Mexico Graft Inquiry Deepens With Arrest of a Presidential Ally Image

Mexico Graft Inquiry Deepens With Arrest of a Presidential Ally Image

Chava
A former deputy in President Enrique Peña Nieto’s party has been arrested as part of an investigation into the illegal use of public money to fuel his party’s campaigns in Mexican elections last year, state officials announced on Wednesday.

The former deputy, Alejandro Gutiérrez, is one of several allies of Mexico’s president suspected of taking part in an embezzlement scheme to propel his party’s chances at a time of deep dissatisfaction with the government, according to former officials connected to the scheme and hundreds of pages of documents reviewed by The New York Times.

The arrest of Mr. Gutiérrez, a veteran figure who helped control the finances of the governing Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI, is part of a widening inquiry into the enormous corruption that occurred under the previous governor of the state of Chihuahua. The governor was a close friend of Mexico’s president and a rising star in the party before he fled to the United States to avoid corruption charges.

The case against him has already ensnared more than a dozen former state officials, some of whom are now cooperating with the authorities.

Fuente: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/20/world/americas/mexico-corruption-pri.html?referer=

Re: Mexico Graft Inquiry Deepens With Arrest of a Presidential Ally Image

Anybody have a guess as to what party may get in for the next 6?Not looking too good for the PRI unless he gets Mencho maybe on the eve of the election and then he can put his favourite buddy in to replace Mencho and can keep those coffers ($) open!Pure speculation on my part.

Re: Mexico Graft Inquiry Deepens With Arrest of a Presidential Ally Image

Siskiyou_Kid
Even with all of these supposed 'scandals' I can't see Meade losing to Amlo this July. Elections in Mexico are decided by the Grupo Atlacomulco and Meade is their guy. This likely leaves PAN/PRD candidate Anaya out in the cold.

Financial markets are skittish about the possibility that Amlo could win with his lead in recent polls. However, even with his promise to to grant an amnesty to narcos, along with a slew of populist freebies, I can't see the power and money losing.

http://www.elarsenal.net/2017/11/30/meade-el-tecnocrata-teto-del-grupo-atlacomulco/

Re: Mexico Graft Inquiry Deepens With Arrest of a Presidential Ally Image

Chava
I'm seeing Anaya getting pushed aside, and Mancera being on the ballot. Anaya doesn't have name recognition in my opinion.