Mexico - Coronavirus

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Mica
This is no April fools.  Everything is perfect for Trump to attack right now.  DTO’s dealing in precursors are not too big to fail during times like this.

This is what the war on drugs is suppose to look like.  This stay at home is going into May and June.  I can promise you, even the old school guys are scratching their heads. The Chapitos and Narco Juniors live load to load, they don’t have stacks of liquid.  The Mayos will sit and wait as they did during 9/11.  Remember The AFO had this issue during 9/11.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
[WE HAD THIS LAST SUNDAY IN THE NEWS, CONSERVATIVES WANT AMLO TO SELF-ISOLATE SO THEY CAN TAKE OVER MEXICO]

President López Obrador claimed on Sunday that his political opponents – “the conservatives” – want him to self-isolate amid the growing coronavirus outbreak so that they can seize power.

The president’s claim came a day after Hidalgo Governor Omar Fayad, who attended López Obrador’s regular news conference on March 18, announced that he had tested positive for Covid-19. López Obrador leveled his accusation in a video message filmed on a hotel balcony in Culiacán, Sinaloa.

“Do you know what the conservatives want? For me to isolate myself [but] there would be no leadership [of the country] or there would be their leadership because in politics there are no power vacuums – the voids are filled and that’s what they want, for there to be a vacuum so that they can take control … in an irresponsible way,” he said.

López Obrador claimed that “the conservatives” – a term that he uses frequently to describe both his current political opponents and members of past “neoliberal” governments – want him off the political scene because they are angry about the changes his government is carrying out.

“As they dedicated themselves to stealing and looting and we said enough’s enough, they’re very angry,” he said.

The president also reiterated his message for people to stay at home as much as possible to limit the spread of Covid-19, although he declared that the disease “is not the plague.”

“Those of us who have an important function, a basic one, can go out to the street and work. … You can’t close a tortilla shop, doctors and nurses have to keep working, the police [too] so that there are no robberies,” López Obrador said, adding that he, as president, must also continue working.

The president, widely known as AMLO, reasserted his message later on Sunday at an event in Badiraguato, Sinaloa, home town of convicted drug trafficker Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán.

Speaking after he had inspected the progress made on the new Badiraguato-Guadalupe y Calvo highway, López Obrador said:

“I can’t put myself in quarantine … because we need to have leadership of the country. Not only do the conservatives want me to move out of the way and disappear, they want the fourth transformation that we are leading to fail.”

AMLO added that he would be prepared to be tested for Covid-19 but only if he had symptoms of the disease such as fever, a dry cough and body aches.

“If one doesn’t have those symptoms, there is no need to take the test: just [keep a] healthy distance [from each other],” he declared.

However, during his visit to Badiraguato, part of the Golden Triangle region that is notorious for opium poppy and marijuana cultivation, AMLO once again failed to observe his own government’s social distancing advice by shaking hands with nonagenarian María Consuelo Loera Pérez, El Chapo’s mother.

In a video first posted to social media, López Obrador is seen greeting the capo’s mother as she sits in the passenger seat of a stationary SUV on a dirt road. “Don’t get out,” the president tells Loera before extending his hand.

“I already got your letter,” he added during the brief encounter, which occurred on the birthday of El Chapo’s son Ovidio, who was released by federal security forces last October after his capture in Culiacán triggered a wave of violence in the city from the Sinaloa Cartel.

The main opposition political parties were quick to condemn López Obrador for greeting the former Sinaloa Cartel leader’s mother.

“President, your greeting of Chapo Guzmán’s mother angers all of us. It shows a lack of respect to the victims of drug trafficking and the [members of] the armed forces who risk their lives for our safety. It is urgent that you explain your links to the family and if there is a connection with the release of Ovidio,” National Action Party national president Marko Cortés wrote on Twitter.

The Institutional Revolutionary Party also called for an explanation from the president.

“We ask the president … [to provide] a clear explanation about the reasons for holding a meeting with the mother of a drug trafficker. It’s regrettable that while Mexicans are fighting against the coronavirus, he is maintaining an agenda that is not in favor of Mexicans,” the party said on its Twitter account.

López Obrador responded to the criticism at his regular news conference on Monday.

“Yes I greeted her. Our adversaries, the conservatives, made a fuss about it. … She’s a 92-year-old lady. I’ve already said that the fatal plague is corruption not a senior citizen who deserves my full respect regardless of who her son is,” he said.

AMLO also said that he would make public the letter he received from Loera.

“I’ll ask the lady to understand that we have nothing to hide. There is nothing that could embarrass her or me. She has every right to defend her son as a mother and I have the obligation to listen to all Mexicans.”

Source: El Universal (sp), Reforma (sp), Milenio (sp)

[IT GETS WORSE IN NEXT POST.  AMLO TRUMPING SCIENCE]

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
[WHO'S SHITTING WHO, PROPAGANDA MACHINE ALIVE IN CHINA, RUSSIA, IRAN, N. KOREA, VENEZUALA AND NOW MEXICO]

The commencement of the government’s social distancing initiative on March 23 should soon result in a decrease in the number of confirmed coronavirus cases reported on a daily basis, Deputy Health Minister Hugo López-Gatell said on Tuesday.

“When 14 days have passed – in fact seven days on average – since the mitigation measures began, we’re going to begin to see changes in the inclination of this line [the epidemic curve]; we should see, hopefully we’ll see,” López-Gatell told reporters at the government’s nightly Covid-19 press conference.

“This would be a success not by us, the government, [but] a success by Mexican society for having stayed at home, out of public spaces,” he added.

López-Gatell said that “there is not a pre-established goal” that the government is aiming to achieve in terms of reducing the number of Covid-19 cases detected on a daily basis but stressed that any decline would be welcome.

“The ideal would be zero but we know that is impossible. Any gain in which the speed [of infection] is reduced is a success, a triumph of the community mitigation measures” he said.

In this case, the measures started on March 23 with the closure of schools; the closure of schools means the suspension of circulation in the public space of around 15 million people,” the deputy minister said.

If the number of Covid-19 cases reported daily doesn’t begin to decline, the government will have to consider even stricter measures to limit people’s movement, López-Gatell said, explaining that such a move would have an even greater impact on  the economy.

Since the Sana Distancia, or Healthy Distance, scheme started at the beginning of last week, the government has already implemented stricter measures to contain the spread of Covid-19, declaring a health emergency on Monday that stipulated the suspension of non-essential activities until April 30, prohibited events seeking to gather more than 50 people and urged citizens to stay at home as much as possible.

The declaration came the same day as the number of confirmed cases in Mexico passed 1,000.

In the two weeks after the first two cases of Covid-19 were reported on February 27, only a very small number of additional cases were detected. However, the number of confirmed cases of the disease began to increase more quickly from March 13 and surged over the past week.

On Tuesday last week – the day the government said that Mexico had entered a phase of local transmission – health authorities reported that there were 405 confirmed coronavirus cases and five deaths.

Authorities reported last night that the number of confirmed cases had increased to 1,215, a 200% increase in the space of a week.

In addition to reporting 121 new confirmed Covid-19 infections, Health Ministry Director of Epidemiology José Luis Alomía announced that the coronavirus death toll had increased by one from a day earlier to 29.

He also said that there are 3,511 suspected Covid-19 cases – an increase of 759 compared to Monday – and that 6,282 people had tested negative for the disease. A total of 11,008 people have been tested, Alomía said.

Mexico City continues to have the highest number of confirmed cases in the country, with 234, followed by México state, Jalisco, Puebla, Nuevo León and Yucatán, where there are 149, 94, 81, 76 and 49 cases, respectively.

In per capita terms, Quintana Roo, where there are 47 confirmed cases of Covid-19, is the worst affected state in Mexico with a rate of 2.73 infected persons per 100,000 inhabitants.

Among the more than 1,000 people now confirmed to have been infected are 39 Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) healthcare workers and 21 other medical personnel employed at the Monclova General Hospital in Coahuila.

Three of the IMSS workers – two in Mexico City and one in Zacatecas – have died, the newspaper La Jornada reported, adding that it has not been proven that any of the 39 IMSS employees were infected with Covid-19 while at work.

With regard to the 29 coronavirus-related deaths, Alomía said that the most prevalent comorbidities have been hypertension, obesity and diabetes. All but three of the Covid-19 patients to have died have been men.

Source: La Jornada (sp), Reforma (sp)

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Ricky Churches
I think they're going to war with Venezuela.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Chubby214
Los que tienen acceso a túneles ya chingaron, los que usan el río también.  los que dependen de mulas se los van a comer vivos.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro I agree, this guy is straight up making up shit so the government doesn’t look bad.  The entire country has only taken less than 8,000 test.  That’s it, less than 8,000 tested in the entire country?!?!?

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
Mica, my in-laws are from Mexico and they had nothing but the best things to say about AMLO.  He was for the people, he was about distributing wealth to the needy, to get to the bottom of the 43, a decrease in crime inside a month of being voted in, etc.  I wish they would have been right, but AMLO is ineffective, incompetent and perhaps corrupt, who knows.  Anyway, many cars showed up last night in Poinciana, Florida filling up a hospital parking lot.  From a video above the roof, all the cars had their flashing lights on to support the medical staff and doctors dedicating their lives in dealing with this virus.  We work for the healthcare industry, and have witnessed many more cases since just last Thursday.  I believe Trump was not lying when said we have 2 tough weeks ahead of us.  The death rate is running 2.2% earlier, in the USA.  When the gov't stated the death toll would probably be 150,000 people, the caseload will increase exponentially.  Thank god, we have these brave people on the front lines.  I continue to work at the office, because I cannot justify my job or my pay, is anything more important than these people.  But everyone else . . . it's your choice, but you live by the law of disinfectant, gloves, washing hands, staying 6' apart, eye protection, masks, etc.  You break a rule, you go home.  Now, [HOW NOT TO RESPOND TO AN INFECTED PERSON, WHILE YOU HAVE NO SOCIAL DISTANCING].

Residents of Axochiapan, Morelos, protested outside a hospital in the city to demand that the facility not accept any patients infected with Covid-19, threatening to burn the building down if it did.

Around 150 citizens gathered outside the Dr. Ángel Ventura Neri hospital, protesting on the grounds that they believe the hospital is underprepared to handle even its normal daily caseload, let alone an outbreak of Covid-19.

“Here the only thing that interests us is that the hospital knows plainly that we don’t want them to bring anybody [with Covid-19], and if they’re going to ruin everything then yes, we’re going to have problems,” said one man.

“We’ll burn [the hospital] down. If they don’t have the capacity to attend to the few who are already here, … do you think that they’re going to be able to deal with a crisis? It’s laughable,” said a woman in the crowd.

Another protester suggested they make Molotov cocktails to throw into the hospital and force the medical staff to evacuate.

“Why would we want a fucking hospital full of sick people? … The doctors already said they don’t have the capacity to treat these people, and we are being responsible by saying that if someone [with Covid-19] comes, we’re going to act,” said another.

The Morelos Health Ministry reported on Tuesday evening that there were seven confirmed cases of Covid-19 and one death from the disease in the state. Health officials there ruled out 72 other patients and still had 31 suspicious cases they were investigating.

State Health Minister Marco Antonio Cantú Cuevas said that the newest case in Morelos is a 37-year-old male from the southwestern part of the state who recently traveled to the United States.

Cantú urged citizens to respect people’s right to confidentiality and not to spread rumors or fake news that could alarm others.

Their response may border on panic, but the citizens of Axochiapan aren’t the only ones worried about their hospital’s capacity to confront the virus.

Hospital staff in nine México state municipalities protested on Monday to demand supplies to treat patients infected with Covid-19 and protect themselves from the deadly respiratory disease.

Source: El Universal (sp)

[A WEEK AWAY FROM PEAKING IN MEXICO, THE PEOPLE KNOW BETTER]

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Mosco
This post was updated on .
<quote author="Parro">
Mica, my in-laws are from Mexico and they had nothing but the best things to say about AMLO.  ... ..  Thank god, we have these brave people on the front lines.  I continue to work at the office, because I cannot justify my job or my pay, is anything more important than these people.  But everyone else . . . it's your choice, but you live by the law of disinfectant, gloves, washing hands, staying 6' apart, eye protection, masks, etc.  You break a rule, you go home.  Now, [HOW NOT TO RESPOND TO AN INFECTED PERSON, WHILE YOU HAVE NO SOCIAL DISTANCING].

Residents of Axochiapan, Morelos, protested outside a hospital in the city to demand that the facility not accept any patients infected with Covid-19, threatening to burn the building down if it did.

Around 150 citizens gathered outside the Dr. Ángel Ventura Neri hospital, protesting ... ..l burn [the hospital] down. If they don’t have the capacity to attend to the few who are already here, … do you think that they’re going to be able to deal with a crisis? It’s laughable,” said a woman in the crowd.

[...]

@Parro:
Some thoughts and opinions from where I am hunkered down.

1. That news report  , above,  is most alarming.  People massing and makING threats to throw Molotov Coctails at a hospital is the kind of thing that can grow into mass hysteria ...that can in turns spark uncontrollable (chain reaction like) riots to other places.  History in times past hundreds of years, worldwide support my claim.

2. IMO, Mexico has too many superstious (religiosity) , under-educated,  poor people who do not trust government and other key institutions.  Collectively these factors combine to produce irrational and self destructive behaviors.  For, example,  I still vividly recall the broken gasoline line and masses of people with jugs and pots, wallowing in the gas fumes and liquid gasoline like children under a burst pinata.  Then, boom!   I have stored some videos wherof I speak.

3. Culture of violence:  Generations of being steeped in violence both as actors and victims, Mexicans are conditioned to "enjoy"  violence and be violent themselves if provoked in certain circumstances.  (By "enjoy", I am alluding mostly to vicariously enjoying acts of violence in song, movies, boxing, bull, cock and dog fighting, etc.)

So, because of the above items, I am very worried that Mexico might literally " blow up" in hysterical mob (unthinking) behaviors in many places. (( I say this because, I have witnessed ghetto Black Americans riot in the USA when I lived in Souther Califas.    Then, post riot years, Black became emboldened and kicked things up a notch by glorifying violence, and "nastyness" in song, dress, speech, and gang culture. ))

Finally, it feels like if Mexico does not act fast to quell the masses that it could easily spin out of control. By "quell" I mean by credible leaders...not military  actions.

Parro, mi amigo, stay safe and thanks for keeping us informed.
MOSCO O

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
MOSCO, here is where I'm at.  As long as we have people on the front line, I'm on the front line.  I will not hunker down, deny science and sway the argument.  Today, I ran the calculations.  2.44% mortality rate with 52,973 dead out of 1,014,673 cases.  This is a mortality rate worldwide, is 5.2%.  USA is different.

In the US we have 5,911 deaths and 244,678 cases.  This is a mortality rate of 2.4%.  If Fauci and Trump, state that we are looking at 200,000 as the mortality rate, then 5,911/200,000 = a 2.3% mortality rate.  Dividing 200,000/5,911 = a scaling rate of 33.84 times.  So 5,911 x 33.84 = 200,028 mortality rate.  Taking 244,678 cases and multiplying by 33.85 = 8,282,350 total cases in order to have a projected 200,000 mortality rate.

What does this mean for you and I.  Number one, senior citizens, who have social security, medicare, stay home. If you go to the stores, freeze what you don't need to limit the return to the same.

 Number 2, say you are in a company of 100 employees.  100 employees/360,000,000 citizens of the USA = .000028 of the population.  Scaling up .000028 by 33.84, your risk of infection is 0.00095 %.  Multiplying this by the mortality rate, you have 0.00095 * .244 = .02318%.  This is .095% of dying.  Of course this based on what is given, but I believe the USA is the most transparent society there is.  Italy, was rumored to have fudged their numbers, due to the need for tourists to Rome, Florence, Milan, etc., so it's questionable if this is a good model for us anymore, meanwhile France is hemmoraging.  I believe the same holds true for Mexico.  Witness the 28 students of the University of Texas who tested positive for Covid-19 after chartering a plane to Mexico for spring break.  This leads us to the present.

Whose job is most important, the person stacking brick or the project manager who remotes in?  I believe no job is more important than the other, and I believe that no paycheck is better than the other.  The person who sacrifices the most, allows the others to continue on.

MEXICO TODAY, WHOM OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT SHARE MY PHILOSOPHY:

California has recorded over 10,000 cases but Baja California just 37

Published on Thursday, April 2, 2020

The federal government’s coronavirus case numbers – 1,378 confirmed cases as of Wednesday – are not credible, according to two epidemiological experts who spoke with the newspaper El Financiero.

Alheli Calderón, a medical researcher at the College of the Northern Border, said that it is not plausible that Mexico’s northern border states have so many fewer cases of Covid-19 than the states they adjoin in the U.S.

California, for example, had around 10,000 confirmed cases as of Thursday morning but Baja California had just 37. Arizona had more than 1,400 cases whereas Sonora only had 18, while Texas and New Mexico had more than 4,500 confirmed cases between them as of Thursday morning but the four Mexican states they border – Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo León and Tamaulipas – only had a combined total of 155 cases.

“The Covid-19 infection figures in Mexico are not reliable. I would trust the [number of] deaths more, it’s a more accurate number,” Calderón said.

“We shouldn’t pay too much attention to the number of confirmed cases because the Health Ministry has said that it only has 9,100 tests scheduled [almost 12,300 tests have now been performed] in the first stage,” she said, adding that more than half a million Covid-19 tests have been carried out in the United States.

Calderón also pointed out that the number of tests completed in Mexico is much lower than countries such as South Korea, Italy and the United Kingdom.

Malaquías López, an epidemiologist and professor of medicine at the National Autonomous University, agreed that the government’s Covid-19 case numbers are not a reliable indication of the presence of the disease in Mexico. He claimed that health authorities are only allowing people with severe symptoms of Covid-19 to get tested for the disease.

“There is a deliberate concealment of cases,” López said, adding that the only accurate number that will be known in Mexico at the end of the Covid-19 pandemic is that for coronavirus-related deaths.

[MY THOUGHTS;  MEXICO IS SUPPRESSING THE NEWS, LYING ABOUT THE PEAK NEXT WEEK, ETC.  THIS IS ONLY FOR POLITICAL REASONS AND NOT BASED ON THE TRUTH.  MEXICO NEEDS TOURISTS TO CANCUN, RIVERA, BAJA, ETC. .  THEY ARE MAKING UP THEIR OWN STORY. MEXICO IS TOO SMART FOR THIS HOUSE OF MIRRORS.  MY WISH, ONLY TO THE SAFE BEING OF MAN, AND THE MEXICAN NEIGHBORS ESPECIALLY.  RESIST DISINFORMATION BASED ON GOV'T, ONLY THEN WILL YOU FIND THE TRUTH.]  Dramatic, but hopefully I'm not right.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Ricky Churches
I live in Juarez and there are definitely more cases than are being reported. I recently aske my landlord to this warehouse I rent how bad the situation is, he works at a hospital. He said there are more cases than those that are being reported. Not just that, not everyone is getting tested, just those that fit the criteria. There are people dying, they're saying it's pneumonia but since they didn't get tested they definitely don't count as covid-19 deaths. Test have to be sent to Mexico City and there are not many tests to being with.

We kinda mirror a lot of what El Paso is doing in prevention. AMLO's opinion doesn't really matter. If course there are plenty of people that still go out. El Paso has 18 new cases today. They stopped releasing Ft Bliss numbers per the pentagon, they had 7ba few days ago. Citizens and residents are still allowed to cross. The numbers being released definitely don't make sence and I don't belive them.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
Ricky Churches, I used to live outside Juarez.

You can see by the maps, that the border separates the truth in reporting and not so much

Tests are still not available in the USA if you don't have conspicuous symptoms.  Ft. Bliss, doubt they are going to Juarez much lately, Boy's Town, steak, etc.  Don't believe the numbers, hunker down for a month and will learn another mode of survival

To hell with China and Russia!  It's ironic that we depend on the perpetrators for our relief.  Hopefully we all learn the intent of the guilty.  Best wishes to you and your safety. No war with Mexico and Venezuala.  We are all against the false voices or those leaders.  Out into the cool of evening, strolls the pretender, who know that the hope and power of the vendor . . . Anyway, I digress.

I have found a girl who has found what meaning is, get it up again.

I'm a happy idiot.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Since Parro you crunched a bunch
of #’s I’m having thoughts after reading this article and I'm not much into conspiracy theories.It's food for thought.This author says that since more and more people show no symptoms of the virus but actually have it well those people aren’t getting tested.The 1’s that die well of course they are tested.So in other words there are so many people infected ( we don’t know just exactly how many) that it could quite conceivably move the death rate to much less than 1% if that makes sense and the more I think about the more I think that this is more likely.I'm not saying throw caution to the winds and we should be still self- isolating ,after all we don't know all that are infected.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/stanford_coronavirus_too_high_death

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
Canadiana,  I believe there are many more people who have Coronavirus who probably attribute it to seasonal allergies, colds, etc. and a lot are probably spot on.  Asymptomatic people, who do have the outward symptoms, coughing, fever, achy joints, etc.  They can spread the disease but are less likely to contaminate people.  The problem is testing.

If you cannot test for the entire populace, you are only testing those with the most noticeable symptoms.  We tried to all test, and were all denied, because did not have symptoms, but wanted to reassure others, and ourselves, that we were not carriers, in order to continue working with each other.  Supposedly these quick tests are coming, so the virus can be further isolated.

When thinking about the percentages of mortality rates among the infected, you must think of China.  They have sorely under-reported cases and deaths.  You don't ship thousand's of urns to different mortuaries and fill those orders again, with noting this is all a cover-up to cases/deaths.  Hard to get the statistics right, but Italy at 8 - 9%, the most transparent country for the western world to watch.  Fingers-crossed they are turning the corner.

Mexico is under-reporting, Venezuela, Bolivia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Gaza, Russia, India and others, have their reasons for this deception, all political.  UK, Scandanavia, Canada, US, African continent, Spain, France, Germany, etc. are more truthful with the scientific aspect.  Our models continue to project July-August as the point where everything becomes somewhat normalized.  But Dr. Fauci is expecting a 2nd wave in the fall.

There is some good news though, that innovation is coming up with vaccines that can be fast-tracked!  Many medicines are being researched 24/7, and clinical trials are being shortened for those approvals!

All such a shame, due to wet markets!.  China, Asian, Latin, etc. nations where these markets exist, need to immediately shut down. The silence is deafening coming out of China on this subject.  It is the China Virus!

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro

Mexico’s homicide rate raced to a new record in March, as violence raged even as Covid-19 spread across the country and authorities urged the population to stay home and practise social distancing.

Mexico registered 2,585 homicides in March – the highest monthly figure since records began in 1997 – putting 2020 on track to break last year’s record total for murders.

The surge in killings comes as federal and state officials put resources into containing the Covid-19 crisis and confront the prospect of an already sluggish economy falling even further – potentially deepening the misery for the more than 40% of the population living in poverty.
“It’s business as usual [for drug cartels] with a risk of further escalation, especially if at some point the armed forces are called away for pandemic control,” said Falko Ernst, senior Mexico analyst at the International Crisis Group.

Violence has flared throughout the country, but it has been especially intense in the central state of Guanajuato, where criminal groups have battled over lucrative territories rife with theft from pipelines.

The bloodshed has hit shocking levels in the city of Ceyala – home to a major automotive manufacturing plant – with gunmen engaging security forces in shootouts, blockading streets and torching businesses.

Francisco Rivas, director of the National Citizen Observatory, which monitors security issues, attributed the increasing violence in Guanajuato to the fallout of the federal government trying to stamp out petrol theft.

The crackdown weakened the local Santa Rosa de Lima cartel, Rivas said, prompting the rival Jalisco New Generation cartel (CJNG) to move in and attempt to take its territory.

Other causes for rising violence, Rivas said, include growing pains with a new militarised police known as the national guard, the lack of a federal strategy and cutting the security budget to its lowest level in 20 years.

“We’re seeing violence hitting its peak and we’re left asking, ‘who’s going to stop it?’” Rivas said.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said on Friday that a drop in violence had been expected towards the end of March when coronavirus cases had started increasing in Mexico, “but it didn’t turn out like that.”

López Obrador came to power promising to solve Mexico’s security woes by tacking what he considered the root causes of crime: poverty and corruption. But the strategy has so far failed to rein in the violence.

“The [anti-crime] strategy isn’t a strategy,” said Rivas. “The national guard isn’t pulling its weight because building an institution is difficult and expensive. Budget cuts to public security have been brutal. These all have serious effects.”
The president stirred further outrage during a visit to Sinaloa state on Sunday, when he stopped to greet the mother of convicted cartel kingpin Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán – breaking with social-distancing protocols to shake her hand.

López Obrador downplayed the greeting as little more than a courtesy to a mother who hadn’t seen her son in five years, but his comments prompted outrage from families of victims of violence, who say he has failed to extend the same courtesy to them.

“For society and victims, who have been having a hard time meeting or being listened to by the president,” Ernst said, “it’s a heavy slap in the face.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/mexico-murder-rate-homicide-coronavirus-covid-19

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
AMLO  is not right.  Not distancing himself and saying we are stronger and more disciplined people. . . Shame on him and his followers.  The worst example of what you should do, with plenty of warning.

Now Mexicanos' scramble for health supplies and shut down roads into their villages, to prevent the infection.  AMLO threatens imprisonment to businesses for not paying employees, while he gives every reason to not pay employees.  He's upside down.  Not even a poor capitalist, but a sorrowful socialist.

Mexico, get wise, you deserve better, just like us, USA citizens. The lies, deflections, incriminations are just too much.  Enough of this bullshit.

We have outgrown our presence on this globe.  We obfuscate and obliterate the truth, there are too many for this tiny earth.  7 billion vs. 2 billion that actually can live in a neutral environment, because of nationalism and power.  I would never expect anyone to agree with me, but were we not better than to let Coronavirus run it's course?  You couldn't be like Sweden who let's it run it's course but someone who protects the vulnerable and accepts the consequences otherwise.

There were people who called for my head a month and a half ago, and now I sit here wondering, where this will all end.  Only a vaccine can deliver fans to a sports match, a great restaurant, a premier movie, an Uber ride, a stay in a hotel where one wants to visit, a bar, a musical venue, etc.  Until then?  . . People will be wary and not willing.

Hurry up the vaccine and the telling antibody.  Forget Trump, no testing and back to normal.  Won't happen without reassurance.  AMLO you don't even know. We all rely on an economy and money, an imagination that has to be assured for all of us.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
https://www.wsav.com/border-report-tour/cbp-gets-upper-hand-on-cartels-as-traffic-dips-at-ports-of-entry-amid-covid-19-restrictions/

[FROM EL PASO]

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) — Sitting on a large stockpile of synthetic product, the Mexican drug cartels have no shortage of narcotics to send to the United States.

But international travel restrictions to reduce the spread of COVID-19 have greatly reduced traffic at ports of entry. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers who previously could perform comprehensive inspections only on a fraction of vehicles now have more time to look for drugs.

This is leading to large seizures and forcing drug trafficking organizations to revert to old tactics — like sending drug mules across the desert or have them swim past the Rio Grande
, law-enforcement experts say.

“They’re still getting narcotics at the ports of entry, but what’s interesting is that Border Patrol is seeing more seizures between ports in some places where they had a downward slide for the past several years,” said Victor M. Manjarrez, a former U.S. Border Patrol chief in Tucson and El Paso.

Amid the health crisis, it’s no longer easy for the cartels to hide their shipments “in plain sight” playing the odds that their vehicles will get past CBP based on the sheer volume of passenger and commercial traffic at the border, said Manjarrez, who is associate director of the Center for Law and Human Behavior at the University of Texas at El Paso.

According to the most recent CBP report, marijuana seizures nearly tripled at ports of entry in March compared to February, but agents came across fewer amounts of cocaine and hard drugs — heroin, meth and fentanyl.

Last week, for instance, CBP officers at the World Trade Bridge in Laredo, Texas seized 576 packages containing 3,259 pounds of marijuana from a truck hauling roofing tile from Mexico. The drug was worth an estimated $650,000.

End of Part 1

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
PART 2, [SORRY NABBLE CAPACITY]

Cartels jack up street prices, turn to other crimes amid pandemic

You would think the stay-at-home orders on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border would mean less crime. However, in Mexican border cities that hasn’t been the case. Juarez recorded 160 murders in March and has had 60 so far in April. A lot of that crime is drug-related.

“I’ve read that Chihuahua officials say there’s anywhere between 60,000 and 100,000 addicts in Juarez. You can’t simply quit an addiction; they’re not going to stay put just because there’s a stay-at-home order. It hasn’t had much of an impact in certain population,” Manjarrez said.

Murder, drug activity rage in border city despite social distancing rules

Despite reports about certain drug cartels having lost access to precursor chemicals from China needed in the manufacture of meth and fentanyl, intelligence analysts said most drug trafficking organizations have managed to obtain cheaper, alternative ingredients. They might be telling their clients that there’s a shortage in order to “jack up” prices, but the reality is that they’ve stockpiled a lot of product they didn’t want to sell before, when supply started to exceed demand, U.S. intelligence analysts say.

“Basically, everyone was producing meth so the market is kind of flooded. A lot of organizations are just sitting on stockpiles they haven’t moved yet,” said Scott Stewart, vice president of strategic planning for Stratfor, an Austin-based geopolitical security group. “Some of the seizures we’ve seen over the past couple of weeks have been huge. We aren’t seeing any reduction in the flow of meth or other drugs.”

On March 30, a CBP officer referred a suspicious vehicle for secondary inspection at the Gateway to the Americas Bridge in Laredo. A canine officer alerted agents and a non-intrusive device inspection confirmed the presence of drugs, in this case, 115.39 pounds of meth and 2.43 pounds of heroin worth a combined value of $2.4 million.

In order to hedge their bets, the drug cartels for years have been involved in other criminal activities: from extortion and kidnapping to fuel and cargo thefts, Stewart said. Those activities haven’t stopped during the pandemic, either.

There is, however, one scenario in which COVID-19 could make the cartels implode. “They already lose a lot of bodies in their (regional) firefights. They can replace cannon fodder, but if you have figure like Mayo Zambada (the leader of the Sinaloa cartel) who were to die as a result of the coronavirus, things could prove very disruptive,” Stewart said.

The sudden loss of the Sinaloa or the Jalisco cartel leaders would cause cartel infighting not seen since the capture and extradition of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, Stewart said.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Ricky Churches
Parro, this is in reply to your previous post where you are absolutely sure it originated in wet markets, I have been meaning to reply to this post for a while but the source I had was not "mainstream" but now FOX is reporting it...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-wuhan-lab-china-compete-us-sources

This is where I first read it. It's a great read!

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-china-trail-leading-back-to-wuhan-labs/

I think blaming wet markets is just to easy of thing to do when there is no one that is 100% sure that's how it happened. I think the government went to a great deal to hide it and had no problem with the world thinking, oh they eat bats! Rather than admit the government fucked up.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
Ricky,

Had read this and had known the "bat woman" had disappeared along web pages describing patient zero.  Whether from a lab, or a wet market, the transfer happened from animal to man.  Now that virus is mutating to survive as we do.  People from Wuhan, who's friends I have talked with,  deny anything the gov't of China has put out.  It was and is much worse than their constrained news would ever allow.

Now China states it is confused how it got so out of hand, when they maintained such a tight grip on it.  Now their plants send face masks, etc. to everyone for a profit.  They take up the WHO financing, forsaken by the US government.  Their propaganda, just as many, show's them as the savior.

It is the China Virus, just as SAR's.  I can say that wet markets for the most part are essential for most of the world's populace, but not the trafficking and butchering of exotic animals, that no no non-Asian is used to, but for vegetables, poultry and common meat byproducts at a lessened price.

This medieval practice must be stopped now by the world, since the Communists can't control it, to their denial.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro

So far, 82 people have tested positive for the new coronavirus in the city that lies across the border from El Paso, Texas, local authorities said on Thursday. A total of 19 have died, the city health department said.

Several workers for Lear Corporation, a Michigan-based car seat maker, have died from respiratory illnesses, the company said in a statement to Reuters.

Honeywell International Inc on Thursday told Reuters a worker at one of its plants in the city had died after being sent home to self-quarantine and receive medical attention.

The deaths and the protests about ongoing production at border factories follow outbreaks of the virus at meat-packing plants in the United States that have raised concerns over working conditions during the epidemic.

Lockdowns that aim to stop the spread of the coronavirus are disrupting supply chains in the $1.2 trillion North America Free Trade Agreement region, with growing friction between governments and companies about which industries should continue to operate.

On Thursday, dozens protested outside the Honeywell site where the employee who died had worked, demanding its temporary closure, following similar rallies outside other U.S. and Mexican plants in the city.

“We want them to respect the quarantine,” said Mario Cesar Gonzalez, who said the Honeywell Ademco factory made smoke alarms.

“The manager said that we are essential workers. I don’t think an alarm is essential.”

Honeywell said the factory makes controls for heating, ventilation and air conditioning for critical infrastructures such as hospitals and laboratories.

In a statement to Reuters the company said it was “deeply saddened” to learn that one of its workers had died.

Honeywelll said authorities had not confirmed if the employee died from COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, but that it had closed the site, which the employee had worked at, for 48 hours to sanitize the area.
The company did not say when the death happened but said the worker had not been on site since April 2.

Lear said it had ceased all employee-related activities by April 1 in Ciudad Juarez.

“We are saddened that several employees at our Juarez City operations, who were receiving medical treatment at the same local government social security hospital in Juarez, have passed away, due to complications of respiratory illness,” the company said in the statement.

The Lear shutdown appeared to be in line with the Mexican government’s declaration of a health emergency on March 30, requiring companies to cease operations if their activities are deemed non-essential.

On Wednesday, dozens of other workers protested outside an assembly factory run by Regal Beloir, a Wisconsin-based manufacturer that produces electric motors for household appliances. They demanded the closure of that plant after the alleged death of one of their coworkers.

“A colleague already died last night. He had been working here. There are infected workers and we are not being told,” said one person who identified himself as a Regal employee at the protest but declined to give his name for fear of retribution.

Reuters was not able to confirm a death of a Regal worker. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Mexican government is investigating whether some “non-essential” companies continue to operate. Refusing to follow the rules could constitute the crime of damage to health and could cost lives, Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell said on Wednesday.

From April 3 until Tuesday, 15% of companies with non-essential activities had refused to stop work, Lopez-Gatell said.

Reporting by Jose Luis Gonzalez in Ciudad Juarez; Additional reporting by Daina Beth Solomon in Mexico City; Editing by Frank Jack Daniel and Aurora Ellis
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

1234