New Challenge for Ciudad Juarez Police- (just so you know)

New Challenge for Ciudad Juarez Police- (just so you know)

Havana

Juárez police put on diet due to weight concerns.

Cops and churros

About 1,850 police officers and another 450 people at the administrative level from the six police command districts in Juarez will be put on a diet and exercise regimen. (Photo by Jesus Alcazar / El Paso Times)

El Paso Times
01/17/2013 06:53:47 PM MST

According to the health office, eight of 10 police officers are overweight and four of 10 are obese.

Juárez police have been given another assignment besides patrolling the city -- to lose weight.

"The program is aimed to improve the physical and mental health of officers and all of the administrative personnel that work at the Juárez Police Department," the director of the Municipal Health Office, Ariel Díaz de León, said Monday during the announcement of the "Promote your Health" program.

Juárez police spokesman Adrián Sánchez said Thursday that the health office and the police medical department are selecting the first group of 40 to 50 officers to begin the first phase of the program.

The first phase will consist of blood tests to check the cholesterol and sugar levels of the police officers.

They also will have weight and body fat checks during the second phase.
The coordinator of the police medical department, Enrique Castro, said officers will also have stress checks during the third phase.

"We will review their mental health because they are more susceptible to suffer from stress and depression," he said.

said each phase will last about three weeks. Based on the results of the testing period, each officer will have a specific diet and exercise program to follow, he said.

"Our goal is to have a healthy, slim police officer that can do his or her duties better, like do a faster pursuit on foot or have more mobility during an emergency," Sánchez said.

He added that the program is in addition to the physical training that police officers do at the academy for two weeks at least once
a year.

Officials said they want to make the "Promote your Health" program permanent and develop it into monthly basketball and soccer games and cycling competitions.

Lorena Figueroa may be reached at lfigueroa@elpasotimes.com; 546-6129.

Re: New Challenge for Ciudad Juarez Police- (just so you know)

southtexas1

Re: New Challenge for Ciudad Juarez Police- (just so you know)

Baggy
would love to see that here. We don't have as BIG a problem as mx or the u.s, atleast not with the cops and D's ive ran into but it would be good if the cops didn't always have to rely on the chance that the runner might be a homie G wannabe with his pants already around his ankles before he does the bolt! bump

Re: New Challenge for Ciudad Juarez Police- (just so you know)

Texpatnmx
Having love in Texas all of my life and now living in Mexico I find that the Mexicans are actually thinner here than the Mexicans/latinos who love in the states