Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

On Monday the day after the government announced the death of "El Chayo" Miguel Ángel Osorio Chong, said in the media that clashes arising between local leaders at a time when authorities are on the trail of the main leaders of The Knights Templar "was the last straw."

With foreboding, I waited to see what would follow that statement.  It was not a long wait.

 On Tuesday Hipolito Mora, one of the leaders of the self-defense groups was detained by the PGJE (state A/G) for investigation of murder.  On Thursday, just as the 48 hours that the govt could hold him in detention expired, they filed charges of murder and 34 other charges against him the the detention became an arrest.  He was then promptly transferred to a state prison in Morelia, the state capital.

The day before, on Wed.  28 vigilantes were arrested for breaking in to a cartel leader's ranch and trying to take two dozen purebred horses.

This was followed the next day, Friday (today) by an announcement that the illegal tactics of the self-defense groups would no longer be tolerated.  The Govt. seemed to be drawing the line and saying the law would be strictly followed.  Presumably this would mean enforcing the law against illegal weapons, setting up road blocks and checkpoints, and liberating towns of the cartels.

The govt. has vacillated in past from "vigilante groups can not be allowed to exist - they must disarm and return to their homes.  Then the next day federal police would be escorting the self-defense groups into a town they were seeking to liberate.  Osario even made the statement when Dr. Mireles was in the hospital in Mexico City that "yes we are helping them (self-defense groups) because they are are helping us against the cartels"

But this time it sounds and looks like they are serious in going after the movement.  Many, myself included, did not think the govt. could allow them to continue as they were gaining to much power through the support of the people.  That constitutes a big threat to a corrupt government, especially after the ADs (self-defense groups) have cleared the Templars out of a large segment of Mich. and are now talking about the next step is to remove the corrupt public officials..

"We are putting up the 'stop' sign" to the vigilantes, a federal official who was not authorized to be quoted by name said Friday on condition of anonymity. "We are reaching a turning point, a point of change."

The official explained that when tens of thousands of federal forces were dispatched to Michoacan in May 2013, they depended on the vigilantes to point out suspected drug cartel members.

Now, after months on the ground, military personnel have developed intelligence enabling them to capture or arrest several top cartel leaders. "We are reaching a point at which we no longer need them," the official said of the vigilantes.

Vigilante spokesman Estanislao Beltran denied that Wednesday's ranch raid represented any kind of theft.

"They (the vigilantes) were trying to recover horses that had been stolen by the Templars," Beltran said.

But the federal official said the vigilantes "are going after the spoils of war" in such raids, which have been commonplace at cattle ranches, homes and orchards purportedly owned or occupied by cartel members.

The land and property takeovers have created divisions in the movement and among Michoacan residents, the federal official said, and may have played a role in the murder of the two rival vigilantes last weekend, who were allegedly killed by members of Mora's faction.

The official said local residents accuse Mora of demanding money in return for giving them back properties that the cartel had stolen from them.

In a perfect world, or even in the United States, the conflicts between the AD leaders and the charges being leveled back and forth could be promptly resolved in the court room.  But the history of corruption in Mich. (and elsewhere in Mx.), from the traffic cop to the Governor does not give me a lot of confidence that justice will be done.

Sources;

http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-draw-line-vigilantes-231828360.html

http://mexicovoices.blogspot.mx/2014/03/mexico-drug-war-michoacan-self-defense_13.html

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

Jack Hawkins
Banned User
One article I read referenced the idea that the AD was now in control of 'El Chango's" old turf.

That geography also corresponds to where the Federals deployed.

That may be all the Federals will let them have.

Mora, the effective AD leader that managed the liberation of Apatzingán, has been taken off the field.
Doc Mireles and Smurf will both have to step up, now. Those twenty to thirty thousand armed men that were referenced, early on, as the size of the force the AD could mobilize, may need to be called upon.

Or settle for what they have already gained.

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

they is now a huge and public swell of support for Mora, who is loved by the majority of the public outside la Ruana where it is pretty evenly split between the adversaries.

father goyo and dr M both gave interviews of strong support yesterday

a public op poll went like this:
bueno o malo?

dr M  Bueno
smurf  Bueno
Hipolito  Bueno
Abuelo  Malo
Americano  Malo

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

tuSancho
Well it looks to me like "breaking up" the ADs is hitting a new level.  Of the 28 arrested for taking horses, 14 have ended up in my hood... Nayarit.  The other 14 are in Puente Grande / Guadalajara.  None in Michoacan.

More news on this:  http://nayaritenlinea.mx/2014/03/15/trasladan-a-presuntos-autodefensas-a-nayarit-los-acusan-de-robar-caballos-finos/

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

Jack Hawkins
Banned User

Are they in Federal rather than State jails/ prisons?

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

tuSancho
Federal.  I think the one in Tepic is called El Rincon.  La Reyna del Sur was there recently.  There is a state Prison in Tepic called Venustiano Carranza.  An interesting place... google it.  Some pez gordos there too.  Have you read or heard stories about Chapo related to Tepic and Compostela?  Again, in my hood.  A lot of narco activity but very much on the low-down.  google chapo and compostela... he hid out there after his escape from Puente Grande (mentioned above) in Guadalajara.  I think he married or had a girlfriend from Compostela.  Compostela is famous for talabateria - saddlemaking.  And the prisons are great places to shop for handmade goods, particularly leather y pita.  Tengo unos.

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

tuSancho
Here's this too:  http://nayaritenlinea.mx/2014/02/23/el-chapo-en-nayarit-la-pista-del-tonino-y-su-compadre-de-compostela/

And I forgot... another federal pen... Las Islas Marias.

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

@tuSancho.  I think the Morelia Cereso where they took Mora is a state prison.  I made an error in the story (which I have now corrected) in stating the PGR detained Mora.  It was the PGJE (STATE A/G).  I have read that they took him before a federal judge where the arrest warrant or indictment was issued.  It makes it kind of confusing, but it has been the state prosecutors office that has been talking about the 36 charges filed against him.

I also did a BB search on federal prisons and Chivis said there are only 12 and our friend K.Mennem from "Hell on Earth" posted a list of them and Morelia is not on the list.

The Mexican judicial system does seem a little strange at times.  The alleged horse thieves were sent to fed prisons and the accused murderer (Mora) was sent to state prison.

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

tuSancho
Sometimes federal detainees are placed in state lock ups pending proceedings; holding.  This may be the case with Sr. Mora.

What I was most referring to was the people who took the horses.  They have be seperated and sent to federal lock ups, one near me.

I would guess there is a government strategy to this... it is not unintentional.  They may not have wanted the other ADs in the same place with Mora.  Maybe they were actually detained on something other than taking horses, like illegal firearms... something federal, not state violation.  We'll soon find out.

Another dynamic I wonder about is how will trials now be conducted by the feds?  Do  they have to follow new rules because of the judicial changes.  Will there be open court?  This could be interesting in Michoacan.

Re: Monday - Osario say "this is the last straw; Friday - Feds "draw line on self-defense forces" "We don't need them"

tuSancho
A call for the Navy/Marines to take control of security in Michoacan:

http://marmorinforma.mx/Michoacan/Estado/Diputado-pide-que-Marina-tome-control-en-Michoacan