New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

News
Ayotzinapa arrests are imminent: prosecutor
New evidence will lead to arrest of 30 suspects and information regarding motive
Mexico News Daily | Saturday, March 3, 2018
Federal authorities are preparing to make arrests in connection with the disappearance and presumed murder of 43 teaching students in Guerrero in 2014, the prosecutor in charge of the case said yesterday.

      Alfredo Higuera Bernal told a hearing of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) in Bogotá, Colombia, that the federal Attorney General’s office (PGR) had obtained new information “in recent weeks” enabling it to file charges against 30 people, including municipal police officers.

      Higuera explained that the information included evidence about the motive for the disappearance of the students in the city of Iguala on September 26, 2014 but said that the information would not be made public at this stage.

      However, a joint statement from the PGR and two federal secretariats said that the investigations would conclude this year.

      The students’ disappearance triggered mass nationwide protests and an international outcry. It also damaged the reputation and popularity of President Enrique Peña Nieto more than any other single event.

      The federal government has been heavily criticized for its handling of the case.

      On the day of their disappearance, the 43 young men were among more than 100 students from the Ayotzinapa Rural Teachers’ College who commandeered buses in Iguala to travel to Mexico City to attend a protest march.

      However, the students were intercepted by municipal police, leading to a confrontation that killed six people, injured 25 and left several vehicles destroyed.

      According to the government’s official version of events, or “historical truth,” corrupt police subsequently handed over the 43 students to a local criminal gang which subsequently killed them before burning their bodies in a municipal dump and disposing of the ashes in a nearby river.

      However, the official investigation was widely disputed and an international team backed by the IACHR uncovered several irregularities in the case.

      Many people suspect that the Mexican military played a role in the students’ disappearance.

      Higuera initiated a new probe in 2016 and said yesterday that it examined new lines of investigation.

      In a radio interview following yesterday’s appearance before the IACHR, the prosecutor said that he had ruled out a theory suggesting that the students had taken control of a bus that contained a hidden heroin shipment.

      The parents and other family members of the victims have led the criticism of the government’s investigation and continue to accuse authorities of evading their responsibility in relation to the case.

      A lawyer for the victims’ families said yesterday that the government was continuing to drag its feet in its investigations and last year failed to comply with its own scheduled investigation timetable.

      Guerrero, a large opium poppy producing state, is one of Mexico’s most violent.

      At least five more forced disappearances occurred in state capital Chilpancingo in the last week of 2017 and the state’s main tourism drawcard, Acapulco, has been described as “Mexico’s murder capital.”

Source: El Universal (sp), Reuters (en)

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/ayotzinapa-arrests-are-imminent-prosecutor/

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

El_Bujo
Impeccable timing!

Who wants to bet on a big fish being arrested in the next few months?

$$$  $$$

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

Mencho???

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

El_Bujo
@Canadiana

I would want to think so but.. they might be waiting until Nov/Dec for him (gift for the new administration)*

That or Mencho will be hit for the elections and Mayo gets his in Nov/Dec**

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

Chava
http://www.sinembargo.mx/12-04-2018/3406912

Here's a new spin

Operators of Guerreros Unidos from Chicago, United States, gave orders to disappear the 43 students of the Rural Normal School of Ayotzinapa "Raúl Isidro Burgos", and another 17, revealed telephone conversations to which Reforma had access.

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

Reform journalists better be careful lest they 'disappear'.So in other words 1 of those buses had drugs on them?Cant open the link but it's in Spanish anyway.

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

1966tinman
I am a dual American and Mexican citizen , having been born here in the U.S.  and living in Mexico off and on my whole life . The Normalista students got what they deserved for creating chaos like assaulting innocent citizens , hijacking buses , burning businesses  , and other activities . No one in Mexico , save for other radical groups and foreign agitators ,  care about their fate . The average Mexican citizen applauds the hard handed tactic against these criminal subversive elements who try to challenge the State .

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

Chimera
Listen to yourself!

1966tinman wrote
The Normalista students got what they deserved...
Everything you type after that is hyperbolic garbage. Nobody deserves to be "disappeared," in other words violently murdered with their body hidden or destroyed so it can never be found. No matter what they stand for, whether you agree with it or not, NOBODY deserves that.

SMH

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

Chava

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

me and el profe have worked on the reforma article and translated it.  I accessed the copy of the criminal complaint in chicago and will add

The GU leader in Chicago named "Silver" is now a PW and now is the time to find out what he knows.

this bullshit of arrests is all theater.

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

that is not what happened.  GU were told Los Rojos were on the buses.  GU was worried the confusion of the normalistas and soccer bus would cost them the business.

Your comment disgusts me.  EVERYONE CARES.  except elitists, government,  and criminals.

Shame on you!

 I thought the Tin man got his heart.  not in your case

Re: New arrests forthcoming in the disappearance of the 43 finally so close to an election?

Chava
Of course, it was all theater from the get go. Anyone who's lived in Mexico more than a day knows that with enough pressure, the gov. will go arrest some patsies, to try to appease the folks.