Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Mica
Bloomberg

Mexico’s government isn’t being truthful about the botched attempt to capture the son of the world’s most notorious drug trafficker, according to a former head of international operations for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

The administration of President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador hasn’t revealed that while trying to bring Ovidio Guzman Lopez into custody, security forces had caught another son of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, Mike Vigil, the former DEA official, said in an interview.

Ivan Archivaldo Guzman Salazar had also been detained and let go when gunmen overpowered police, Vigil said, citing unverified intelligence he received from top Mexico police sources. The New York Times had originally reported that Ivan Archivaldo had also been captured and released, citing people who asked not to be identified.

“There are so many factors that point to the fact that he was there and they also released him,” said Vigil. “But they’ll never admit to it because they’ve been lying from the get go.” Vigil wouldn’t disclose the sources behind his assertions, which couldn’t be independently corroborated. He added that authorities have been misleading the public by playing down the amount of planning that went into the operation.

Lopez Obrador said at his daily news conference Wednesday that he had no information on whether Ivan Archivaldo had been captured and released. AMLO’s press office strongly rejected Vigil’s assertion that it misled the public on the botched arrest. “There’s been an unusual amount of transparency, not only for Mexico but by international standards. The entire security cabinet was explaining every detail,” said Jesus Cantu, the information chief of the president’s press office. “The president himself said he’d testify before the authorities if they considered he’d done something illegal.”

How AMLO’s Plans to Transform Mexico Ran Into Reality: QuickTake

Lopez Obrador, known as AMLO, has been struggling to convince the public that his government took the right step by releasing Guzman Lopez after gunmen began attacking civilians in efforts to free him in the northern city of Culiacan, Sinaloa. Guzman Lopez is said to have taken over some of the criminal activities after his father was sentenced to life in a U.S. prison.

Initially, Mexico’s security chief, Alfonso Durazo, had said the troops had stumbled on Guzman Lopez by accident. Afterward, government officials said it was part of a planned operation. More recently, officials signaled that the arrest was approved by low-level law enforcement officials and cabinet ministers may not have been aware.

While the president and Durazo have spoken of “errors” regarding the operation, they’ve been distancing themselves from it. AMLO, as the president is known, said Tuesday that he wasn’t informed about the operation to capture Guzman Lopez.

He also confirmed that there was an extradition order for the alleged trafficker and raised questions about whether the minister of defense had even been informed about the operation. “I think the Defense Ministry had knowledge of it, the minister? I don’t know. I think so.”

Jesus Ramirez, the president’s spokesman and like Cantu is also from AMLO’s press office, told Bloomberg News on Monday that Mexico attempted to detain Guzman Lopez upon request by the DEA for extradition. The DEA declined to comment and the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City directed inquiries to the White House press office, which hasn’t responded to a request for comment.

Vigil questioned why the authorities would target Guzman Lopez for extradition, when Chapo’s other sons are far more active in the Sinaloa Cartel once run by their father. “Jesus Alfredo and Ivan Archivaldo are much more important than Ovidio,” he said. “Mexico from the very beginning began distorting the truth in order to buy time so they could come up with a plausible deniability story.”

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Mica
So was Ivan actually captured?  Chatter on here seems to think so, former DEA agents with sources seem to think so and the Mexican government denies it.

The last part of the article has a really good point.  Ovidio could not have been the real target and just happened to be there.
Mica wrote
Vigil questioned why the authorities would target Guzman Lopez for extradition, when Chapo’s other sons are far more active in the Sinaloa Cartel once run by their father. “Jesus Alfredo and Ivan Archivaldo are much more important than Ovidio,” he said. “Mexico from the very beginning began distorting the truth in order to buy time so they could come up with a plausible deniability story.”

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Ovidio was indicted in February of this year, he is a high profile, high value target, with ab extradition order.  That's why DEA was tracking him in Culiacan.  Mike Vigil, to me, cannot be counted on for much.  He ran DEA ops like 25 years ago.

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

AMLO released them chapo funded his whole politacal campaign H9 incident did they care about cavilian casualties mencho fliped the local federales AMLO came to the rescue .its mexico where does anybody get its good guy vs bad guys

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

his speeches are phony nobody is alowed  too question him so evrything he reads from the teleprompter is epic .he reads evrything so casual cause he knows nobody can say anything too him .why does anybody take whatever he says in consideration ?

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

why does AMLO concentrate on sinaloa so much. thats where a big fat stack of money comes from every month .this would be the 2nd time ivans been released or nobodys keeping up ??

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

you are absolutely correct J....vigil is not in the loop  and spreads conjecture and made a career off of it.  You and I and most of BB followers know more.

I check with an agent who confirm this and said he is not respected not his "info"

anything with his name attached I will not use

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

ElGrandeRojo
Mike Vigil was a good agent. Was. He just talks and gets paid. He, and the guy who wrote the Chapo book are just LE papparazi IMO.

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Vigil is not respected but do the people here believe Ivan was captured?  I know the Mexican government is going to "be transparent" with the details this week, but whatever they say will be questioned and doubted.

I am still searching for the details of what happened, but have come to accept that it may not ever truly be known.

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

North

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Try to translate if you post something in another language.Thank you.

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

ElGrandeRojo
Somehow I don't buy that MZ had that much to do with it. I believe he sent some men. I would believe he received leaked into. I have a hard time believing he led the offense. He never lifted a finger when either son was arrested. Gordo was in or close to Culiacan. Doesn't make sense. You'd think he would burn up allot of his influence in the gov. I'd even be talked into believing he intervened when it got crazy, and negotiated a release, but to order the action, that happened, I can't see happening. JMO

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

No closed captioning/translate to English button, but here is AMLO explaining the events today.

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Char
A video of Ovidio Guzman when captured was just released

I told you guys SEDENA Mexican Army Special Forces known as Reaction Force was involved

This group of Special Reaction Forced has captured El Lobo Valencia, El 85 of Cjng, El Tory.... like J said though things got out of hand in Culiacán seems like they where not well supported overall. This group also captured Menchito twice, El Flaco Salgueiro, Ovidio Limón Sánchez

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Char
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwz1zEUWVr0

Finally the media is catching up !!!!! About damn time

Ivan Archivaldo is responsible for the chaos that day in Culiacán

Did MZ participate in the release or negotiated YES

In the video Ovidio calls Ivan Archivaldo to stop the chaos and shootings

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Char

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

char

please post your images smaller....try medium size

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

above is medium from the post we are working on

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

Martian100
Doesn’t seem so unbelievable different factions in any cartel give each other support be it arms, manpower, or financial support we’ve seen evidence of this numerous times..it also fits into the definition of a cartel,, to what extent Mayo helped no one knows,,only someone in their inner circle would know but I’m sure as time goes on more n more info will come out,,To me it’s just as simple as If Mayos faction has a stake in Culiacán (which I’m pretty sure it does) then he would’ve had some form of input be it green-lighting chapitos actions,actual support,or just awareness of what was going on. WHY IS IT THAT EVERY YEAR AROUND THIS TIME MAYBE EVEN THIS EXACT MONTH A CARTEL HEAVYWEIGHT GETS CAPTURED?THIS HAS BOTHERED ME FOR YEARS AS IVE NOTICED A VERY STRONG PATTERN..I know there are some ppl here that would be able to answer that question,, thank you in advance and to the staff great work guys always

Re: Mexico Misleads on Failed Arrest of ‘Chapo’ Son: Ex-DEA Official

These boys love white cars.

There was a report that the majority of the sicarios that day had white cars.

This house had 4 white cars.

In Puerto Vallarta, they had 4 white cars.

Is there something special to all of there cars being white?
12345