NarcoData: Interactive Charts of Organized Crime in Mexico

NarcoData: Interactive Charts of Organized Crime in Mexico

Valor

http://narcodata.animalpolitico.com

The website has interactive charts in the articles.

NarcoData is a data journalism project in which Animal Político and El Daily Post explain the evolution and growth of organized crime in Mexico

There are nine active cartels in Mexico, a country threatened by violence.

Drug cartel leaders become the stuff of legend … Organized crime in Mexico is disproportionately large and its framework is difficult to understand because the cartels don’t just participate in the rapidly growing drugs market, they also sponsor dozens of criminal cells that extort and terrorize the public.

Animal Político identified the need to explain the growth of organized crime and created NarcoData — an interactive website that offers an in-depth study of the past four decades of organized crime in Mexico — so that our readers can more easily understand how it has evolved.

NarcoData is a tool that compiles proven information and presents it in a orderly fashion, with the rigorous attention to detail and innovation that characterizes Animal Político.

This project captures the recent history of organized crime with interactive graphics that demonstrate the rise of cartels, their leaders, the conflicts among them, their geographical expansion and their criminal activities.

The idea behind this site came about when Animal Político obtained documents as a result of a public information request. One document from the Federal Attorney General’s Office (PGR) identified all the criminal cells that operate in Mexico and the cartels they work for. The document also exposed several “myths” spouted by public officials, such as the claim by Mexico City authorities that cartels and organized crime do not operate in the Federal District.

After taking a close look at this document, the entire Animal Político team embraced the challenge of presenting the information in a digital platform to illustrate how drug trafficking reached the scale and influence that it enjoys today.

In order to do this more effectively, we teamed up with Poderopedia, a Chilean media group that uses a digital platform to explain the relationship between the most prominent and powerful businessmen in Chile, Colombia and Venezuela and political control in those South American nations.

Relying on Poderopedia’s model allows us to look at the cartels as powerful business organizations with influence in the political affairs of the country. As such, we were able to adapt Poderopedia’s technological model to explain the evolution of organized crime.

Using public information requests, interviews, exhaustive analysis of newspaper coverage and bibliographical research, and consulting experts in the field including Alejandro Hope (the security editor of El Daily Post who boasts more than 10 years in the field as an analyst), we are confident that we have compiled a comprehensive amount of material. To this, we’ve added the design and programming expertise of our team so as to provide the reader with a useful and manageable tool that is constantly being updated available to any electronic device.

This project has come to fruition thanks to funding by HacksLabs, a data journalism accelerator, Hivos, an international organization that provides funding for projects in developing countries, the Avina foundation and the International Center for Journalists.

Source:El Daily Post

Re: NarcoData: Interactive Charts of Organized Crime in Mexico

I am a huge fan of animal politico, and have a good workign relationship with one of their editors who lives in coahuila.  victor sanchez.  But these interactive charts are not so user friendly.  victor should have been a part of this project, at lest I don't think he is.  he is a master of charts and interactive slide vids.

i will give it another try but so far not impressed.  maybe I am too stupid for this offering  :)

Re: NarcoData: Interactive Charts of Organized Crime in Mexico

_Jack