PSC MORELOS LEADER ARRESTED FOR JUAN FRAN SICILIAS MURDER- Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March

PSC MORELOS LEADER ARRESTED FOR JUAN FRAN SICILIAS MURDER- Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March

5/25/11...3 ARRESTS MADE:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/05/25/chief-suspect-murder-mexican-poets-son-arrested/

"Sad is the Country That needs a Hero" Has Mexico Found Theirs?

by Chivis Escareño-Martinez..May 5,  2011

Perhaps it was Egypt, witnessing the Egyptian people so perfectly executing  their grassroots revolution, pure in form the people of Egypt demonstrated to the world what political action is supposed to look like.  Or perhaps it was Libya, not as pretty was their revolution but impressive non the less, with unbendable courage and unfailing determination grasping the moment as if another opportunity may not ever present itself, then again perhaps it won't.  Or perhaps,  it was simply  him.... some say he is the hero Mexicans have waited for, a leader they so desperately need to create their own grassroots  revolution.  His determination is that of the strongest caliber,  that of  Superman strength,  gained through love,  pain, anger and the seeking of justice for a beloved  son , taken by those who have cheated Mexico.  Cheated Mexico of its potential, of its security,  of its best and brightest, and of its children's future.

The" hero" is Mexican poet  Javier Sicilia, .  Whose 24 year old  son Juan Francisco Sicilia was brutally murdered in addition to six other young people by Mexican cartel hit men just a short  5  weeks ago. Indignation and outrage flooded Mexico,  a country emotionally exhausted  by Mexico's so called "Drug War" and are fed up with the seemingly inaction or incompetence of its leaders to assure the basic right of all free countries; public security and the ability to move freely with the expectation of their government to provide security as they do.  In an amazing show of  organizational skill within weeks Sicilia organized a rally against violence not only in 30 cities of Mexico, but in the US and Europe as well.

The brutal murders of 24-year-old Juan Francisco Sicilia and the six other young people,  have sparked a wave of indignation in Mexico, where people have been deeply moved by the composure and valor shown by the victim's poet father. A week later the senior Sicilia proclaimed he had written his last poem.  He then read that final poem standing determined and grief-stricken by the memorial erected in honor of his beloved son.  "The world is no longer dignified enough for words," he said.  "This is my last poem, I cannot write more poetry," he concluded his statement with "Poetry no longer exists inside me."   That was the pivotal day for Sicilia, no longer the poet, thinker, and intellectual writer, that day, he  became the Mexican Activist.

in the April issue of Proceso Sicilia quoted Albert Camas among others in urging Mexicans to take to the streets in mass protest.  "We do not want one  more man, one more of our sons, killed!" he wrote in the open letter ending  it  by calling for a movement., " that we must keep alive to destroy the fear and isolation put in our minds and souls by your incompetence, politicians;  and your cruelty, criminals", “Now we are going out into the street to say this:  Every city has its story. Every town has a story. This story is full of faces of pain. … This is a country that cannot tolerate anymore,” he said.  BASTA!

No big deal? Its a big enough deal that Felipe Calderon quickly met with the poet, promising to apprehend those responsible for the death of  Juan Francisco.  Caderon made a gross error in judgment of Sicilia's commitment to the movement.   "Not only one died, there are many dead,  those citizens have the same dignity as my son." said the poet.  Evident by the plan to post memorial plaques with names of victims along the route of the protest.  The silent protest  march that began today in Cuernavaca and concludes in Mexico City on May 8 .

As typical in hot cases, the Mexican government  arrested suspects in the case  in record time. Actually, too much in record time.  Rendering the aprehension of the  suspects being suspect in itself.  Some may say what does it matter? Afterall the suspects are most likely are from a bad element.  Of course it enormously  matters, if the innocent are convicted the guilty go free, and one only needs to view the documentary PRESUMMED GUILTY to see the corrupt and deplorable Mexican judicial system in action.

 It is no coincidence that Calderon issued this statement yesterday on the eve of the protest march, as he called on Mexicans to support a bloody four-year-old military crackdown on drug cartels;

"Your understanding and your support, support from the entire society, is essential. Because some people, in good or bad faith, are trying to stop the government's action," he said late Wednesday in a televised message.

"There is no option to withdraw from the fight. On the contrary, we must redouble our efforts, because if we stop fighting they will kidnap, rob and kill all over the country," Calderon said, his timing oh so transparent.

Sicilia's movement has managed to draw support from unexpected places; the Zapatista National Liberation Army (EZLN) announced its support for the movement started by poet Javier Sicilia. In a communiqué dated April 28, the EZLN leadership declared it would wholeheartedly support the struggle by conducting a silent march of Zapatista base communities in the Chiapas highland city of San Cristóbal de Las Casas on May 7.  Subcomandante Marcos, The leader of EZLN,   announced that the march would conclude with readings of statements in Spanish and indigenous languages. The Zapatistas sharply condemned the Mexican government's anti-organized crime strategy as a "psychotic military campaign by Felipe Calderón Hinojosa".

Mexico desperately needed a leader, one who was impassioned, committed,  perhaps driven by grief or personal history. Is Javier Sicilia the "one"?  Only time will tell positively, however, I for once in all my years in Mexico, have optimism in my spirit and hope in my heart. I am reminded of words not written by Sicilia but would have been appropriate had they been "I have not ceased being fearful, but I have ceased allowing fear to control me".
Addendum:  Report as the march began..all issues represented in the march..words from the poet.Surprising is the diversity of people and groups joining in the march for peace.  It is indicative that this march is not solely about the narco violence, but about injustice and many social struggles.  Mexico needed a leader, this was never so apparent than by those joining the effort.

Examples;

The mother from Hermosillo who lost her baby along with 47 other children in a day care fire deemed being caused by negligence.
Committee Against  Femicide
Fr. Rual Vera Marching for human rights
People from Melatonoc Mountains
People for sexual diversity
Abejas de Chiapas
Cartoonist Rius-who created the graphic "ENough Already!  No More Blood!  Above thrilled to see the march arrive in san miguel topilejo man takes pics as his children wave white flags.

If there was a doubt about it being time, being about more than one cause, this diversity says to the world, it is not about one death, not about one cause, but about accrual of many injustices that have allowed to exist with impunity.

At  7:15 AM as the protest began Javier Sicilia in a press conference urged:
We have to go there and we have to be united as citizens and retake our role that requires us to walk acting in what we the citizens want and hope and is the consensus of all."

Asking them to march in silence he urged for peace in Mexico for three reasons:

"Because the pain is so much, our pain is indescribable.  Because silence is the place for listening and speech, our world is full of noise and of empty words.  Silence is the lace where speech is collected and where speech comes out.  It is a path of meditation."

We're also going to walk in silence to come together.  There is too much pain, there are too many demands and right now the only thing we can do is come togther to unitfy these demands and to look for direction to the country where is the same silence, its own silence.  We're going to walk like that with a lot of dignity, with a lot of grandeur."

Then with these words the march began:

"This is a march for peace, but with justice and dignity.  A peace based in violence, based in fear, based in horror, cannot be in peace.  We are going to walk."

He may have pledged never to again write poetry, but in my opinion with these words he just did.

5/7/11...UPDATE FROM THE GROUND...

An Indigenous Village Plagued by Assassinations Welcomes Peace MarchAfter climbing the mountain that lies between the tropical lowlands of Cuernavaca and the Valley of Mexico at over 7,000 feet, hundreds of marchers filed through the narrow streets of the indigenous village of Coajomulco.COAJOMULCO CHILDREN GREET PEACE MARCH

"In Morelos, defending the forests and wildlife can cost you your life," reads the sign held by the daughters of a local leader who was murdered a year ago after standing up to illegal loggers. The town's efforts to protect its natural resources have led to the murder of two members of the community--Ruben Flores and Miguel Angel Perez--in recent years.

Townspeople greet the march with applause along the way. They have prepared dinner for the hundreds who will sleep overnight there

AND NOTES FROM THE GROUND...REFLECTION:5-7-11
Most of yesterday, the first day of the march, we walked and talked to participants about why they were there. We’ve got a great collection of interviews that include exclusives with Bishop Raul Vera, Mexico’s voice of the progressive church; Ciudad Juarez youth organizer Julian Contreras; Pablo Romo, human rights defender; Luis Rodriguez, father of a young woman shot in the Salvarcar massacre; cultural and media workers; and many more, including Javier Sicilia, the poet whose personal loss catalyzed this march and new phase of the national movement.

Many marchers interviewed talked about a national movement. The mobilization is not just a visceral reaction to pain and the gruesome violence that has gripped Mexico under the drug war. This group of hot and tired marchers represents the core of this new movement. How to characterize it?
As I look around I see all kinds of people, resting before taking to the highway again. Young, old, middle class, poor. They're talking in small groups and munching on the tortillas that always appear in abundance for peoples’ marches--a sign that in Mexico Profundo solidarity still has meaning (and corn rules).

Photos:  top right; Sicilia gives thumbs up today as march begins.
             left: parade of people today as protest begins
             Memorial wreaths for the 37K dead from the drug war,  "The Cruise of Death"
             photo on left is from the protest in April as is the protest pic from foreign countries in support
             of Mexico

             And from today the march begins notice the formation of the peace sign from the marcher
             holding the Mexican flag

Re: Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March, as Calderon Works Damage Control, & Unexpected Support From Zapatistas

so far the march has encountered no violence.  God forbid it does...would they dare?  Those who have no boundaries?

I am keeping my eye on this and have posted an update already and will continue with anything of importance..its a good day for Mexico.  the people marching with such diversified issues really gives me hope.

Re: Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March, as Calderon Works Damage Control, & Unexpected Support From Zapatistas

queremos-paz
"We cannot understand a war that is badly planned, a war that is badly directed. We cannot understand why he does not understand why the criminals are out there. If they are out there, it is because the institutions and the state are co-opted," Sicilia said.

Re: Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March, as Calderon Works Damage Control, & Unexpected Support From Zapatistas

queremos-paz
calderon today speake directly of the march

In a statement Thursday, Calderon's office expressed "its respect for the march ... and each and every person who is participating in it."

The march "revitalizes citizen action as a fundamental means for overcoming inertia and promoting the decisive actions and changes our country needs on fundamental issues like security and justice," it said.

whatever chief-whatever

Re: Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March, as Calderon Works Damage Control, & Unexpected Support From Zapatistas

If you are in the Bay Area of California..This is a worthy series of events..
in support of Mexico's March against Violence.:

Santa Cruz Indymedia | Drug War

Mexican Nonviolence Organizer in SC, Watsonville, Monterey, SF and Bay Area

by Anita Seth ( ifexecdirector [at] gmail.com )
Thursday May 5th, 2011 12:38 PM

Fed up with the spiraling collateral damage of the drug war and sparked by the torture and murder near Cuernavaca of several young people, including the 24-year-old son of Javier Sicilia, poet, columnist and nonviolence activist, Mexican civil society groups are coordinating nationwide actions May 5 to 8, including a march from Cuernavaca to Mexico City.Pietro Ameglio, a prominent Gandhian nonviolence educator/activist and close collaborator of Javier Sicilia, will be in the Bay Area May 13 to 20, speaking about the current crisis in Mexico and the emerging nonviolent resistance.

Fed up with the spiraling collateral damage of the drug war and sparked by the torture and murder near Cuernavaca of several young people, including the 24-year-old son of Javier Sicilia, poet, columnist and nonviolence activist, Mexican civil society groups are coordinating nationwide actions May 5 to 8, including a march from Cuernavaca to Mexico City. The theme for the May 5-8 actions is “Estamos hasta la madre. Alto a la guerra. Por un México justo y en paz,” or “Fed up! Stop the war! For a just and peaceful Mexico.”

The planned actions are building on a groundswell of mass mobilizations and pointed criticism by groups and communities across Mexico over the past few weeks, marking some of the most heated condemnation yet of the Mexican government’s increasingly unpopular military campaign to defeat organized crime . On Wednesday, April 6, over 25,000 people marched for peace in Cuernavaca – one of the largest protests in the history of Morelos (the state where Cuernavaca is located); thousands of people took to the streets in at least 20 Mexican cities to demand an end to the violence and impunity associated with President Calderón’s U.S.-supported “drug war.” That day of protest has been described as a historic “sea change” in Mexican public opinion .
read more:
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/05/05/18678962.php

Re: Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March, as Calderon Works Damage Control, & Unexpected Support From Zapatistas

I POSTED AN UPDTE FROM THE GROUND AND NEW PICS.
RERELFECTIONS FROM MARCHERS.

MIGRANTS ATTACKED FROM PEACE MARCH CARAVAN..NOT HEARD FROM SINCE

MY ORIGINAL WORDS COME BACK TO HAUNT ME.  YES THEY HAVE NO BOUNDARIES

Migrants attacked en route to Mexico’s peace march
By BNO News
MEXICO CITY (BNO NEWS) -- A group of armed men on Friday tried to kidnap three women who were part of a migrants' caravan heading to participate in a march for peace in Mexico City, El Universal newspaper reported.

The group of armed men prevented organizers and immigrants from boarding the train near the city of Orizaba in the state of Veracruz. The caravan was trying to get to Mexico City, where they will join the protest led by Mexican poet Javier Sicilia.

The poet and writer asked for help and called on human rights authorities to meet with the caravan to verify the state of the group since they have not been in contact.

Sicilia and hundred of people left the town of Cuernavaca on Thursday and headed for Mexico City, around 90 kilometres away (56 miles), to protest the increasing violence in the country. They plan to arrive Sunday at the central Zocalo square in Mexico City.

peace rally today...coahuila locations and time

Coahuila Saltillo
––––––––––––––

Zona lagunera
TORREON, GOMEZ PALACIO Y LE–––––––––––––

Torreón (segunda propuesta)

 Plaza de Armas

Av. Universidad y Venustiano Carranza (Marcha, frente al Tecnológico de Saltillo) - Miguel Hidalgo y Benito Juarez (Manifestación)

––––––––––––––

Parque Fundadores––––––––––––––

Fuente del Pensador 8 de mayo, 09h30; la manifestación será en la Plaza de Armas, de 12h00 a 17h00

8 de mayo, 10h00

8 de mayo, 17h00

PSC-MORELOS LEADER ARRESTED FOR JUAN FRAN SICILIAS MURDER.....Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March

PSC Morelos leder arrested for Juan Francisco Sicilas murder...

LINK:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/05/25/chief-suspect-murder-mexican-poets-son-arrested/

Re: PSC-MORELOS LEADER ARRESTED FOR JUAN FRAN SICILIAS MURDER.....Mexico's Hero? Poet Leads Protest March

This arrest I am inclined to believe