Monterrey- American living behind the lines

Monterrey- American living behind the lines

Chupacabra
I live and work in Monterrey.  Have been for a few months.  I want some opinions on safety of Americans living in Monterrey.

Re: Monterrey- American living behind the lines

ovemex
Administrator
Personally, I don't think your safety is anymore at risk than any other "regio's"..The danger is out there, and you can never be sure where or when something might happen. Be alert, learn the "signs", don't go out of your way to tempt fate, BUT don't stop living.

Saludos

Re: Monterrey- American living behind the lines

Chupacabra
thanks.    I've been coming to Mexico for the last 4 years doing business.  I am aware of the signs and know how to dress, and switch up my routine to not make myself a target.  That being said, not sure if Americans are targeted for just being American.  I speak fluent Spanish and read well so I know when of if I am getting taken advantage of.  Its been my experience that once they know you speak Spanish they tend to change face and treat you different...not better...just different.

Re: Monterrey- American living behind the lines

curioso
I do not live in Monterrey so I cannot speak to that. But I am an American living and working in Mexico for the past 3 years. My wife's family is from here, and I also work for one of the big maquilas here so I know many people. Every now and then I get a dirty look from someone who obviously doesn't like Americans but for the most part the people have been extremely warm and friendly to me. I am about 85% fluent in spanish and that does help alot.

I have had to learn to not be as curioso as I was living in the US, and also how to "fit in" more. I have never come close to having any kind of problems at all.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience