Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Ok...Lets talk about the elephant in the room.   Moreno had a violent criminal past that many say never concluded and that he, until the day of his death, was still involved with organized crime.  His crimes included drug trafficking heroin into Arizona.  I am not sure what the truth is, but it is fair to talk about it.  I have heard about his org crime links all the while he has been a great advocate of non violence, paz, and against crime.   In Mexico one never truly knows who the good guys are.   Paz, B

12.1.11 See Updated information at bottom

The prosecutors office said this:
The prosecutor's office in the northern border state of Sonora told reporters, however, that Moreno had a criminal past and it was that, not activism, which appeared to have led to his death.

HERMOSILLO, Sonora -- An activist who publicly accused police officers of kidnapping his teenage son was shot to death as he drove through his hometown in northern Mexico, a slaying that instantly fueled a bitter nationwide debate over crime and corruption.

Corrupt officials were being blamed Tuesday by citizen activists who worked with Nepomuceno Moreno in a national anti-crime movement that has been calling for an end to organized crime, police abuse and a military-led government assault on drug cartels.

The prosecutor's office in the border state of Sonora told reporters, however, that Moreno had a criminal past and it was that, not activism, which appeared to have led to his death. Officials said Moreno was shot at least five times when he stopped his van at an intersection Monday afternoon in Hermosillo, the capital city of Sonora, which borders Arizona.

The rival accounts echoed a wider national dispute.

Many Mexicans focus the blame for tens of thousands of crime-related deaths on the incompetence and corruption of federal, state and local authorities. President Felipe Calderon, in turn, has outraged crime victims and their families by saying that 90 percent of those slain in a 5-year-old government war on drug cartels were themselves involved in crime.

Moreno, a 56-year-old sidewalk seafood vendor, became one of the most visible faces of Mexico's anti-crime movement after his 18-year-old son Jorge Mario disappeared in July last year.

Saying masked police had snatched his son and two other young men, Moreno pleaded his case directly to Calderon last month in a meeting between the conservative leader and members of poet Javier Sicilia's Movement for Peace with Justice and Dignity.

Moreno also said he had been repeatedly threatened by the men who grabbed his son, whom he described as police working with organized crime.

Sicilia launched his movement after his son Juan Francisco was killed March 28 in the central city of Cuernavaca along with six other people in what officials called a case of mistaken identity by drug-cartel members warring with other criminals. The movement has organized a series of increasingly high-profile marches and protests throughout the country.

Since the meeting with Moreno and other victims' families, Calderon has altered some of his rhetoric about the drug war, saying that victims of violence should be the focus of national attention regardless of whether they had been involved in crime.

Sicilia said Tuesday that Moreno's relatives now feared for their lives, and he focused the blame for the killing on unidentified people in authority.

"The family is terrified," Sicilia told Milenio television. "This is collusion with crime. Otherwise it's not possible for a man to be killed like this. ... I don't know where the state ends and organized crime begins."

A spokesman for the Sonora state attorney general's office, Jose Larrinaga Talamantes, told reporters that the principal line of investigation in Moreno's death was drug trafficking, saying the victim had been involved with organized crime at least since his 1979 arrest in Arizona for heroin smuggling and possession.

In 1997, Moreno was jailed again on drug-related charges, Larrinaga said.

"There are various lines of investigation that remain open, but the principal one is his relationship with organized crime," Larrinaga said. Moreno's son's kidnapping was also being looked at, Larrinaga said.

Violence attributed to organized crime has killed more than 35,000 people between December 2006, when Calderon sent soldiers to his home state of Michoacan in western Mexico, and the end of 2010. Authorities have provided no figures for 2011, although some groups including Sicilia's say the death toll has now climbed above 40,000.

Charges are never filed in most of the deaths.
 ___

Castillo reported from Mexico City. Michael Weissenstein in Mexico City contributed to this report.

The prosecutor's office in the northern border state of Sonora told reporters, however, that Moreno had a criminal past and it was that, not activism, which appeared to have led to his death. Officials said Moreno was shot at least five times when he stopped his van at an intersection Monday afternoon in Hermosillo, the capital city of Sonora, which borders Arizona.

The exchange of blame for Moreno's death echoed a wider national dispute.

Many Mexicans focus the blame for tens of thousands of crime-related deaths on the incompetence and corruption of federal, state and local authorities. President Felipe Calderon, in turn, has outraged crime victims and their families by saying that 90 percent of those slain in a 5-year-old government war on drug cartels were themselves involved in crime.

Moreno, a 56-year-old sidewalk seafood vendor, became one of the most visible faces of Mexico's anti-crime movement after his 18-year-old son Jorge Mario disappeared in July last year.

Saying masked police had snatched his son and two other young men, Moreno pleaded his case directly to Calderon last month in a meeting between the conservative leader and members of poet Javier Sicilia's Movement for Peace with Justice and Dignity.

Moreno gave the president documents about his son's case, and told Calderon that he feared for his own security and the safety of his family, a spokesman for the movement said. Moreno said in a video interview posted by the movement online that he had been repeatedly threatened by the men who grabbed his son, whom he described as police working with organized crime.

"We hold state and federal authorities responsible for their inaction in this death, for not responding to the requests for protection put forth by our comrade," spokesman Pietro Ameglio said.

[...]

Update:

Courtesy of Guerro criminal inofrmation: http://policiacodesonora.blogspot.com/2009/10/liberan-nepomuceno-moreno-nunez.html

Courtesy of Wen:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10769950

America Wires
AOL

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

final sleep-2

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Guerro
Just another Narco!!! He got what he deserved. He not a Marisela Escobedo so he gets no sympathy from me!!

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

i am proud you said that guerro.  i really cannot say 100% but it sure looks that way and DEF NOT MARISELA!  and that is what ppl are implying

on Twitter last night i posted this and challenged a US reporters to give FULL disclosure.  Two were combative at first obviously not knowing Nepos history.  So when they privately asked for details not rumor i sent him information.  at the end he conceded he had no idea.

so did others, my point is a person on this blog asked via email yesterday why no one was talking about it.  i kept waiting and waiting.  a few bylines but no focus articles, so I decided to mix it up a bit.  i wasn't sure how everyone was going to feel about it, but that never stopped me before, verdad Guerro?

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

El Regio
Great post because I had no clue this guy was a criminal. I have not seen any real leaders against the drug war, most are either paid off by cartels or they are in it for political reasons, like Sicilia.

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Guerro
Yeah and to sum it up his other son is in jail, and was just released today temporary so he could assist his fathers funeral. So its not like he was the only one with criminal ties or had a criminal history, basically other members of his family had some shady background also, what a great family jajaja..the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Source:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/812689.html

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

yeah i saw that his son was in jail, but did not know he was allowed to attend the funeral, 50/50 he
"escapes".  like father like son

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Pinchegringo
El Regio wrote
Great post because I had no clue this guy was a criminal.
Makes two of us EL REG.  It's easy for an activist to also be a criminal.  Just because they don't advocate violence, doesn't make them an angel.

Either way, it sounds like his kharma caught up to him in grim reaper fashion.

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Guerro
Buela sorry I didn't reply earlier but I never check my email and lost my password jaja. Ive managed to  check it through my telefono. But I was able to find this article:

http://policiacodesonora.blogspot.com/2009/10/liberan-nepomuceno-moreno-nunez.html

I have tried and have contacted other reporters so they can provide the actual criminal document but this article pretty much hits the nail jaja.

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

thanks so much Guerro!  I had a hunch I could count on you...this is great

Yes Sir! I don't believe most protest groups anymore because they are usually backed by some special interest group or political party. Especially these guys speaking out against the Government who is there to help them.

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Did you see Guerros link?  I just posted that and another article on an update

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Guerro

the reporter shannon young wrote an article about my challenge of her cream puff piece about Moreno.  no mention of his heroin trafficking conviction, the murder charge and questions in the kidnapping.

she is a good reporter and digs deep, but i feel she has blinders on.

she is out of oaxaca.  she did a great documentary released yesterday i will post today or tomorow but back to this.  I am writing a response and will include hers and make a nice debate post.

if you or anyone else has additional info please send to me via email or post here.

my computer crashed last week and my IT guy has it and it has all my research material, photos, reports etc  i have nothing on this computer so i need all the help i can.

do you know why they aquitted him of the murder charge?  he was with the guys who did the drive by.  were they convicted?
my position is he was a convicted criminal of serious charges in Mexico where 97% of all crimes go without arrest, people can change but his cases were in 1997-1979-2005  a span of 32 years.  something stinks rotten verdad?  plus he runs with some shady characters proof of moral bankruptcy...paz

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Malo Compañía
Chivis,

When I get a comfirmation on something and I find out if it's true, I might have some info to pass on to you, however at this point I need to find out if what I was told is the truth from some old active Duty military folks I knew before I retired.

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

that would be MUCH appreciated...

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Havana
Hey good work Guerro!

This is what I like to see- all of us working together to see what we can come up with for ole Chivis!

Everything I've found thus far points to the NARCOPHONY side of the coin.

Has Texacoco weighed in or J?

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

I don't think either J or Tex knows much of Hermosillo but if so I would love to hear it.
 but how about this
http://segob.gob.mx/es/SEGOB/Sintesis_Informativa?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.SEGOB.swb%23swbpress_Content%3A3310&cat=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.SEGOB.swb%23swbpress_Category%3A1

now how does the atty gen of sonora tell the press the main focus of investigation is links to org crime  in a nice way?  or the criminal past? or perhaps they should just shut up and not share the info?

tough call, but everyone that know about the man knows his history

Re: Nepomuceno Moreno Hero/Activist or Just Another Narco?

Havana
Sounds like they are being publicly, and politically correct. Making an effort to look like they are staging a fair and just investigation - regardless which color hat the victim died wearing. What did they say after Maricela Escobedo was slaughtered? They don't have to say what the focus of the investigation. The investigation will lead to what they reveal-mostly in fiction-or other way around.