NAFTA and Mexico

el Spaceio
so if Trump really does  trash NAFTA how does this effect Mexico and how much does Mexico need NAFTA?

also how can Mexico get mad if USA charges a 20% tariff when Mexico charges a 15% bullshit tax thats like a tariff when USA sends stuff to Mexico

doesnt it seem like Mexico is a little one way on this?
~~~ I believe in equal rights for every Honest Person on this Planet regardless of Race or Money ~~~

favorite quote "helping to better the lives of others is the greatest of all achievements" http://www.feinsteinfoundation.org/

my email is lostowl@lycos.com

Viva the Law!!!

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

I didn't know that,that Mexico charges 15% on import stuff.I was on a expat website where retired ppl. mostly from US that live in Mexico said the quality of stuff in Walmart [which most of it's from China] is poorer quality than that in US Walmart's.                                                                                                                                             I gather that Mexico's going to focus it's trade on it's 2nd biggest trading partner whoever that is and Latin America.I'm sure it will be in on the Transpacific 1 with Asia what with similar wages is probably going to be a good deal for them.The other partner in NAFTA, Canada is focusing on trade with China,Japan and India as well as the Transpacific.

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

huero minuto
Good topic.
From what I understand, NAFTA really did a number on alot of Mexicos industries, ie the cooperatives by lowering the price for things like corn and allowing cheap imports to flood their markets.  It put alot of small farmers out of business, they lost their land and the big guys stepped in.  Nafta in a direct way helped supercharge the drug business because alot of people began to rely on dope to pay their bills.
Jstanothercoyo

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

huero minuto
I'll add another example, shoes.  While not exactly NAFTA, free trade deals with China have flooded Mexico wirh cheap imports.  The huarache, when well made, has many variations due to culture, materials ect.  This is a homegrown industry that has been hurt by 'modernisation' and free trade. I'll take a well made chancla with strong leather and real tire tread any day over tennis shoes, and, my chanclas will last longer.
Jstanothercoyo

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

it killed the poorest of the poor in mexico...farmers  :(

trump wants a modified deal to comport with the time we are in today.  It should be addressed.

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

spaceio

good topic idea....

BTW...how are you?  write me sometime

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

I remember back in the 80's so many cheap imports from Japan,not in the tourist shops but in tons of shops in La Paz and yes the huarches were good but some of the Mexican made clothing I bought in Mexico City when washed the dye would bleed out on a 2 tone outfit and ruin it.Back then you couldn't find any American products almost anywhere and I was offered more than once if I wanted to sell my Levis that I was wearing.Do they still have big Mexican clothing manufacturers in Mexico?I would think they could compete with China on wages and no import tax or did NAFTA also put a lot of them out of business because everyone wanted to buy from an American chain like Walmart even though the stuff's from China?I'm not sure but I think Walmart was 1 of the 1st dept. store chains to go 'global' when they 1st started in the States with nonlocal products that made them 1 of the biggest corporations in the world from cheap 3rd world labour now everybody wants to do it.Has everyone noticed on appliances yes they are cheaper but quality is gone?You are lucky to get 5 years out of a dishwasher or washing machine and a couple of service calls as soon as the warranty is up rather than the old 25 year life.

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

huero minuto
I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to whats really happening in the Mex economy.  I can say that here in California at the remates(flea markets)  there are lots of products sold that come from mexican fabricas: shoes, boots, food products, so there definately is a large manufacturing base there.
       I think one big change that NAFTA supercharged was the products people made or assembled were not meant for them, they were meant for the US.  I think of  auto factories for one example, or the maqilladores on the border.  Theres alot of hardworking people over there.
    When I used the huarache as an example I meant to highlight the smaller craftsmen and women, the artisans of mexico.  The factories are somewhat different because they operate on a larger scale, and yes, the quality can sometimes leave something to be desired.   The individual shoe maker carves his own lasts (forms) and builds it up from there.  I think in the factories, they buy their lasts from China.  When these old timers die out their knowledge is gone, unless the kids continue the tradition.
Jstanothercoyo

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

Mexico-Watcher
huero minuto wrote
Good topic.
From what I understand, NAFTA really did a number on alot of Mexicos industries, ie the cooperatives by lowering the price for things like corn and allowing cheap imports to flood their markets.  It put alot of small farmers out of business, they lost their land and the big guys stepped in.  Nafta in a direct way helped supercharge the drug business because alot of people began to rely on dope to pay their bills.
Props!  Short and sweet.  I have met numbers of Mexicans who agree with your POV.  Some blame NAFTA as a contributing (along with Narcos, corruption, etc) factor in fukinup their villages and their stable "peaceful" way of life.  And about the NAFTA linked maquiladoras and agricorporation abuses? Don't get me started.

Maybe doing away with NAFTA and crafting new bilateral economic and trade arrangements would be good?
Mexico-Watcher

Re: NAFTA and Mexico

el Spaceio
Chivis wrote
spaceio

good topic idea....

BTW...how are you?  write me sometime
i am good my friend.

i have the utmost respect for you and when i see some fools hating on you it saddens me because you are a really good person.