Opium poppy plantation found in Northern California

Opium poppy plantation found in Northern California

Drugs

Sprawling opium poppy field found in Northern California

 By  Robert Gearty   | Fox News

  Monterey County Sheriff’s Office has reported finding an opium poppy field under cultivation in Moss Landing in Northern California.

People tend to think of the heroin trail as originating in an opium poppy field in Southeast Asia or Mexico -- not in Northern California.

In a statement on Monday, the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office reported a shocking find: a small poppy field on a private plot near a road in Moss Landing, about 15 miles northeast of Monterey, that could produce some four pounds of heroin annually.

“Over the weekend the Sheriff’s Office Investigations Division eradicated one acre of opium poppies, which contained approximately 27,000 plants of opium poppies and another 16,500 harvested plants,” the statement said.

Deputies said they eradicated one acre of opium poppies, which contained 27,000 plants.  (Monterey County Sheriff's Office)

Those plants could have produced a pound and a half of heroin. The plot could have been harvested three times a year.

“The street value of a pound and a half of heroin is approximately $45,000,” according to the statement.

Deputies are investigating after an opium poppy field was found under cultivation on the Monterey Peninsula in California.  (Monterey County Sheriff's Office)
Officials say no arrests have been made, and they continue to investigate, The Associated Press reported.
A 2017 United Nations report listed Afghanistan as the largest opium-producing country in the world, trailed by, among others, Myanmar and Mexico.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/15/sprawling-opium-poppy-field-found-in-northern-california.html

Re: Opium poppy plantation found in Northern California

huero minuto
    I like that fox news headline "sprawling...".  Never really considered 1 acre a vast amount, but wel'll probably see more of this as poppy is easy to grow.   I'm almost to the point where we should just legalize everything and take the criminal element out of drug production.

Jstanothercoyo

Re: Opium poppy plantation found in Northern California

Slappy
Probably just growing it for opium.  I had friends here who did that back in the 80s.

Re: Opium poppy plantation found in Northern California

Cuidado
Well ya they are growing opium for opium lol.....do you mean growing it for thier own personal use?

Re: Opium poppy plantation found in Northern California

huero minuto
I thought of this also, just because its more difficult to find raw opium gum and i'm sure there are some who would rather do that, than heroin.
Jstanothercoyo

Re: Opium poppy plantation found in Northern California

I would think over an acre of poppies would be for more than personal use even including all the relatives.To me that would be like saying it was for a personal garden because the flowers are pretty.It would have to be remote or half hidden so whose to say there might be 10/1 acre plots spread out.1 acre could also be a 'test run' but without an arrest it's highly speculative.It's not like it could be the size of wide open corn fields and those bright red and pink flowers would stand out like a sore thumb way more than an all green plant like weed.Hell,I will speculate and say it's Mexicans growing it and even narrow it done to someone from these 4 states:Sinaloa,Chihuahua,Durango or Guerrero only because experience at growing comes from there.

Could be as you say, tho we've got hmong and lao people also who are knowledgable, don't forget the oaxacenos also know poppy.  Moss landing has some private areas amidst the hills, but I would think Elkorn Slough a little more appropriate.  Often police move the area named slightly just to keep lookyloos at bay.
Jstanothercoyo

Re: Opium poppy plantation found in Northern California

Slappy
Yep, raw opium to smoke