Quantcast

NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

Mica
nydailynews
Mica- Pretty interesting to think that a ny police officer was in Mexico and involved in the process.

 15-year NYPD veteran who played a key role bringing El Chapo to justice has been made detective first grade, police said Friday.

Detective Diana Spangenberg, 39, a member of the department’s Drug Enforcement Task Force, received the new rank at the department’s promotion ceremony at Police Headquarters, officials said.

Authorities extradited Joaquin (El Chapo) Guzman, the notorious head of the Sinaloa cartel, from Mexico to New York on Jan. 19.

“She was very instrumental in this case,” said one source, noting that Spangenberg has been investigating El Chapo for the past four years.
Spangenberg was one of the law enforcement officers to arrest Guzman in Mexico, sources said.

Because she is fluent in Spanish, she was called upon to question the drug czar when he was in custody, the sources said.

Guzman has become infamous for his Houdini-like escapes from Mexican prisons. The 59-year-old spent months on the run after a using an adapted motorcycle in a mile-long tunnel to escape from a high-security lockup in central Mexico in 2015. He was eventually recaptured after a bloody shootout.

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

Cuidado
lol promoted for questioning him when he got here....what a joke.

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

Mexico-Watcher
This post was updated on .
Cuidado wrote
lol promoted for questioning him when he got here....what a joke.
Mi amigo, tenga cuidado  Note that this cop spent 4years on Chapos' case.  She must have gotten key information and insights that helped nab Chapo.   I am willing to bet that she very much deserved the recognition and promotion.

 I am also convinced that she grew to be an expert on all kinds of topics linked to narco-cartels.

As history repeatedly shows we must never underestimate the intelligence, capabilities, and dogged perseverance of a "any" woman.  Many of the advances of civilizations (e.g. the sciences, medicine, computer math, arts, literature,philosophy, etc have been due to women.).

Also, at a secondary level,women have helped make great men ( like Dr. Ben Carson, great athletes, and professionals of all kinds.  And we must not ignore women in warfare, epidemics, natural disasters, politics, etc. where they have been instrumental in good outcome ways.  Finally, on scientific, human survival basis, some argue that the  female is the "most" powerful of the genders.)

Also, Cuidado, you are here duly forewarned that Chivis is our beloved Borderland Beat "chingona!" ... Amigo, you don't want to piss her off and maybe have Canadiana find your chauvinist nalgas and give you the famous Borderland Beat Down.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

Cuidado
Lol not sure why you are acting like I attacked all women...?   You are guessing she played a big role just as I am guessing she probably had zero to do with Chapos third arrest.  Let me ask you this, what do you think she could have possibly done that the thousands of officials investigating Chapo didnt do?  The Mex govt simply said enough is enough and arrested him imo.

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

ToPHeR
Right, she was just a beat cop who was able to translate for them. DEA and prolly the CIA handled the capture

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

deelucky1
Women get promoted for sleeping with their supperiors how do you know that didnt happen.and chapo would be the best person to understand that after all he is the robinhood of narcos!

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

I think you are being a little harsh on Cuidado.He didn't make a sexist comment.I think he misread the part where she had worked on the case for 4 years and he just questioned the part about getting a promotion just on the merits of translating.She was probably due for a promotion and I'm sure she wasn't the only 1 on the case but nevertheless the boss was happy.That would be like someone insinuating that someone was racist because a different colour got promoted but they were really qualified for the job.We all bring different things to the table in life be it male or female and I can see you are not sexist.I personally find that educated males are less so and the less education the more sexist.I have heard that also about racial predjudice.I don't know why that is,maybe education makes 1 more open minded and truly objective,questioning more.I thought it was more to do with 1's upbringing.

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

No we don't know DeeLucky if she slept with her boss.I know woman that have done that and it usually backfires.They move up quick but it doesn't last when the boss gets tired or the wife suspects she's usually the 1st to go unless she is truly qualified for the job but then too many complications.I have also known men as well that have slept with their bosses to get ahead both straight and gay.Some do and some don't.

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

Mexico-Watcher
ToPHeR wrote
Right, she was just a beat cop who was able to translate for them. DEA and prolly the CIA handled the capture
ToPHeR:  You said, "She was "just" a beat cop...."

From your remark, I infer that:
1. you probably don't know "beat cops" are immersed in a community's world of crime and shady affairs. Good beat cops develop good relationships with citizens (including deviants like whores, fences, addicts, and steerers ((taxi drivers , motel/hotel workers, etc))   Beat cops are often "grounded" data sources for PD detectives working Vice, Burglary, Homicide, Narcotics. DEA, FBI, ATF, CBP, and ICE commonly depend on beat cops for a host of important reasons.

2. Obviously, you don't know "translation" work in fields like psychiatry, medicine, legal, military, or police work.  Good translators can establish good relationships with subjects.  In many cases, they can "probe" and follow subtle leads in an interview that detectives might not even have a clue about.  A good translator may be a bilingual/bi-cultural member of a racial or ethnic minority and thereby understand cultural mores, cultural nuances, and imperatives that the 'outsiders' detective does not.

3. In some cases, the translator might be set loose by the lead detective with the open ended job of "heuristic" exploration that take in all the above factors so as to not "freeze", scare, or threaten a subject.  Under certain situations a lead detective may tell a translator to simply "Do what you have to do, but find out  what you can, in anyway you can, about A,B, and C."  A good translator may thus "spiral" into the interview's by rearranging the order and time allocation to the topics A,B, and C.   In some cases, the translator may decide NOT to get into a given topic (s) because the time is not culturally right.

As you can see, police translators can also be good "ancillary" detectives in their own right. A good translator must, at times, apply cultural knowledge and establish 'trust" and good relationships with subjects.  I am guessing this may have happened in the Chapo Guzman's case.

There is much more I could write about translating work in forensic psychiatry and police work. But I hope you get the picture.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

ToPHeR
None of what you wrote is relevant to her being an "integral" part of capturing Chapo as an nypd beat cop

O.K. fair enough.  My bad... sorry I wasted your time.
Mexico-Watcher

Re: NYPD cop promoted after helping bring El Chapo to justice

deelucky1
Dont know but when cops dress like this i get weak in the knees!