Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

_Bones
Pablo's reign of terror isnt necessarily a good indicator of his influence. Chapo could easily order a bombing campaign, but why would he want to? They are both powerful in their own right, and its tough to compare across generations. But in my opinion, Pablo wouldnt last as long in modern day mexico as Chapo has.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

La Flama Blanca
I think Escobar had a similar mindset in regards to revenge and violence  of El Mencho today.  Act first out of rage and kill the police, the gov, the military.  They are bandits, outlaws, %1ers, thieves, and they didn't/don't follow the regular social norms of society.  Now was Escobar as business savvy and intelligent as Chapo? Probably.  I don't know if Escobar was looking ahead, and down the road as much as Chapo is/was.  I feel that Pablo was after power and money, but Chapo is also in it for the longevity as well.  Besides Chapo has a lot of kids, and family members, and relatives to take care of, as well as an entire region to employ.  He the most wanted man in the world, yet he is the most beloved person in a country next to the united states.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Bajadrone-2

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Siskiyou_Kid
Sorry my bad. I had father and son mixed up. So it's possible Fabio Restrepo was some way related to the father, I don't know.

Fabio Restrepo was the godfather of the Medellin cocaine business in the 1970's, and through him the Ochoa brothers got their start sending small loads to Miami and New York.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Bajadrone-2

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Siskiyou_Kid
Escobar supposedly had Fabio Restrepo, who the Ochoa brother worked for, killed in 1975.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

stevectpa
Another huge difference is the advancement of technology when Escobar was a kingpin versus El Chapo's network today.  You can't come close to comparing the two.  Escobar was a pioneer with his methods of distribution, while El Chapo exploits today's technology to network/monitor with corrupt politicians, law enforcement, and military.  Escobar didn't have that advantage, thus his initiatives moved at a much slower pace.  In any event, Escobar was a vicious scumbag and Chapo is a current p.o.s.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Chimera
[This is very interesting. On October 31, "Business Insider" published a story about just what this post and comments have been discussing. It is a longish article with a number of charts and very large pictures (which we have all seen here). I'm sorry I don't have time now to put the whole thing up, but here is the beginning and link to it.]

How 2 of the world's most powerful and dangerous drug lords compare

    Samantha Lee, Christopher Woody and Amanda Macias
    Oct. 31, 2015, 9:59 AM

Since the late 1970s, two men have emerged as the most powerful and most dangerous drug lords in the world.

Pablo Escobar, a farmer's son from rural Colombia, and Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, a product of Mexico's rugged Sierra Madre Mountains, have delivered immeasureable amounts of cocaine and other drugs to the world during their respective reigns.

In doing so, they've amassed obscene amounts of wealth — and exposed the world to unimaginable levels of terror.

While a direct comparison of Escobar's Medellin cartel and Guzmán's Sinaloa Federation is difficult — they've dealt with different products, different competition, and different markets — looking at the two groups' leaders side by side gives some idea of their power and influence.

Read the rest here: http://www.businessinsider.com/pablo-escobar-el-chapo?nr_email_referer=1&utm_content=BISelect&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_campaign=BI%20Select%20Weekend%202015-11-01&utm_term=Business%20Insider%20Select

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Great link[links] to Escobar and great read.Thanks for that SKid.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

sacajundude
The Ochoas were well-known for their paso fino horse breeding, but were not so wealthy prior to getting involved in the trade... They owned Las Margaritas, a popular restaurant in Medellin, and due to razor-thin margins in that business, were looking to expand into something more profitable. Escobar was already known as an up-and coming gangster in Medellin who asserted his image by killing anyone who got in his way. He recruited most of his sicarios from dirt-poor barrios such as Monrovia, Aranjuez, Doce de Octubre, Castilla, Belen Rincon, and El Tablazo to do his dirty work. Escobar's widow and her family were able to apparently able to transfer a lot of his fortune to Brazil and Argentina, where they reside now. His son doesn't need to sell t-shirts to make a living these days; he is a well-regarded architect in Buenos Aires.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Cuidado
So Stevectpa your saying Escobar didn't have police, politicians, and the military on his payroll but Chapo does? Pablo had the entire Medellin police force on his payroll and was a member of congress...lol  The army commanders in Medellin were also working for him.  The Medellin cartel had a vast network of the communications, security, and everything else in-between.  It wasnt that long ago..  Not sure what your trying to say really.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

J. Stewart
As I interpret Stevectpa:s message he/she means that todays technology makes it easier and faster to communicate in all different lines, from production to the buyers.

And surely; it`s easier to communicate today then it was in the early -90:s.

Re: Pablo Escobar vs El Chapo.

Cuidado
I hear ya..makes sense then. I just didnt really understand.
12