Opinions Close Threads

Locked 23 messages Options

Opinions Close Threads

jason5683
Since different opinions close threads, can anyone intelligently explain why?  Dear moderators that dont agree, what are the rules so this does not happen again.  I asked for an example during Chivo/Chivas-Gate, but just got back lip and no example.

Re: Opinions Close Threads

alturas de vértigo
I'd like to know why having an opinion that it is out of the 'norm' is so offensive to some that they have to complain to an administrator instead of stating how they feel in the thread towards the person, like adults. So Chivo is crass, and is all about 'all cartel must die", but that shouldn't close down a whole thread. He deserves to express is opinions, even if you and I find it outlandish...he still deserves the respect of having an opinion without censorship. Which is what I find 'closing a thread' to be...censorship. The squelching of healthy debate. Just my two cents.
thought=energy

Re: Opinions Close Threads

jason5683
Banned User
I agree Rare that closing a thread is censorship.  I find it disturbing that a moderator will not only close the thread, but publish their opinion immediately before closing the thread and not allowing a contrasting opinion to follow.

If a rule is broken (which the example of such an event has been requested) and the moderator feels they need to close the thread, I challenge them to simply close the thread.  An opinion on the matter in mid sentence of closing it is a cowardly action.

In a real forum such as Microsoft MSDN site, moderators don't given opinions because it is a conflict of interest.

rare wrote
I'd like to know why having an opinion that it is out of the 'norm' is so offensive to some that they have to complain to an administrator instead of stating how they feel in the thread towards the person, like adults. So Chivo is crass, and is all about 'all cartel must die", but that shouldn't close down a whole thread. He deserves to express is opinions, even if you and I find it outlandish...he still deserves the respect of having an opinion without censorship. Which is what I find 'closing a thread' to be...censorship. The squelching of healthy debate. Just my two cents.

Re: Opinions Close Threads

Once things get nasty, particularly when the attacks get personal, a topic has run it's course and the time has come to retire it.

We're talking about another take on Godwin's law.

Re: Opinions Close Threads

1966tinman
 I think that various opinions on a topic /subject should be heard .
 I recently wrote a letter to my city's newspaper that criticized a city official and his buddy , an  economic consultant , who was hired by our city . The newspaper editor offered to publish my letter only IF he could  censor my letter to HIS liking , leaving out information that was pertinent and factual . No doubt he was  afraid to have my opinion reach his loyal readers . I refused his offer and he did not publish my letter . I eventually  had the letter published by a bigger  city newspaper  to the chagrin of the censoring editor , who I believe should be working for the Communists regimes in China , Cuba , or Venezuela .
  Words may offend but censorship is more offensive .

Re: Opinions Close Threads

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Opinions Close Threads

jason5683
Banned User
I agree this was a top site to me at once.  But it requires an open mind. Having an open mind is a beautiful thing.  @DD and I have never agreed on much and he or she loves to get the last word in (more like paragraph), but DD elegantly pursued me into thinking different on marihuana legalization.

Chivis is a no it all and forces her views on others by deleting post that don't agree with her view point.  These deleted post have not broken any rules and her actions are not worthy of being an admin.

Admins, please decide and post rules or else this site will lose a lot of loyal readers when you have rogue admin playing God.

On Jan 25, 2013, at 8:51 AM, †.©ĤİVǾ.† [via Borderland Beat Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Siskiyou_Kid wrote
Once things get nasty, particularly when the attacks get personal, a topic has run it's course and the time has come to retire it.

We're talking about another take on Godwin's law.

So you are supporting censorship by an out of control admin? Are you saying that an admin that posted all of the negatives and is the one responsible for a thread turning nasty and personal are you saying that admin should then use their admin tools as a weapon and censor threads by closing them? Is that what you are saying?

What would you be saying if the positions were reversed and it was me closing threads and censoring people? What would you be posting then?
✧IS THE SOLUTION TO MEXICOS IMMEDIATE PROBLEMS TO JUST KEEP WATCHING ITS DECLINE?✧

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Opinions-Close-Threads-tp4041100p4041138.html
To unsubscribe from Opinions Close Threads, click here.
NAML

Re: Opinions Close Threads

El Regio

Re: Opinions Close Threads

El Regio
Jason that is just a sign of a weak, insecure moderator that needs to be removed from the position of Mod.

jason5683 wrote
I agree Rare that closing a thread is censorship.  I find it disturbing that a moderator will not only close the thread, but publish their opinion immediately before closing the thread and not allowing a contrasting opinion to follow.

If a rule is broken (which the example of such an event has been requested) and the moderator feels they need to close the thread, I challenge them to simply close the thread.  An opinion on the matter in mid sentence of closing it is a cowardly action.

In a real forum such as Microsoft MSDN site, moderators don't given opinions because it is a conflict of interest.

Re: Opinions Close Threads

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Opinions Close Threads

jackal
i too used to really enjoy coming to this site on a daily basis, reading the main page and forum.  now it has really become a turn off.  in the past the threads discussed the drug war for the most part which is what i'm interested in reading.  but now it has become mostly personal attacks in the forum.

chivis used to be my favorite contributor but now i tend to agree that she has her own agenda on here and i have lost favor for her.  not to mention the fact that she told me that i had to change my user id from jackwad to something else because a handful of people emailed her directly and felt it was offensive.

at this point i'm not sure the forum can ever return to just discussing the drug war with people expressing their opinions about the drug war.  almost every thread these days turns to personal attacks.

Re: Opinions Close Threads

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Opinions Close Threads

Texpatnmx
I have been trying to catch up on reading  post since I got off work this morning. I didn't realize until I saw your comment that I too have slowed down on reading the forum because of all the bickering and cat fighting that goes on. I feel like each forum member should have the right to disagree with someone else and just because you disagree with someone why does it have to turn into personal attacks which is what happened with my comment on the original thread. Maybe I didn't word my opinion correctly and for that I apologize, but my one little comment became a HUGE HUGE ridiculous fight that became completely off topic.  I do agree however that once a thread becomes personal attacks and is no longer discussing the original topic it should be closed, if for no other reason than it means we are taking away from the real reason we all come here....to be informed of what is going on in the border regions of Mexico.

Re: Opinions Close Threads

Texpatnmx
Not to start an argument with you Chivo, but aren't you personally attacking Chivis now.  You have voiced your opinion numerous times and we each have heard it, but yet you keep reiterating the same thing.  Can't we stop the personal attacks and get back to the subject at hand.....the drug war?

Re: Opinions Close Threads

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Opinions Close Threads

jason5683
I don't think Chivo is attacking Chivis and he is only stating factual actions she has committed.  Her actions are ugly.  I started this thread to ask for some sort of an explanation on here odd behavior and an example of the rule breaking.

Does anyone have the power to inform a decision maker and inform them of the non rule breaking comments that this thread has expressed on the behavior of Chivis.  Fortune 500 companies want feed back to constantly make improvements.  If the collective few in charge of a nonprofit forum don't feel like feedback is important, than my time (and apparently others) can be spent in other ways.

Chivo can you inform the higher ups that a few of us do support your view and feel a change may improve the overall experience?

Thanks,
J.Love

On Jan 25, 2013, at 10:02 AM, "Texpatnmx [via Borderland Beat Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Not to start an argument with you Chivo, but aren't you personally attacking Chivis now.  You have voiced your opinion numerous times and we each have heard it, but yet you keep reiterating the same thing.  Can't we stop the personal attacks and get back to the subject at hand.....the drug war?

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Opinions-Close-Threads-tp4041100p4041151.html
To unsubscribe from Opinions Close Threads, click here.
NAML

Re: Opinions Close Threads

Texpatnmx
I am saying that the bickering, cat fighting and personal attacks are getting redundant. We are all here to discuss one main topic..... THE DRUG WAR and become more informed.  If the topic has veered off subject and is no longer effective then someone needs to be the grown up take up the reins as the moderator and close the thread....doesn't matter if that person is you, chivis or buggs.  I just know from my personal opinion that I an sick to death of hearing all the cat fighting.  I will stop reading a thread once it starts.  My first thought is oh no here we go again. if I feel this way I an sure others do also.  The sad part is since I no longer want to read the thread I may actually miss out on an important piece of information or an interesting link.

Re: Opinions Close Threads

jason5683
Banned User
I agree Tex, but have a problem with her posting her view, then immediately close it. Does it bother you Tex when someone who disagrees with you, participates in "personal" attacks, post there opposite view which includes personal attack and the closes the thread?

If a rule broke it, just close it.  Don't preach, just close it.  This is my problem.

On Jan 25, 2013, at 10:17 AM, "Texpatnmx [via Borderland Beat Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am saying that the bickering, cat fighting and personal attacks are getting redundant. We are all here to discuss one main topic..... THE DRUG WAR and become more informed.  If the topic has veered off subject and is no longer effective then someone needs to be the grown up take up the reins as the moderator and close the thread....doesn't matter if that person is you, chivis or buggs.  I just know from my personal opinion that I an sick to death of hearing all the cat fighting.  I will stop reading a thread once it starts.  My first thought is oh no here we go again. if I feel this way I an sure others do also.  The sad part is since I no longer want to read the thread I may actually miss out on an important piece of information or an interesting link.

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Opinions-Close-Threads-tp4041100p4041154.html
To unsubscribe from Opinions Close Threads, click here.
NAML

Re: Opinions Close Threads

Texpatnmx
Chivo, may I ask what makes you think I don't hold her accountable? I hold each person accountable for their own actions....including myself (such as when I apologized for not wording my thoughts correctly). I am just sick of all the bickering.  Myself and other readers want to go back to reading about the drug war. I agree with the others ...forum rules need to be posted.  Moderators need to moderate.  People need to be able to express their opinions. All of this needs to be done in a grown up fashion without the cat fights.

Re: Opinions Close Threads

Texpatnmx
I agree just close the thread.  Post a simple note that says something like "due to no longer being  relevant to the original subject this thread has been closed" and that be the end of it.
12