October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

Tacuache bodeguero
October was dyed red by becoming the most violent month in the last 20 years with the record figure of 2,371 homicides

In addition, the accumulated total so far this year already exceeds the total murders committed in 2016, reported the Executive Secretariat of the National Public Security System.

The SESNSP released a report indicating that, with the addition of the homicides from Oct, they added to the 20,787 in the whole country during this year.

With two months left to complete 2017, this number is already higher than the total number of homicides recorded in 2016 of 20,547, which makes this year the most violent since the inauguration of President Enrique Peña Nieto.

The October figure, the highest since 1997, asserts an increase of 27.4% in the number of homicides
compared to the same month of 2016 and 8.51% compared to last September.

The states in which more murders were committed were:
Baja California (207)
Guerrero (198)
Mexico state (189)
Veracruz (174)

As for kidnappings, 84 were recorded in October, adding up to 951 this year, and 479 extortions, which make a total of 4,797 (article doesn't specify what that total number represents).

The SESNSP also verified that there were 6,196 vehicle thefts with violence and 10,529 robberies of cars without violence.

https://www.eloccidental.com.mx/mexico/justicia/octubre-el-mes-mas-violento-en-20-anos-con-2371-homicidios

Re: October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

Chava
I'm thinking the figures are a *little* low for Guerrero

Re: October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

TJ alone had like 191 in October, it's hard to find the right words, without cliche, or repetition, to express what you feel about so much killing.

Re: October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

That just blows my socks off J the murder rate in TJ and that's only the bodies that have been found!Just for comparison Canada had 611 murders last year out of a country of 36 million people and TJ alone had double that in 1 city!What is TJ's population maybe a million and a half?Mexico is fast gaining a reputation of 1980's Columbia!I know you really have to go per capita like how many murders per 100,000.In the US what it's 6 or 7 per 100,000 and TJ what 100 murders per 100,000?That means 1% of the population gets whacked if I did my math right!Holy crap!Doesn't that make it 1 of the top cities in the world for murders?Would that top out Juarez when it was the top in the world a few years ago?

Re: October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

I would think TJ is probably 3 million, hard to do a real census when so many live in communities without addresses, phone numbers, tax records, etc etc.

Re: October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

Tully
Here's a useful link for the Mexican cities with the highest murder rates per 100,000 inhabitants.  The top 50.  By hovering over the graphs, you can see the month, the total number and the rate per 100,000.

They have, for example, 160 murders for Oct. for Tijuana, and a rate of 104 per 100,000.

160 X 12 = 1,920 (annual projected based on that month).  They use about 1,800,000 as population for Tijuana.

1,920 divided by 18 (units of 100,000 people)  = about 105.

https://elcri.men/es/municipios.html

Same thing for states, listing all states:

https://elcri.men/es/states.html

Re: October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

Chava
That chart even shows Guerrero at 227 for October. I would beg to differ with that figure as well, judging from my local newspaper every day!

Re: October deadliest month in 20 yrs with 2,371 homicides

Thanks Tully those charts are really interesting all at a glance by state or city.It sure looks like Baja Sur is almost off the charts( 191.8 per 100,000 if I'm reading that right).Those graphs are pretty cool as they also besides murder also have extortions, vehicle robberies with and without violence and secuestros. Is secuestros kidnappings?Baja Sur looks like has more murders than vehicle robberies.That's a twist!In 3 years Baja Sur has gone from 1 of the lowest murder rates in Mexico to 1 of the highest but under municipalities check out Guadalupe Y  Calvo,Chi. at over 600/100,000!That appears to be the highest 1.There sure is a wealth of info for all those states and cities and you can see where the trends are going, in most cases UP!Unfortunate!