Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

We who use the internet everyday enjoy the benefits (and frustrations) of living in the "information age".   We don't give it a second thought that we can in less than an hour, maybe in minutes. research an issue that it would have taken us a week or maybe a month to research by going to the library.

With the advent of the home computer, and the mysterious development of the internet seemingly overnight (kind of like the "big bang" theory of the creation of the universe), we now live in a different world than we did even twenty years ago.  I do sometimes wonder who digitized all that information constituting the billions of pages we can access.

But in our condenscending and complacent views we sometimes forget or don't realize that everyone does not live in the same world we live in.

In a recent report by La Asociación Mexicana de Internet (The Mexican Internet Association - AMIPCI) it revealed that 51.2 million of the people in Mexico have access to the internet.  That is an increase of 13% over last year.  That is an encouraging number and maybe by next year the country's access to internet will reach 50%.

Carlos Ponce, AMIPCI president, said today that 'we are exposed to the network 5 hours and 36 minutes a day' and '5 out of 10 Internet users connect via mobile devices.' He noted that 8 out of 10 children use the Internet in Mexico.

But like many things in Mexico, statistics reflect the inequality in Mexico.  The states of Baja California Sur, Sonora, Nuevo León, Baja California, Quintana Roo, Colima, and the Federal District ,  recorded a higher rate, where four out of 10 households reported having Internet access.

In contrast, Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, Tlaxcala, Hidalgo and Michoacán reported two  of 10 households with access to this technology.

In a country where it is estimated that only 1k% read a newpaper daily, where 2 television networks virtually control nearly 100% of what is broadcast on TV (and it is debatable whether those networks are controlled by the govt. by advertising revenue, or whether they control the govt. through sweet-heart advertising for candidates), access to unbiased information is even more critical.

While the average Jose Garcia in Michoacan knows that the cartels are bad because they take a weekly "quota" of 80 pesos from his weekly salary of 600 pesos and because they murdered his father because he wouldn't pay the "quota" for the 4 cows he owned.

But he doesn't realize the enormity of the problem in his state because it is not reported on TV or radio.  He hears "chisme" (gossip) on the street about what public officials are corrupt and who is good.  But that news is kind of like the old game we used to play where 10 people would sit in a circle and one would whisper a phrase in the ear of the person next to him, and he would whisper to the person on the other side of him and so on until it got back the originator.  Most of the time, the phrase heard by the last person in the circle was no where near what the first person whispered.

While something similar sometimes happens on the internet, at least we can quickly research what each person said and arrive at the truth.

Access to the truth is crucial in places where the people are living in crisis such as Michoacan and other parts of Mexico.  Hopefull some NGO's or Bill Gates, or Michael Dell, or Carlos Slim will give some attention to the desperate need to increase  internet access to the areas that have such limited access such as Michoacan.

(Related issue - Suposedly the reforms contained in the Communication Reforms proposed by PRI are intended to provide more security for internet users, but many commentators believe that the reforms disquise an attempt by the federal govt. to limit what is allowed to posted on the net and compare it to China's censorship of the internet.)

Re: Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

635787at
Idk if u ever been to Mexico but ppl have always just gone to Internet cafes, having your own computer and internet is like a luxury , u think ppl will have computers when they starving?

Re: Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

@635787at.  yes I have been to Mexico.  In fact have lived here for almost 20 years.  And yes you are correct, owning a computer is a luxury in Mexico, but I promise you that none of my adult neighbors go to internet cafes and use the internet.

As the report noted, 50 % of the internet users access the net by mobile devices (cell phones), and every one has a cell phone - even the poor.  It's kind of like more families have a tv than have a refrigerator.  It is considered a necessity.

The report  also noted that 8 out of 10 children use the internet.  That is why I said "my adult neighbors" don't use internet cafes, but they their kids probably do.

Re: Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

WonderBread
I TOTALLY disagree!  My idiot family members like to talk shit via social media and they all have internet access to do so.  I'm surprised on how many actually know how to us a computer.

Re: Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

jajajaja

but southern mexico is different, much less cells etc.  but in the north, where we are, forget about it even those of the frontera paper houses have cells.  "cells" as in multiples in families.

But DD, adults do go to internet cafes for computer use.  why wouldn't they?  personal business and research etc.

Re: Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

deelucky1
I still use encyclopedias what's a computer? Computers are not a luxury in Mexico unless they want an apple
some people don't like the new technology in Mexico they don't want to even know anything about it more like old fashionistas

Re: Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

deelucky1
Wats up and Facebook are mexicos favorites

Re: Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

nacho

Re: Only 2 out of 10 households have Internet access in Michoacán

tuSancho
lots of chicas on Badoo.  and Metroflog.  whatsapp y facebuk