New book on El Chapo out Oct.17 and movie to follow

New book on El Chapo out Oct.17 and movie to follow

 El Chapo movie in the works at  Sony
The Hollywood Reporter
Borys Kit

2 hrs. ago

Hollywood Reporter
As he was in real life, Mexican drug lord El Chapo is proving to be a wanted man.

Sony is picking up the rights to 'Hunting El Chapo: The Thrilling Inside Story of The American Lawman Who Captures The World's Most-Wanted Drug Lord', an upcoming book by Cole Merrell and Douglas Century.

3 Arts Entertainment will produce the adaptation.

Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán is the Sinoloa drug cartel boss who, on top of being one of the most powerful crime lords of all time, had a knack for escaping his prisons. Three times he made headlines with his escapes, prompting massive manhunts. He was last recaptured in 2016 and extradited to America this January.

The project will compete with Fox's thriller, The Cartel, which adapted Don Winslow's novel that was a fictional take on El Chapo with Ridley Scott attached to direct

Sony is hoping to bag a similarly big name director, with Michael Bay at the top of the studio's list of most wanted.

'Hunting El Chapo' is due to hit shelves October 17.

3 Arts was involved in the producing of Bay's Benghazi movie '13 Hours' as well as the Angelina Jolie-directed drama 'Unbroken'

Re: New book on El Chapo out Oct.17 and movie to follow

Tully
This post was updated on .
The book is due out in October of 2017.  We'll see:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/hollywood-hunting-el-chapo-sony-pictures-the-cartel-michael-bay-1202039762/

We've been down this road before with Big Hollywood talking about movie projects about narcos.

It was interesting a couple years ago when Hollywood seemed interested in completing a few big budget films in this genre.

As far as I can tell, the only one moving forward is Ridley Scott's adaptation of Don Winslow's "The Cartel."

http://www.konbini.com/ng/entertainment/ridley-scotts-next-film-will-based-chapo-guzmans-infamous-prison-break/

Ridley Scott is currently in southern Spain filming scenes for the movie.

Remember Charlie Hunnam playing "La Barbie"?  I can't find any info showing that's going forward.

Likewise the Peter Berg film version of the New Yorker article "The Hunt for El Chapo."  I suspect this project was killed after the "escape" in the summer of 2015.