanting into getting in kate pants to actually get into peter bergs sweaty boxing shorts! Now it really make sense i bet kate really feels dumb now.

Re: Peter Berg turned down El Chapo movie over safety concerns

Tully
I'd been waiting to hear about a follow-up to the late 2014 articles that announced he would be directing "The Hunt For El Chapo" movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/peter-berg-tackling-hunt-el-749964

Since no news came out, and he had had made a couple big movies in the meantime ("Deepwater Horizon" and "Patriot's Day" just out), I assumed the project had been dropped.

I assumed it was dropped because a lot of the drama of what led to the capture in Feb 2014, didn't look so interesting after the tunneling escape in July 2015.  And then the re-capture in Jan. 2016, including the whole Kate del Castillo/Sean Penn thing.  Like later events overtook the original New Yorker article.

But I guess we have to take him at his word.

Has anyone heard an update on the news that came out about the same time on Charlie Hunnam playing "La Barbie" in "American Drug Lord," that screenwriter Jason Hall was to adapt from a Rolling Stone article?

http://deadline.com/2015/01/charlie-hunnam-jason-hall-american-drug-lord-1201350329/

It looks like that's been dropped too.  I can't find anything newer than about a year ago when there was a social media storm about whether Hunnam should be playing a (very light-skinned) Mexican American.

Neither Hunnam's nor Hall's Wiki pages say anything about it (in future projects, etc.).

And the latest thing I can find on Ridley Scott's direction on Don Winslow's novel "The Cartel" (2015), is that Scott scooped up the rights to the next cartel book before it's even come out.  But I can't find anything about a timeline on the film for the first book.

Anyone know anything else about these last two?