News coverage of the Iguala 43

Rubbertoe
While the government mumbles, grumbles, whines and lies, the story continues to grow and expand with no coherent response. It's a wonderful thing to see. The Iguala 43 hopefully will go down in history with other great martyrs whose death brought about positive social change.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/protests-over-mexicos-inaction-43-missing-students-n242126

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

Rubbertoe

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

adam3

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

Bajadrone-2

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

BajaDrone wrote
Anybody think this will be forgotten just as quickly as the AD movement? I sure hope not but I get the feeling we are just one Miley Cyrus concert away from total amnesia.
The Mexican government is betting on it.

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

choco
If they continue to say nothing, it will go away.  To me, honestly, the greater travesty is the Fed gov takeover of Michoacan by EPN'S PERSONAL ENVOY CASTILLO.... and the arrest and imprisonment of Mireles on false charges AND the turnover of the state to different criminals/cartels who may be worse than the CTs.

Why is no one talking about that?   It is so fucking huge.  I know the same thing happened under Calderon, so I guess it's just a "yawn, so what else is new" reaction.

Some activists and journalists got publicity for the atrocities initially... but now .... crickets.   Poor Mexico... and even worse, poor indigenous and lower/middle income Mexicans... they are the ones who suffer so the PRI can continue to roll in the cash.

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

adam3

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

tuSancho
orale.  thank you choco for saying what you did, exactly the way you did.  i agree completely.  sinembargo, i hope the more moderate but socially inclined middle class who hopes to use the court for Dr Mireles, radicalize.  maybe this will be a Mexican spring.  there sure is a lot of use of the 'people's media', like borderland beat, twitter, youtube, and on.  the regionalism and bullshit propaganda no longer work.  the bottom layer is still bought off with despensas and tarjetas but the expanding educated and middle class, particularly the youth, are rebelling.  Half the population is under 25yo.  What are their opportunities?  One is to change the fucked up government and the PRI they rode in on.  Not that AMLO is any better, but what the PRI can't win, it buys; and what it can't buy, it steals.  What Mexico needs is what most Mexicans are familiar with.  If the outside of your tshirt is dirty, turn it inside out to the clean side.  The whole country  needs to be turned inside out.  IMHO.

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

Rubbertoe
IMHO everthing possible should be done by people like us to support and encourage the families of the Normalistas and others to not give up the fight but to avoid the violence. I hope they know how much people all over the world are concerned about them and willing to support efforts for change. That is really the best driving force for change and when it subsides the government will go back to old ways.

Is there anyone here who could set up some sort of internet program collecting support emails or  clicks that could somehow be sent so the families would know how much support there is. The key is to find a way that the families and people impacted by this horrible crap know that there are tens of thousands maybe millions of people who think of them and admire them for standing up for their children. And that this is also made public routinely so the Gob sees it.  I am confident that many of the families, the mothers, fathers, tios and tias  are not computer literate.  How can we reach them ?? How can we make it easy for people to communicate with them given the circumstances.

What about all the non-normalista bodies that have been uncovered? The were not Normalistas so forget about them completely ??

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

adam3

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

Rubbertoe
If I was internet literate I would do as I suggested. Set up properly it would garner maybe a million supports. In the world of social media I think garnering the support responses can be done. Getting that support to the people is difficult.

At the present I am a person sin goberino, but I am a person familiar with fomenting social change and carry the scars to prove it.

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

sadly, I agree with Baja.

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

Mexico-Watcher
This post was updated on .
Chivis, you sound tired (cansada) when you "sadly" agree with Bajadrone's "Miley Cyrus" comment above.

IMHO, I think he was being cynical which to me implies he was actually hopeful that revolutionary things will happen in Mexico because of the Iguala Normalista students' massacre.

 I also am convinced that "you" are being cynical in the same vein as he.  I might add that you both have been observing and fighting the disgusting and horrific situations in Mexico for a long time and that you have maintained hope that the Mexican Pueblo would finally wake up and take dramatic actions across Mexico that would finally lead to to needed changes as suggested by many of our Borderland Beat posters and the many heroes who have lost loved ones and even their own lives in the fight for a "new" Mexico free of corruption and other poisons on the Mexican body politic.

 In writing this post, I am reminded of Tiajuano's "Rant" in the BB Main Board entitled " A stupid rant on how I lost faith in my country and its citizens... "  [http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2014/10/a-stupid-rant-on-how-i-lost-faith-in-my.html ] posting of a few days ago, in which he laid out some of his disturbing issues with Mexico.   Tiajuano's "rant" resonated well with me despite the fact that I live in the Southwest USA in a virtual heaven compared to violent and messed-up Mexico.  Tiajuano's,  list of frustrations elicited many interesting and useful comments from readers that refuted and put in perspective many of his "ranting" points ... thereby, having the effect (on me) of giving me encouragement and hope for Mejico.  I saved Tiajuano's  post with it's comments for my files.

A picture that alleviates my frustrations, cynicism and gives me hope.

I have been following the horrors in Mexico for a few years now.  I too tend to be cynical about Mexico, but I then take comfort in the many historical events in history where the "gente" finally reached the paradigm shift moment of "YA BASTA!!" and took indicated actions.

Of course, this moment actually scares me because things tend to spin way out of control and then lead to "unintended" consequences that may be truly horrific in nature and scope (e.g. French Revolution ).  But you can't make an omelette with out breaking eggs, Que, no?  (I foresee that Mexico may be headed toward extreme of violence and depravity that will rival what has already happened.  The USA will get involved ... hopefully on the side of right and justice.)

I may be all full of caca in what I just keyboarded, but the reason I had to react is because, I am "outwardly" a cynic who actually "hopes" and "prays" that I am wrong about Mexico and that one day there will be a universal uprising with a minimum of hassles and bloodshed for a "new" Mexico in an "ideal" sense.   In this, I take heart that all those living and dead heroes would not have sacrificed many things including loved ones and their own lives to inspire "action".  In this vein, the Normalista students did not die in vein and must be considered true heroes of Mejico.  Their deaths have certainly shaken the world this time (even MSNBC covered the story in  some detail tonight 11-10-14)

Periodically, I often look at this picture to relight my hope and cure my natural cynicism.  To me the picture is a metaphor for Mexico.  The picture is posted below in my next post; please refer to it.

A pobre madre con su hijo doing a civic duty.
The mom cleaning the blood from a Tiajuana homicide represent "El Pueblo de Mejico" as a true and courageous citizen and role model. Is it possible that she is putting herself in danger by her actions?  Some  "halcon" may be watching her and consider her a threat?

 To me, her watching son represent Mejico's youth and hope.  Will this son remember this day as a  tranformative event in his life?  Will he be made stronger witnessing his mom's civic concerns and actions?  I would like to think that the boy will become a true asset for Mejico....maybe a leader of some good sort.

This woman is a hero in my mind, else, I would not be drawn to the picture when I feel pessimistic about Mejico's future.  I wish I could find out who this mom and son are so that I could interview them. I think, she could teach us some things we need to know in order to solve some of the problems Mexico is afflicted with. This poor mom is actually "seeing" what can be done with her meager resources to "cleanup" Mejico's violent and blood mess.  The mom is a very courageous being, a much needed "metiche" who sees what needs to be done to get a better Mejico. Chivis, can you relate to what I think about esta buen madre?

The Wall:
The high graffiti spoiled wall with concertina wire represent Mexico's extreme class divisions and racism and also the  aversion to the common poor.  The buildings on the other side of the wall represent where the powerful people live, be they corrupt politicians, powerful business people, or obscenely rich criminals reside.

The two senoras awaiting the coming bus
The two ladies (one holding a child) represent Mexico's paralyzing fear and seeming apathy of NOT seeing what is painful to see, perhaps because "If I see the evil might visit me?"   The millions of Mejicanos who studiously fear getting on the bus to a better Mejico just stand there.  Perhaps the coming bus (representing government) will never come to take them to a better place?  Perhaps the bus just be driven by the same old same old kinds of drivers (politicians) and travel it's appointed and corrupted rout and not deviate from it on pain of death from the evil power sources who own the bus line.

La calle
The trash strewn street's foreground represents where Mejico is now in time; and looking down into the distance one sees Mejico's future.  Will it be hopeful and bright?  I hope so.

Well there is my dos centavos.

If you see things different in  the picture, please feel free to add or comment.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

Mexico-Watcher
The metaphor picture of "Mejico" as described above by Mexico-Watcher

Re: News coverage of the Iguala 43

Rubbertoe