Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes

Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes

Mica
Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes
Washington Post

MEXICO CITY — Some of Mexico’s most notorious drug capos irked by a price hike on junk food inside federal prisons found an ally in the country’s consumer protection agency Wednesday.

The federal prosecutor for the consumer said prisoners shouldn’t be gouged and should be able to buy products at the same price as the regular market.

The newspaper Reforma reported Wednesday that some of Mexico’s most notorious drug bosses, including former Juarez cartel boss Vicente Carrillo Fuentes, were among dozens of signatories of a complaint to the consumer agency.

The agency announced later in the day that it had opened an investigation.

The prisoners complained that prices have jumped 20 percent since prison commissaries were reorganized in October, boosting the price of a bag of Cheetos from $2.35 to $3.30.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Re: Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes

Chava
That's hysterical, seeing how in most of the Mexican prisons, a criminal group actually "runs" the concessions.

Re: Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes

Yeah no kidding and also remember what the Cartels did to the prices of avocados a couple of years ago?Did they care?Getting a taste of their own medicine?

Re: Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes

stevectpa
Simple math, but if the price of the Cheetos went from $2.35 to $3.30, would be a 40% increase.

Re: Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes

But they only charge the business extortion tax of 25%!Boy is life unfair and oh someone will have to pay for that 40% increase!Sorry I can't help but be sarcastic!

Re: Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes

Chava
I'm betting their math isn't that "off" on their drug deals

or is it?

I'm guessing it could be a WAPO reporter's math as well

Re: Mexico to probe capos’ complaints on junk food price hikes

Chava
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/ex-drug-lords-object-to-pricey-prison-chips/

Imprisoned drug lords are among inmates who have raised their voices to object to the high price of chips in federal penitentiaries.

Pricey papitas, as chips and other fried goodies are known, have prompted 130 prisoners in two federal penitentiaries to write and complain to the head of the consumer protection agency, Profeco.

Signatories include former drug cartel bosses such as Vicente Carrillo Fuentes, who led the Juárez Cartel; Sidronio Casarrubias Salgado, former leader of the Guerreros Unidos; and José Noé Barajas Esquivel, one-time operator in Michoacean for the Caballeros Templarios gang.

The inmates complain that prices of products including junk food, toiletries and stationery rose by an average of 20% after a reconfiguration in October of the stores in the penitentiaries.

“We’re forced to purchase food, hygiene and stationery products with an excessive and unjustified markup,” said the prisoners.

“We’re forced to because adequate nourishment is not provided, because there only exists one option that has a monopoly on the sale of products, because we need stationery products to communicate with our relatives and the courts in order to exercise our right to a defense,” continued the letter.

The inmates requested that realistic prices be charged in the penitentiaries and punishment for those who carry out what they called abuse, “because they can’t sell us things at whatever prices they decide just because we’re imprisoned in a federal facility.”