NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

Mica
Daily Mail
NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing
A New York judge has delayed for almost a month the hearing of Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, one of the world's most notorious criminals.

Guzman's attorney Eduardo Balarezo had wanted Judge Brian Cogan to push back the hearing to April. But Cogan of his own accord already delayed it from January 19 to February 15.

Balarezo said he needs more time to address the 290,000 pages of documents and thousands of other documents in the case.

The 60-year-old kingpin, accused of running one of the world's biggest drug empires, has been held in solitary confinement since being extradited on January 19.

Guzman -- who twice escaped from prison in Mexico -- is accused of running the Sinaloa cartel, one of the world's biggest drug empires.

He is facing 17 charges, and if convicted, he is likely to spend the rest of his life in a maximum security US prison.

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

lets make this clear, the judge did not want to answer balarezo request so he is delaying it until 2 months before trial.  balarezo wrote me about this yesterday.  naturally the chapo team is very upset.  and the amt of discovery is 2 times what this post says

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

Kye0001
Does his lawyers think he will get a fair trial?

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

No

and anyone fairly looking at the case will not think so either.

there is no reason for this, they have a forest filled with evidence.  he will be convicted, he should be treated fairly.

I think he deserves life, but I think he is being treated grossly unfairly

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

Kye0001
Thanks.  His lawyers have definitely got a hard job ahead of them.

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

I honestly don't know what a victory looks like....life with parole?  maybe.  but they gave mochomo life until death..so one would think chapo deserves that all things being equal

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

BBfollower
This post was updated on .
Human rights can't do anything regarding his rights/treatment? I mean, ya, he's a bad person but even him has rights...

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

It doesn't seem so because of the SAMS provision voted in a month after 911 attack.  it was designed for terrorists.  not drug traffickers.

this really isn't about chapo.  it is about the integrity of our system of due process and protecting the rights of all people.  it can lead to a slippery slope.

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

Mica
Moved from May to September

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

Kye0001 wrote
Does his lawyers think he will get a fair trial?
What’s a fair trial for Chapo?  Reality is a bitch, but he knew this already.  The defense is surpassing the expectation for pro bono.

Chivis have you asked why the attorney has taken on the case?  It’s clearly a terrible case and at his level is losing money (in the short term).  Is this all for publicity or hoping to cash in when it’s all said and done?  Seriously, he can spare us the to kill a mockingbird speech, what’s real deal?

Re: NY judge delays 'El Chapo' hearing

elranarene
Some People might want to hire the guy who defended el chapo. So i would go for PR and cash in with next clients