Quantcast

PRI

historian
In the late 1960's before President Gustavo Diaz Ordaz became President he was a CIA agent. The CIA was working in Mexico City to fight Cuba, Castro, and the Russians. His successor, President Echeveria, was linked to the Guadalajara Cartel. Who was Mexico's first Padrino, does anyone know?

Re: PRI

moncho
L"Who was Mexico's first Padrino" ??  can you clarify the question, do you mean who was Mx's first mafia godfather?

Re: PRI

Frontera
Also you will recall that during the 60’s Communist were trying to make inroads into Mexico. After a few years they were gone (eliminated). These communist’s lived in cells of 8 to 12 people. Rumor has it that MX business people, and the population, didn’t want communism, so one or two would be left alive per cell, followed to the next cell, where the process would begin again.

Re: PRI

historian
Yes, who was the first Godfather, and who was their successor?

Re: PRI

El Profesor
     Labels come and go and generations come and go but Mexico's "God Father" system really amounted to its' roots in Europe and evolved from a Caballero (or titled Gentleman) to a more indigenous Caudillo (or Boss-some of which was also taken from its indian roots) system that really originally started with the mostly white, landed and titled New Spaniards (the white European-mostly Spanish and French families of Mexico). Of course as history would have it (there are many abundant references to the "Boss" system written from many sources including a good college history book or books on Mexico) the rich and powerful were first originally those of white and landed descendants until the Mexican Revolution came along and you had both whites (Pancho Villa a red headed Celtic looking Mexican) and indians (Emiliano Zapata a self declared indian) in a loose confederation against the landed gentry eventually change the landscape a little bit (but not much) to the point where now the vocal Mestizo (a Mixed race person of white and indian blood) would at least be pretended to be payed attention to (Instead of murdered) by the power elite (which is still pretty much broken down among racial lines all throughout Latin America and Mexico is no exception).

     And along came industrialization and the power of racial and union politics and the Union Bosses at some points got Caudillo type of an aura about them. And then came the discovery of oil and Mexico became a potential country poised for growth etc etc. but the capo or boss system then evolved into something quite curious because now in the age of business it was the person of wealth that became El Influente (or the Great Influencer). And that just basically meant that a person with lots of money behind them used it to empower themselves in the community by making themselves known by many deeds such as giving to political candidates, starting businesses and therefore providing jobs and just basically throwing there money around where ever they saw it prudent including bribes to continue doing what they did to earn that money.

     The demographic of the INFLUENCERS became varied because now many people of mixed race, or white or indian gained power by the pull of money and wealth when they started a little stand and then evolved into a chain of businesses or stores. Many Mexican business people became savvy. The present CRIMINAL CAUDILLO ( or Boss/ God Father system) is just an evolution of that from a loosely or tightly run law abiding Caudillo to a Criminal God Father which I think came from the ideas of Media through popular culture such as the movies etc like Scarface, The God Father, Good Fellas etc.. in other words many of these Nouve Rich Drug Dealing Caudillos are living out Romantic Celluloid Fantasies which they accumulated through the gestation of popular media. Of course this is an oversimplification of this phenomena of behavior but there were other basic sociological factors in place that aided in the formation of the present formation of the Criminal God Father figure and one of them was the Mexican notion of the Anti-Hero. The bad guys always seemed to have some curious appeal in Mexican popular culture as opposed to the perspective from the United States it was always the swash buckling Hero that was the romantic figure of popular culture. There are many reasons for this one is that during the evolution of Mexican Democracy (which initially just one ruling party the PRI which grew in great power and corruption and Mexicans had many limited freedoms we took for granted here) there was either complete hostility toward religion (in this case the Latin Roman Catholic Variety)  or a complete embellishing, meshing, morphing of other ideas into a fanaticism that was uniquely Mexican and the penchant for the morbid obsession with relics of death.(also of the Latin Roman Catholic Variety that borrowed some things from the indigenous religions around them).

     So the atmosphere for a Caudillo (Boss) to go from bad to worse and no one raising an eyebrow was in place. They grew in their power and influence when the became organized and were embellished by many of the children of the rich that actually went to good American and European schools (Such as the Tijuana Cartel-started by bored children of the Elite). The legitimate Elite -such as business people, inheritors of wealth etc (whatever you think of them here, In Mexico, or anywhere else) are now in the battle of their lives with Criminal Organizations such as the Mexican Drug Cartels. The legitimate Elite have given nearly every modern President from the 1950's on to Mexico. Ironically we need to come to their aide in order to help the innocent poor of Mexico and to stop the potential for out of control criminality here among the Hispanic populace but I think they (the wealthy elite) should definitely contribute to solve this nation wide problem of Criminal Gangs no matter what they traffic in whether drugs or human beings.

     The richest man in the world is a Mexican citizen (Carlos Slim Helu and Family worth 53.5 BILLION) and just surpassed Bill Gates in the dollar bill count. Carlos Slim the world's richest man lives in Mexico.
     Senor Carlos Slim Helu needs to put his money where his life is if he expects to survive and in my opinion it was Mexican citizens themselves that started his path to wealth that gave him all that he has. If Mr. Helu has any ounce of gratitude he would reciprocate by organizing his Elite Brethren to step up to the plate with some serious money and also influence other countries along with the United States to immediately come to Mexico's aide and rescue with the whole apparatus and the power behind them to crush these menacing criminals!

Re: PRI

El Profesor
And just to add to the person's question of asked about who the original God Father is that would have to go back to the Mexican President himself and what I mean is he is the de facto leader of the power elite and represents them because he comes from an elite family himself (along with almost every modern Mexican President since the 1950's and some would say earlier) that is fighting to clean Mexico of the Cartel influence over the country.

     So there are societal God Father type of figures such as a President and then there are the Criminal God Fathers of the Drug Cartels and as far as the present leader of the Cartel it is just that a CARTEL "AN ORGANIZED SYNDICATE" or group of men broken down by region with an attached name usually of that region loosely behind the business of drug trafficking that will meet periodically to settle on routes, prices, territory.

     A lot of the bloodshed right now is disputes among the Cartels with each other about many of the above issues including other non-business matters such as disrespect, revenge a take over or coupe etc or any other perceived personal notion. Each cartel has a leader of course and when one dies or is arrested there is the possibility of a lower ranking member wanting to live out his fantasies of grandeur and the cycle of violence starts all over again (something that has happened in many Criminal Gangs around the world historically-nothing unique to Mexico).
???

Re: PRI

???
Jesus Christ, give it a rest already! Just post the link to where folks can buy your book instead of recreating it here.

Re: PRI

El Profesor
I have no book mr or missy smarty pants it's all the years of experience-what do you have?

Re: PRI

IrishMex
Sorry "El Professor", I broke out laughing so hard reading "???" response to your post. I almost choked on my chocolate chip cookies.  I do not mean any disrespect and make note that I actually enjoy reading your very indepth posts, but I can see where some people may think your long winded.  As an educated man I'm sure you are well aware that there are some of us that love to read the most complex of books, those of us who love to look at the pictures, those of us who are too busy in our lives and just love to skim through, and those of us who just can't plain ole read.  I think when you go to explaining things, you literally "break it down"..lol..So my point being is that I think "???" may be one of those that likes to skim through posts. Sorry, it was so funny, I had to comment.  But keep on truckin!
!!!

Re: PRI

!!!
LOL.....this dude brings new meaning to "long winded". I don't know too many folks that want to read something that lengthy on a forum.

Beark it down!!!

Re: PRI

anonymous
I guess the windbag, aka el profesor, never studied PANAMA AND NORIEGA. Speaking of Panama, does anyone think that Mexico will have the same fate?

Re: PRI

El Pobre
Noriegas sister was, and probibly still is dating a Mennonite by the name Froese from British Colombia Canada, who's parents were born in the state of Chihuahua Mx, Oh are the mennonites involved in the drug trade?

Re: PRI

Kinman
I enjoyed reading your post. What can you tell me about Heriberto Lazcano? Or could you at least give me a good source? Thank you

Re: PRI

Mexico-Watcher
Professor: Please keep posting
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your explanations of how Mexico evolved (devolved?) into what it is today. You are a gentleman and a scholar... please ignore the negative remarks by !!!.

BTW, (assuming you saw the recent BB postings on Dr. Mireles), I would love to know your thinking on Dr. Mireles.... and maybe some ideas on how to get him freed from prison ASAP.

Thanks
Mexico-Watcher

PS.
!!!:  IMO and FYI - BB is mainly for grownups with mature minds. So, please don't annoy the serious visitors or posters to BB.  Thanks.

Re: PRI

Wow this is a really old post from 6 years ago but neverthe less interesting.It's good to see I'm not the only 1 that goes back and reads old posts!MW Prof may not be around but maybe he's lurking or stopped posting from that impatient 1 that was on.