New Travel Warning

AllseeingI
Banned User
US just listed 5 new states for citizens to stay away from. Shit has been popping off in Tepic for some time. I wonder why they too so long?

Re: New Travel Warning

They did not take long, and I have reviewed the new travel warning and it is esstentially the same as September 2010.  However they define areas better in ther new warning. All the same states are there, but in addition to areas they add cities and what has occurred.

My big issue it the wardens memo warning realeased on April 7 the week of the Tamps discovery.  There were 2 one Ove posted that did not mention an american had been taken and the one I found on the website saying essentially the same but that amwericans had been taken.  The warning advised no bus travel, then 3 days later recinded the warning saying the info was not reliable.  I wrote a post on it here in forum.  This is after knowing scores of bodies had been found and likely off the buses, and that Americans at least 5 were missing from that city.  I just saw on the website the warnings are gone.

as for this new warning:  notably Acuña and Piedras are listed in Coahuila as not to go to, in addition to the La Luagana area (torreon area) Acuña has been quiet so I am not sure what that is about and friends in Piedras say the same even though reports of the burned homes was near Piedras about 30 mi away

here is the warning:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html

Re: New Travel Warning

curioso
Buela,

Piedras is pretty quiet right now. The new front page story about the properties of Cuellar actually happened a couple weeks ago. The apartment complex in the photos is very close to my house, about 1 1/2 miles from the border.

What scares me is the 6 degrees of separation. Someone does housekeeping here in PN or in Eagle Pass, and somehow, someone who was disappered is family or friends of the people you are working for.
It gets so that you don't even want to visit anyone. Word is that one of the young people that has not been heard found was just a visitor when things went down.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Re: New Travel Warning

AllseeingI
This is the firt time they have specifically named any place in Jalisco or Nayarit other than night travel to and from the Guadalajara airport at night. The put that out in February. Things have been steadily deteriorating along the Riviera region since August of last year. Tepic started popping off around December 2009. The action has been moving slowly southwest since this time. When Nacho was killed, it opened up the plaza in Guadalajara and Milenio leaders could not hold the plaza. Now the CNG has a small foothold but they are in a huge battle because Zeta's have been infiltrating the Riviera for more than two years. Nayarit and Jalisco now have daily shootings and narcobloques. Nacho always maintained control of Guadalajara and with his death, it has opened the door for Zeta's to move north from Acapulco and southwest from Zacatecas. This is a very important area for the Zeta's. Their increased activity in Guatemala has caused the central coastal areas to become more valuable. They have every intention of taking over this part of the country. They have a foothold in Zacatecas and this will allow another route to be used moving northeast from the central coast which is still relatively undeveloped. The central coast is about to light up bigtime.

Re: New Travel Warning

I noticed they were more specific about incidents happening.  They have issues warnings for years and we would laugh because they were in places that were pretty quiet, so people became complacent about the warnings.  Its a good idea to call ahead to the local US Consulates office to check on a certain area.  I stop driving the long roads between areas a year and half ago.  Twitter and social networks are good to check to get word from people on the ground.

Re: New Travel Warning

Wow, were you home when all that was happening?  They did that in Acuña also about a year ago.  2 businesses and 2 homes mostly from same family.  also right outside Saltillo.  I remember in Piedras months back a similar destruction of homes occurred.  Remember when they killed even the pets?

I agree with you about the family connection. and you are right it is hard to keep friendships and visit or even hang out.  A person close to me married someone in high position regionally in a cartel and no one including me wanted to go to her wedding or baby shower, as much as I love her no one knows when something will go down, being a visitor can be deadly.

I had predicted this year would be violent in Piedras and Acuña it just makes sense.  If you look at the cartel map of 2008-2009-2010 ad the changes you can see.  Sinaloa and Zs are so powerful and spreading.  Saltillo also.

Time will tell, we have been lucky in Coahuila so far, relatively so

Re: New Travel Warning

I meant to say Tepic was on the September warning and also june 2010

Re: New Travel Warning

I missed the warning of Rocky Point!  I saw Nogales which has been on the warning but not Rocky Point.  I had recently recommended it as an alternative to Bja for spring break.  I really question this warning people on the ground were stunned because it is so quiet.  here is an article

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/border/article_5d74d413-af6d-5d54-9293-eeed184ba5f4.html

Re: New Travel Warning

curioso
I am always either home or at work, either way not too far. You see plumes of smoke but you don't dare go see what's going on. Like in the US when something happens there is always a huge crowd gathered, kind of like it's a show or something. Here you just kind of ignore it, but the next time you are driving to work you see the burned out complex. Or you stop at Oxxo and look across the street and there is a mansion completely destroyed.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Re: New Travel Warning

drattler
Buela  Enjoy your comments. I have special interest in Acuna,travel thru it 1-2 times a month ranch property in Sierra del burros. I read BB almost every day have friends in Mexico,Del Rio Eagle Pass, and I am hoping for the day Mexico turns the corner and things start stabelizing. Your insight is appreciated.

Re: New Travel Warning

Deer hunter?  Isn't that a couple of hrs on the road to Sierra de Burros?  Have you ever had any issues?
Acuña from all I know is relatively safe.  There was rumors on twitter last week that there was shoot-outs last week, but I checked with 4 reliable in the know sources on the groung and they all said they have heard nothing.

Thank you for the kind comments

Re: New Travel Warning

drattler
Rancher ,I don't hunt,but the only issues I have had in many,many years is Mx customs and local police in Acuna,they will stop you with no excuse, I am usually pulling a trailer, How about a broken taillight. a Texas plate 2mos out of date. Luckily I can get to hwy 29 easy circling town to South but have been stopped twice in 1 mile,some cops have radios. This yr 2011 3 stops 3 bribes only good news less than 100.00 all together. I now drive a 94 Ford truck beat to hell 2 trips in no problem,no A/C either.We all wonder if Mexico will ever morph,mutate,be reborn. Several ranches in my area are owned by Mexican Americans who live in Texas, They refuse to cross the river,the deer/quail hunters are gone, my caretaker will not drive his truck to Acuna. I hope I live long enough to see Mexico prosper,well at least the fire missed me,rattler standing by.

Re: New Travel Warning

JaJa  I was going to ask what you were driving but I was afraid of the answer!  But I won't have to worry except of you dying from heat exhaustion, I can't imagine.  Most my tought guy friends on the border have  shrugged, off my gentle warnings in the past, are now ooking for a reliable-clunker afraid to drive around in their expensive trucks.  and I have friends that go into coahuila for hunting who are not going as often because of fears.

I have not been stop by police in any of the border towns or towns at all in Mexico, so perhaps ladies get a special treatment, but I have been stopped on highways twice to Mty, and I was not speeding my assistant got mouthy with the cop I wanted to pay him, but my assistant was arguing with him.  Finally I think he just was bored with us and told us to go "but I am calling ahead to my partner about your speeding" the other incident was an unauthorized blockade.  I just did what they said and after tearing through my car let us go.  we had nothing, we were not tourists, I had educational materials in the back thats all nothing they would want.  I always dress down, low profile, never wear jewels.

as for your last sentence, amen friend, from your lips to God's ears.