Mexico-Style Extortion Phone Calls Made in Florida; Victims Told Relatives are Kidnapped by the Mexican Mafia

Mexico-Style Extortion Phone Calls Made in Florida; Victims Told Relatives are Kidnapped by the Mexican Mafia

Anasazi
Most of you who live in Mexico or are tied into Mexican culture knows that extortionists have long made threatening phone calls to innocent people demanding a ransom. The victims are often told that their relatives have been kidnapped by the Zetas or some other cartel, or that their relative is in trouble with Mexican law enforcement and needs to pay a fine or bribe. The victim is typically told to go transfer money anonymously at an Oxxo convenience store.

In Mexico, these calls have been going on for so long that most people are aware of them, know that they're typically fake and there's actually a genre of YouTube videos of people toying with the extortionists by dragging on calls or saying ridiculous stuff.

I never thought I'd hear of this type of extortion call being made in Tallahassee, Florida, of all places. And the threat apparently is that the victim's relative has been kidnapped by the Mexican Mafia. Keep in mind that the Mexican Mafia mostly exists in California, Arizona and Texas. Somewhat odd place to make these calls to. The callers are international callers, so I assume they're the same people, mostly Mexican prisoners, making these calls. I guess Mexicans grew smart to these so they need to prey on new victims. I wonder if this will become a bigger trend in the U.S.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2017/06/13/tpd-warns-against-mexican-mafia-phone-scam/393381001/

TPD warns against 'Mexican Mafia' phone scam

Ashley White , Democrat staff writer

A new phone scam has people believing the "Mexican Mafia" has kidnapped a loved one and demands they pay a ransom, the Tallahassee Police Department warned Tuesday.

The scam starts with an international caller stating they are a member of the "Mexican Mafia." The caller states they've kidnapped a family member who usually lives in another part of the state or country. The scammer uses profanity and threatening language while claiming the relative will be harmed if a ransom isn't paid.

In the background of the call, another actor will yell and cry into the phone and say "just give them what they want." The caller will demand the victim of the scam go to an ATM and withdraw money, purchase gift cards or provide bank account information. The caller also will ask for other relatives' information so they can continue the scam. The phone calls can last hours.

Anyone who receives this call should hang up and dial 911, the TPD Criminal Investigation Division said. People also can call 850-891-4200 to report the scam.

Re: Mexico-Style Extortion Phone Calls Made in Florida; Victims Told Relatives are Kidnapped by the Mexican Mafia

Chava
Wondering why they'd suggest 911?