Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

UNEASY RIDER

My Nicaragua Motorcycle Diary: Racing Through a Revolution

The author discovered that ‘those people’ he had been warned about when he left home were decent, brave, and ready to lay down their lives to build a better future.

Joe TustinJoe Tustin

06.18.18 5:19 AM ET

 Joe Tustin, 29, quit his job as a software sales executive in the Denver area last October and set out to travel the world. After months in Nepal and Southeast Asia, he left Colorado again in May on a rebuilt motorcycle, hoping to make it to Patagonia by Christmas. Over the last few days he has been traveling through Central America, skirting an erupting volcano in Guatemala, then driving through El Salvador and Honduras, hoping he could race through Nicaragua, where a national uprising against the dictatorship of Daniel Ortega has been met with ferocious violence. To date, some 200 people have been killed and well over 1,000 injured. Many of the roads are blocked, and a national strike has shut the country down. But very little news about the situation has appeared in the U.S. press. And Tustin really had no idea what he was getting into as he crossed from Honduras early last Friday morning. Afterward, he found the detailed article about Nicaragua published last week by The Daily Beast and sent us his first-hand account of what he saw there.

— Christopher Dickey, World News Editor

 The Nicaraguan border was a ghost town.  I was the only person there, local or tourist. The final inspector was a nice older guy and after checking my VIN on the paperwork I asked if he wanted to sign the tank.  He was happy to and with a smile on his face I asked him for route suggestions.

 Now I don’t know if he had any more information than anyone else but he suggested I dramatically change my route around the capital — Managua.  It was an easy modification and decided to follow his instructions. At 7:00 a.m. I was across the border and I rode as fast as possible in an attempt to make up time preemptively for what might be ahead.  There was no one on the roads at all. I was the only one and almost positive the only tourist in transit. It was smooth sailing on the paved road of the CA-1. But then I started to feel something. Something was coming and something was off.

 Knowing that Estelí was the first major city I would encounter I expected to see something.  It was early morning but not that early and no shops were open. I only saw a few handfuls of farmers tending their horses and people sitting on the side of the road slack jawed at my presence.

 Then I started to see busses full of people going the opposite direction toward Honduras.  Eventually reaching hundreds of people seemingly in the middle of nowhere standing around boarding other busses.  Fathers holding luggage, mothers holding babies and the hands of their little ones, all with worried looks on their faces.  They were getting out of Dodge and I was heading right into it.

 Besides that congregation of people I saw no one until I reached the limits of Estelí.  The first gas station I saw was taped off, out of gas. Trucks with their hoods up lined the road around it useless without gas.

 Pedestrians flooded the roads walking like the apocalypse to somewhere ahead of me.  Carrying empty bags and bottles seeking supplies on the other side of the roadblock. Pedicabs out in full force full of families and goods going in both directions.  The stores looked empty and people standing around helpless.

 The next gas station with a line so long it blocked the road.  Maneuvering around the cars and motorbikes in line I was thankful I had my ten gallons.  Motorbikes leaving the station with passengers holding windshield washer fluid bottles full of gas.

 Trucks turned off and at a standstill lined the right lane which stretched for three to four kilometers. Every so often a truck would be turned to block both lanes of traffic and I would need to maneuver around using the dirt paths normally reserved for pedestrian traffic.

 Everyone was on edge and I quickly realized there was no blending in, my presence was alien.  Truckers strung hammocks under their trailers sleeping, drivers used makeshift stoves to cook, and vendors sold water and what little food they had.  A new system of commerce was necessary and emerged.

 There was something ahead but I still couldn’t see what.

 By this time I am the only vehicle among a mob of pedestrians.  Slowly making our way to the first roadblock.

 Without warning the line of trucks stopped and opened into an empty space, on the other side a four-foot wall erected out of road pavers.  But first was a barbed wire laid across the road and at neck level across the dirt path to the right — a barbed wire necktie.

 Stopping at the barbed wire I catch the attention of a man on a bike facing the other direction.  Motioning — which way? Answering by shrugging his shoulders and turning away. I had caught the attention of everyone in the area, what would this gringo do next?

 In the middle of the road was a small pile of dirt thrown over a strand of barbed wire. Hoping it was high enough to avoid puncturing my tires I threaded over it. The roadway had been blackened in places by burning tires, and fragments of debris littered the 200 feet to the stone wall.

 I see only one way around, to the right.  Standing guard is a masked man holding a homemade mortar cannon.  It looked like a caulk gun but for a very different application.

 I can see a fuse poking out of the end and smell sulfur.  Lighters seem to be rare and everyone is using matches. As I approach he quickly wags his finger.  Immediately I stop, park my bike and dismount. Once the ignition is turned off, BANG!. One of these makeshift mortars explodes behind me and I quickly turn around in a panic.  Thinking in my head : BE COOL DO NOT FREAK OUT.

 Waiting for a few minutes felt like an eternity.  With each explosion the accompanying shockwave stronger in my chest and the distance sounding and feeling closer.  The guard is fixated on the horizon, something is happening and it’s getting closer. After searching the backpacks of pedestrians the masked guard turns his attention to me.

 “Pistola? Bomba?”

 Throwing my hands in the air and shaking my head.  He starts feeling my bags. “Que es?”

 Trying to remember any of the Spanish I learned and answer the best I could I said I had camping equipment in the green bag, clothes in the black bag, and tools in the locked metal boxes.  He then turns his attention to my tank bag and demands I open it, exposing money, my camera, documents, and other valuables. He feels the items, puts them back and then waves me through.

 After another 200 to 300 feet of scarred pavement lies another stone blockade.  A dirt path to the right is my only way around. As I get closer I hear yelling from my left.  I couldn’t see it but a barbed wire necktie waited for me, blocking my path. Quickly a protester runs over, lifting the wire and letting me pass.

 The other side of the road lay the same scenario.  Tractor trailers immobile lining the left hand side of the road and others blocking traffic in both directions.  Locals on motorbikes wave to tell me to follow them to paths around the trucks.

 Remnants of burned tires with their steel braiding like giant slinkys are littered on the road and surrounding paths.

 Small cars being used as taxis run passengers and goods as far down the road as possible in succession are the only vehicles moving other than motorbikes.  The cars are limited by their distance and as soon as they stop people are waiting for a ride in the opposite direction.

 Shortly after the line of tractor trailers another blockade across a bridge.  This time not even the locals are getting through. A protester standing guard waves me to the front.

 “That these kids, young people, and citizens in general are willing to give their lives for a cause bigger than themselves is something I have never experienced, but now was witnessing first hand.”

 I say, “Yo voy Costa Rica, no mas Nicaragua.”

 He tells his friend to remove the steel beam and allow me to pass.  I am now the only vehicle moving through, including locals on bikes.  Five hundred feet later stands the bridge and everyone is surprised at my presence.

 They aren’t letting anyone through in either direction and I draw the attention of protesters and bystanders alike.  I am asked where I am going and where I am from.

 "Voy a Costa Rica” and “Soy de Americano” will be my primary phrases used from this point on.

 The guard who I spoke with yells to his friend to let me through and after some heated discussion he removes the stones and allows me to pass.

 With adrenaline pumping I lay on the throttle and get out of there.  After an hour of the fastest I have ever ridden, exhausted, I take refuge under a bus stop overhang and am overcome by emotion.  This was the most terrified I have ever been, on the verge of tears contemplating what lay ahead, filled with anger and outrage that no one in the world gives a flying fuck about these people and their struggle.  Ashamed albeit thankful that my life has been so easy. That these kids, young people, and citizens in general are willing to give their lives for a cause bigger than themselves is something I have never experienced, but now was witnessing first hand.

 I have seen a lot of poverty along my travels around the world but I have never seen poor people or anyone for that matter willing to give their lives and everything they have for the chance at a better life.  It was devastating. Heartbreaking.

 My phone had service and I texted my family telling them I loved them and was terrified.  It was too late to turn back and I felt as if I was literally running for my life.

 At each roadblock the feeling of something bad was looming.  You could read it on everyone’s faces and in their manner. They knew their time to fight was coming but no one knew when.  Every outsider is a potential spy gathering information for the turbas, military, police, or government.  You could taste the paranoia.

 At my moment of total desperation there at the bus shelter something beyond comprehension happened.  A butterfly landed on my leg to keep me company. In Nepal a butterfly landed on my bag and a woman who had no prior knowledge of my past commented its meaning.  She told me it was a good omen. It meant that someone who had passed was with me and thinking of me. I knew that butterfly on my leg at that bus stop in the Nicaraguan countryside was my dad looking after me and keeping me safe.  I could feel it.

 With newfound strength I mounted my bike and chose the new proposed route, entering the areas surrounding Managua, knowing it would be the most dangerous and difficult part of the journey.

 In the countryside there was a stark contrast to the cities.  There were no roadblocks, seemingly no unrest, life seemed to go on as normal.  Farmers herding their cattle, children in uniform going to school, shops empty but operating.  It was two different sides of the same coin. In the countryside I was able to keep up my speed because there were very few cars on the road in either direction.

 As I reached Tipitapa I could tell something was looming ahead.  The air was too clean as if there hadn’t been a car which passed in days.  The road was littered with white markings from the “mortars” exploding. Dodging remnants of burned tires, I could see something happened here.  Then I saw the pedestrians whose numbers grew exponentially until I reached the center of town.

 All the shops the lined the street had their steel shutters lowered.  Eventually I reached what looked like the entire population of the town congregated in one spot, feverishly gathering their families and leaving the area by any and every means of transportation possible.  Cars zig zagging around each other and pedicabs picking up passengers. Everyone yelling and honking their horns going in the opposite direction.

 After that, silence.  No civilians left, only protesters seemingly gearing up for what could be coming at any moment.  First a chopped-down tree, then a line of boulders with ashes of a fire, between each barrier the road covered in broken glass.  More lines of boulders and bags of sand creating the barrier lines. Each thoroughfare with the same type of barrier, leading to a turned over and burned bus flanked by a four foot wall of pavers.

 I make my way around the barrier on a pedestrian walkway littered with parts of the bus.  Once around I caught the attention of a group of protesters. They were masked and held homemade guns and mortar launchers, and they were running toward me.

 Immediately I stop my bike, flip up my visor and put my hands up.  Again reciting my motto of where I’m going and where I’m from. They quickly wave me through and instruct me to take the road over the dirt path.

 Again, I am the only one on a vehicle getting through.  More burn marks on the road and five hundred feet separate me from another series of road blocks.  The only way around is by driving off a short loading bay. The road on the other side has been removed to make the barrier.  The only way to the other side of the next is to ride over and off the high sidewalk.

 Followed by another series of blockades using the resources available. Boulders, cut down trees, road pavers, and roadside billboards spray painted with messages of revolution.

 Tipitapa was the last large town until Masaya.  The smaller towns felt much more on edge than the cities.  And the situation felt increasingly desperate, because supplies are unable to get through the blocks from the larger cities.

 “I want to state on the record that overall the protesters were cool with me.  I was a sitting duck in as close to a war zone as I could imagine and they never took advantage of me.”

 Guards with the same homemade firearms and plastic bottles asked or demanded payment in order to pass.  Every single blockade was manned by several protesters, sometimes dozens of them. I was not prepared for so many in such quick succession.

 To pay my way through, I used packs of cigarettes at heavily manned blocks and single dollar bills at smaller ones.  I attracted attention with the large cache of gasoline between my legs and GoPro stuck to my helmet. Understandably forced to point it down and checked to ensure it wasn’t recording.  The routine became automatic; bike in neutral, visor up, hands up and say my speech. I was just passing through. But while I was starting to feel a bit comfortable, the people I encountered became more aggressive, desperate, and paranoid. And that escalated the closer I traveled to Managua.

   Emotions were running high for everyone. Some situations escalated quicker than others but like guardian angels complete strangers appeared to serve as my advocates.  I was not the enemy, just very very out of place and far from home. And “those people” that I had been warned about when leaving home — those people were not my enemies either. The were helping me.

 Blockades became more elaborate in the smaller towns and more defenses were used.  Spike strips, long spiked boards, smaller chunks of wood with nails were littered along with glass between barriers.

 Entire towns were barricaded with stone road blocks, burned cars, burned tractor trailers, and more barbed wire neckties.  Many of these towns had barriers built with the intention of being impassable. Only locals knew the way around and were not eager to help an outsider.

 At one such blockade a man on a dirt bike, one of “those people” appeared out of nowhere and while I was stopped whistled at me and motioned to follow him.  He led me through the town of torched cars, burned buildings, and streets littered with the aftermath of a battle. At every turn he was checking to make sure I was following him.  As soon as I was around, poof he was gone just as quickly as he appeared.

 While stopped at another impassable blockade another man — again, one of “those people” — came to my rescue providing directions and advising which streets weren’t barricaded.  He told me I was smart for carrying so much gas as there is none in that part of the country. But countered that he also wouldn’t be surprised if I was killed for it because the situation was so dire.  He wished me well, and held my shoulder as I thanked him for his compassion.

 The area around Masaya was the worst. There are many intersecting roads.  It was very well manned and they could hear me coming. I could see and smell the smoke of their fires looming in the distance.

 My goal was to leave every situation as quickly as possible and not allow a crowd to form.  I would attempt to identify the eldest or the one in charge and speak with him. As soon as I had his approval and nod I would drive off and avoid any additional dialogue.

 One of the last roadblocks I encountered and the closest to Managua was by far the worst.  The situation escalated so quickly it will stay with me for life.

 It was a very heavily manned blockade along a remote part of a road with only one way around.  They saw me coming and I quickly had everyone’s attention. The gas was sloshing inside my tank and the GoPro pointed down.  There had not been a safe place to stop and remove it from the point it was first identified and started to cause a problem.

 Surrounded by a group of protesters and with no way to exit I went through my routine.  They were seemingly jolly and smiling at me. Laughing and pointing at me. I couldn’t understand what they were saying but laughed with them in an attempt to keep the mood light. But  they didn’t move and said I couldn’t pass. Then the questions and comments about the tank came. How many gallons? We need gas for our cause and bikes. I pleaded that I needed it to make it to Costa Rica.  I mean no harm and apologizing for trespassing. I am just trying to make it through.

 In the passing moments a man whose face and tattoos I will never forget saw the signature of the police from Guatemala I met from a few days earlier at the volcano.  It was signed National Police - San Juan. I realized there must be a San Juan, Nicaragua.

 All hell broke loose as they started to yell that I was a spy from the police and to be dealt with.  I pleaded “NO POLICIA” over and over again as they grabbed at my pockets as I held up my hands. They were searching for a pistol and weapons.  There was no bribing my way out and they were done listening.

 Again a man, one of “those people,” came to my rescue. He spoke English, interrogating me, checking my papers and ID while the others pointed their machetes and homemade firearms at me.  I begged for my life as he mellowed the crowd. I waited for what felt like an eternity during his pregnant pause and then he agreed I was not police nor meant them harm — this to the dismay of his fellow protesters.

 We spoke for a minute about the ride and if I was aware of the situation in Nicaragua.  I told him the international news isn’t telling their story or about the situation. He wasn’t surprised and I departed with him joking, “Well, you got an adventure out of it.”

 Shortly after I was able to rejoin the CA-1 with no issues until Rivas.  After the 20-25 blockades I encountered, Rivas was no problem and my final barrier to Costa Rica.  With little convincing I was able to pass and a young protester lifted yet another barbed wire necktie which would be my last.

 The only police I saw were on that final stretch to Costa Rica.  The country is completely lawless and even so I was treated fairly and ferried to safety by “those people”.

 From the Honduras border to the Costa Rica border it took me 5:43 minutes.  Faster than the time google maps predicts which doesn’t account for the blockades.  I spent the cigarettes and ~$25 in total in bribes. I wasn’t robbed and left with everything I intended on keeping.

 Once at the border my tire popped and couldn’t help but laugh.  A piece of steel braiding from a burned tire punctured my rear tire.  I am not sure how it is possible, but it held air and got me out of the country and only flattened once I was safe.

 A group of truckers heading into Nicaragua helped me fix the flat and stood guard as everything I owned was scattered along the road.  Citing the golden rule of “Today you, tomorrow me.”

 I am so sad for the people of Nicaragua. I don’t claim to be an expert in the situation, but I can testify to their decency and their bravery. Whatever their reasons for revolting against their government I believe must be warranted. “Those people” really saved my ass during that journey and I will spend a lifetime trying to pay it forward. It was a day that I will never forget and hope to not live again.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/my-nicaragua-motorcycle-diary-racing-through-a-revolution?ref=home

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Chimera
Wow, very powerful. And he's right, nobody here (in the US) is really paying any attention to this. So sad for the "common people" of Nicaragua, who are the ones who are suffering so much.

Thank you so much, canadiana, for posting this story.

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

I'm glad you appreciate the story Chimera.This guy's story was a definite boots on the ground story travelling from the north to south end of the country in 1 day which would pick up the 'vibes' of the country.I will bet the cocaine smugglers are making their adjustments as this affects their business.Also I will bet the Mexican Government is paying attention to this and what happens in the end game (in case Mexican citizens decide to do this) and also the Mexican southern borders could get flooded with Nicaraguans.I also bet Dr. Mireles might be watching this.I saw something on this on the TV news 2 weeks ago but nothing since.The news made it look like simple protests but this 1 looks like the whole country is escalating and ramping up and all the public servants are on strike according to this guy.

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Very powerful story indeed. Good find, and new to me, which means it has not gotten the attention it needs. I guess everyone are preoccupied with the World Cup Soccer Championship.

I remember driving through Nicaragua myself plenty of years ago and feeling a looming atmosphere. I can't really tell what it was, but there was a scent of revolution in the air, although that is not something I am familiar with. Suddenly there were truckloads of people driving around waiving red flags, and I was sure I got caught in the middle of it, and just wanting to get down to Costa Rica asap. I found out later it was election day, and those people waiving flags were Sandanistas, which are the guys in power right now.

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

EmuskOner
Wow.  Thanks Canadiana, that was definitely a great story to read.  I had no idea Nicaragua was in so much chaos..

I am curious, has the country ever fully recovered from the CIA backed civil war that happened decades ago?

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

RGV AG
Lived there 9 out of the last 12 years.  Just moved back to the states 11 months.  Things are really, really bad.  Ortega has armed gangs of young thugs to enforce his will and break up the protests.  Many cops have quit and the only way the populace can be put down is by outright terror.   The paramilitaries tried to storm a house, it was 3 stories, in order to have a high vantage point to shoot from.   The occupants would not let them in, so they fired the house and killed 6 occupants, including two toddlers.

The local FD wouldn't respond due to being warned off and when the volunteer group tried to get there, they were held back at gun point.  Eventually a crowd was large enough to get there, but it was too late.  They were able to assault/maul 3 of the paramilitary group, and burned one up alive in the middle of the street.  This Saturday a 15mo old baby was shot and killed as well.  The hard core leftists never want to leave power and tonight Ortega said he was not going to either.

Ortega and the gang are ordering, or should I say condoning, property invasions and thus there is outright theft now going on.  Basically he is going to show any opposition and the small middle class that is opposed to him the wrath of not controlling the downtrodden masses.

This situation is not going to end well at all.

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

RGV AG thanks for sharing that.Does anyone know how long Daniel Ortega has been in power?If I recall correctly he was in power a long time ago and came back and seems he's been in power close to a decade,no?And is he from that 80's era when the civil war was going on and CIA was shipping dope to L.A. to fund weapons down there?

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

RGV AG
Canadiana:
DOS has been in power the second time since 2006.  He changed the constitution to make re-election legal.  He has demolished any true opposition party via outright destruction, murder, co-opting, or dubious frame ups.  Many of the former opposition were allowed to continue on business as usual and were supported allowing the country to have continued improvement over the last 10 or so years.  But, the previous came with the caveat of staying out of politics, and the influential did.

Many of the social programs and overall malfeasance activities were funded by Venezuela and that money was used to garner support from the poor.  The size of government employees tripled in 11 years and DOS maintained cordial and cooperative relations with the US.  But as with most socialist systems the activities were unsustainable and when they ran out of Venezuelas money they plundered the Nicaraguan social security and in order to pay for that they proposed raising payroll taxes 3% on employers, 1% on employees and cutting retirement benefits 5%.  Problem with this is that only about 29% of the Nicaraguan populace is inscribed in the Social Security and the burden would have been very hard hitting.

Thus they resorted to quelling protests by violence and terror and things are where they are.  This deal is going to set Nicaragua back 20 years at least and secure its position as the second most impoverished nation in the Hemisphere.

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Bit of an update.doesn't look like much has changed except more dead.

.

http://mwcnews.net/news/americas/72921-ortega-rules-out-elections.html

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Cuidado
My neighbor is going down there for a surf trip. Im like not the best time for that but he seems to think its perfectly safe..

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Yeah I wanted to do a motorbike trip down there as there is a place to rent bikes but no go,not yet anyway.Got a feeling it will be Cuba instead although I heard the food sucks compared to Mexico.Probably can't even get gas like the 1st article says.Have him report back to you on how it was and give us the scoop.

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Cuidado
Absolutely, he was supposed to go Wed and I heard him starting his truck this morning so I think he chickened out haha.  I will talk to him and get back to you.

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Pretty bad pictures coming out of Nicaragua, which I am posting to wake people up. People in the US Government is catching on, which is somewhat good, but more likely because they would like to avoid Russian interference, which is absolutely a real worry.

A couple of handles:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/SOSNicaragua
https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nicaragua

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

RGV AG
canadiana wrote
Yeah I wanted to do a motorbike trip down there as there is a place to rent bikes but no go,not yet anyway.Got a feeling it will be Cuba instead although I heard the food sucks compared to Mexico.Probably can't even get gas like the 1st article says.
Actually Nicaragua has the best food in true Central America, Guatemala has lots of shared Mexican influences so for foods sake I really don't count them as purely CentAm.   There are several really good traditional dishes, but just not as much variety as Mexico.  But they have a few prize winners.

Things in Nicaragua are fairly bad.   The interview Ortega did last night on Fox was probably 2 or 3 times more farcical than OJ announcing the search for the real killers.  It was terrible.  Yesterday about 750 people, mainly kids, were abducted, disappeared, arrested, grabbed, and in some cases killed.  No shit.

The economy is headed to tatters and overall Nica's are leaving faster than a cheetah with hotfoot.  It is amazing that what is going on there is not getting more coverage.   Today a 14 year old boy was killed and a Brazilian Medical Intern was gunned down in her car by body guards of one of the FSLN directors that had the Magnumwhykey act applied to him a couple of weeks ago.  Happened right by the American school and our old house.

Nicaragua was a poor as church mouse, but by far it was the country that I was most at home in within LatAm, save for Mex where I grew up.  But it was a lot easier, and less corrupt, working there than in Mexico.  Really safe and low key for my time there.  The Venezuela-Bolivia-Cuba nexus is a poison pill for the Latin Americans, it is really tragic.

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

I guess Costa Rica,Honduras,Mexico and even US are getting surges in refugee status due to this predicament.This author explains some of the politics behind the Revolution.https://nationalpost.com/opinion/terry-glavin-nicaragua-is-imploding-but-ortegas-thuggery-shows-no-sign-of-abating

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Another update on Nicaragua although this is more in monetary and how its effected jobs,the economy and tourism.http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/months-of-deadly-unrest-devastate-nicaraguas-economy/ar-BBNcZNz?ocid=iehp

Re: Nicaragua in Revolution against their Government

Parro
I've never been a fan of Daniel Ortega, pedophile and supposed leader of it's the days, the Sandinistas.  He now joins Chavez, Maduro, Noriega, Castro, as bolivistas.  Based on a socialist agenda, they take power, rout the wealthy and then keep the money to theirselves.

A few years back, I decided to travel through Nicaragua.  Landing in Managua, I went to the beautiful city of Granada on the largest fresh water body of water in Central America.  The volcano in the center of the lake, Volcan Concepcion, is a sight to behold and there are great places to stay on the island.

Later I returned to Managua and while eating lunch, got my first view of those in charge.  Pompous, well dressed and downing the liquor at lunch.  So much for the Sandinistas.

I decided to traverse the country to find out about the culture and current issues.  I do not recommend the Sandinista Museum in Maltagalpa.  Too much cardboard and penciled descriptions, but worth a view of Carlos Fonseca who was the philosopher behind the movement.

Staying in the highlands and coffee growing regions of Nicaragua was well worth it.  You get a view on how they grow coffee plants in the forests of the midlands.

Finally getting to Bluefields, narco-culture was on display.  The fast boats, many, had marijuana decals, and a lot of bling.  You know the Colombians were coming through here with their loads.  Taking a fast boat, I went to the Corn Islands.  No Nicaragua army, no police period.  Corn Islands were a main hopping off point of drug shipments from Colombia and other South America countries.  This is where I learned "white lobster" and how the locals remained vigilant for these overboard cargos that reached their shores, with no ownership.  It was lucrative.

Coming back to Managua, hitchhiking in the back of truck beds, or the rare car, I was impressed by their kindness and respect.  I never felt endangered.  It's a shame hearing what's going on their now.  Hopefully there will be a new government soon, that takes care of it's people.