More News Reporters "Sneak" Across the Border

More News Reporters "Sneak" Across the Border

Nuttz

Re: More News Reporters "Sneak" Across the Border

Siskiyou_Kid
The part of the story that says:

Mexico agreed to issue Regional Visitor permits that will "allow Guatemalans to enter the country without a passport and stay for up to three days in any of the 81 bordering municipalities located throughout the states of Chiapas, Tabasco and Quintana Roo."

is good news for Guatemalan migrants, although they should do the same for immigrants from anywhere in Latin America, or at least Central America.

By legalizing the immigration status of these migrants, it makes it more difficult for human trafficking groups to victimize them.

Re: More News Reporters "Sneak" Across the Border

La Pera
Am I missing something here? The only benefit I can see to Mexico's willingness to allow Guatemalan immigrants THREE DAYS in neighboring states is that it opens the corridor to more illegal immigration into the U.S. And your suggestion that it should be so for all South American countries is ludicrous to me. Borders are not meant to be porous. No matter where they are. The U.S. was founded on revolution. We are not a bottomless pit to absorb the worlds downtrodden and victimized. Change needs to come within these countries. Arming the citizens would be a good start.

Re: More News Reporters "Sneak" Across the Border

Siskiyou_Kid
The primary problem posed by migrants who are in transit through Mexico, is that they are victimized by organized crime groups, and the money earned by these groups empowers them, fueling even more crime.

Many countries offer transit visas lasting from 1-14 days, and if Mexico were to offer such visas to migrants who don't intend to stay in Mexico, the influence and income of organized crime groups could be reduced. This would be a win/win for immigrants and Mexico.
JMB

That's really nice but there's this huge corruption problem which needs to be addressed first. Who's to say that the "visa issuers" aren't also working for bad guys? They'll sell the lists of who is where ... It's all about el dinero, on both borders.

Re: More News Reporters "Sneak" Across the Border

La Pera
Many countries offer transit visas lasting from 1-14 days, and if Mexico were to offer such visas to migrants who don't intend to stay in Mexico, the influence and income of organized crime groups could be reduced. This would be a win/win for immigrants and Mexico.

But not for the U.S.