Organizational Structure and mngmnt of cartels

Organizational Structure and mngmnt of cartels

Two articles posted on BB today talk about organizational structure of the cartels, the testimony of the migrants, and the Los Angeles Times article about the prosecution of a Sinaloa cell in Calexico.  I have accepted the estimates of 40 or 50 billion a year in drug profits, and the hundreds of thousands of people in or associated with the cartels, but I never really wrapped my head around how they really operated.  The Times article really helped me visualize how they are structured and how they employ the enormous number of people that they do.  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you read it as well as the next 3 articles to come in the series.  At the end of the article there are links labeled "More".  They are fascinating, especially the 40 or so pages of testimony the cell leader testifying against some subordinates.  I encourage you to read them.

MORE: The players | Evidence, wiretaps and testimony | How the drug pipeline worked

They are as well organized as any mutibillion dollar business would be.  They are not just some dope heads  somehow getting their hands on a load of drugs and sneaking it across the border.

Re: Organizational Structure and mngmnt of cartels

I did in fact read it yesterday and was going to construct a post of it, but have not had time.  I thought the interactive video/graphics were very cool also.  That was part 1 Tuesday is part two.

As for the arrrest, I saw the documentary directly subsequent to the take down, with footage of the undercover and it is intriguing.

Link to the article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/cartel/la-me-cartel-20110724,0,6282239.story

The Players; interactive:

http://www.latimes.com/news/graphics/la-me-071411-cartel-family-tree-i,0,2362949.htmlstory

Link to Intereactive traffic cocaine map:

http://www.latimes.com/news/graphics/la-me-071411-cartel-drug-path-i,0,3475946.htmlstory

Evidence & Documents-see half way down on page:

http://documents.latimes.com/cartel/

and the schedule for the additional articles:

First of four parts

Tuesday: The trafficker and the psychic

Wednesday: Clear skies and cocaine

Thursday: Showdown in Sinaloa

Re: Organizational Structure and mngmnt of cartels

lito brito
hey Buela..i am in the city...today on telediario..they reported only 14 killed in all of NL this weekend...and ards favorite person the alcalde de san pedro was having a homage to the fallen..the feel of where i am at is ok..pretty quite..some shooting on calle FCO Madero anoche ..but otherwise ok ..MONTERREY!!!!!!

Re: Organizational Structure and mngmnt of cartels

Briiiiito!!!

Hola!  Man, I don't know it is crazy bad!  The New Juarez, and I think 14 is a much lower number than reality, in Mty alone everyday its a min of 3.  I worry about you my friend, if something happens to you I will have to go over to mainboard and give shit to Ard again, to honor your memory!  JAJAJA...

Seriously, I will worry for you until your back in Texas...

Paz...B

Re: Organizational Structure and mngmnt of cartels

Chupacabra
Yeah..I live here in Monterrey (San Jeronimo) and was surprised that 3 deaths in 2 days over in San Pedro....and in the middle of the friggin day!...in a high traffic area!  Theres a jogging path 20 meters away from where both shootings happened.  Crazy.

My favorite memories so far is standing out on my balcony around 11pm on a calm summer night listening to the blasts in the distance.  they echo off of the mountains so nice.

Re: Organizational Structure and mngmnt of cartels

Havana
Hi DD-  I enjoyed the article yesterday and am looking forward to Tuesday. Thanks for posting them for others. I thought it was ah sobering.  It made me feel like all the large busts of cocaine, pot, precursors, and tunnels and labs of late, as well as deaths and jail terms for many cartel members didn't really matter if profits were 40/50  billion a year and the cartels involve such an immense number of people.  And there are always more.