Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
There are many posts around this issue, and I hope we can consolidate these.  But this the main concern I believe, no other than Mexico, a wonderful country and people.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/110-new-virus-cases-in-1-day/?nab=0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fmexiconewsdaily.com%2F

110 new virus cases in 1 day as community transmission advances
The death toll from the disease almost doubled from 6 to 11 on Thursday

Published on Friday, March 27, 2020
For the first time, Mexico has reported more than 100 new Covid-19 cases on a single day while the death toll from the disease almost doubled from six to 11 on Thursday.

Health Ministry epidemiology official Ana Lucía de la Garza told a press conference Thursday night that there were 110 new confirmed coronavirus cases, taking the total across the country to 585.

She said that 398 people confirmed to have Covid-19 recently traveled abroad and 151 had direct contact with someone who did. The other 36 cases are unrelated to overseas travel, de la Garza said, explaining that the number is evidence of accelerating community transmission of Covid-19.

Almost two-thirds of the total number of community transmission cases were detected on Thursday.

De la Garza also reported that there are 2,156 suspected cases of Covid-19 and that 2,965 people had tested negative for the disease.

She said that the coronavirus death toll had increased to eight from six after the deaths of a 55-year-old man with hypertension in Jalisco and a 57-year-old man with hypertension and diabetes in San Luis Potosí.

However, the Health Ministry data didn’t include three deaths that were reported on Thursday after the 1:00 p.m. cutoff for the preparation of its daily report.

Health authorities in Quintana Roo, México state and Michoacán reported one Covid-19 death each on Thursday afternoon.

A 74-year-old man with hypertension, diabetes and a history of smoking died in Quintana Roo, a 42-year-old man who suffered from obesity passed away in México state and an elderly man succumbed to Covid-19 in Michoacán.

All but one of the coronavirus patients who have died in Mexico have been men. The only female fatality was that of a 61-year-old cancer patient who passed away in a Mexico City hospital on Monday.

Mexico is currently in stage 2 of the coronavirus outbreak, according to the federal government, meaning that local transmission of the disease has begun.

Deputy Health Minister Hugo López-Gatell said Thursday that the arrival of stage 3, in which community transmission of Covid-19 is widespread and cases number in the thousands, is inevitable. However, he reiterated that he was confident that Mexico can reduce the number of cases and deaths through the social distancing initiative that formally commenced Monday and is currently scheduled to run through April 19.

López-Gatell said earlier this week that authorities expected a “long epidemic that could extend until September or October” and that its peak will be in August.

Despite that prediction, President López Obrador told reporters at his regular news conference on Thursday that the worst of the coronavirus outbreak would be over by April 19, seemingly assuming that the scheduled end of the social distancing initiative would coincide with a reduction in the threat of transmission of Covid-19.

In fact, it is likely that Mexico will need to impose even stricter restrictions to limit the spread of Covid-19. Cristian Morales, Mexico representative for the World Health Organization, said this week that it’s “probable” that the government will have to implement a curfew and/or order a home quarantine to slow down the coronavirus spread.

While the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases increased sharply on Thursday, López Obrdaor said Friday morning that the situation is under control, asserting that “there is no overrun of coronavirus.”

The president, who came under fire earlier this month for continuing to hug and kiss his supporters despite his government’s advice to avoid physical contact, ruled out any possibility that he would go into isolation to avoid possible infection with Covid-19.

“I can’t put myself into quarantine, I can’t isolate myself. … I have to be attentive [to the situation] and I have to continue my work – I’m dedicating a lot of time to all the actions related to coronavirus,” he said.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Mica
I have been following this with an NPR podcast from February that detailed from the first 100 infected in China.  Every country that gets it goes the same way.  It starts off slow 1,2, 5 and within a 7-10 period, it turns to 10,000 infected.

Mexico had the blueprint from all of the previous countries and just delayed the start of the social distance, close travel, etc...  I am not super religious, but I pray for the people.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Mica - This week will be about has he taken a test and if he misses any daily meeting, speculation will occur.

Valor Tamaulipeco

"IMMINENT INFECTADERO": FELIPE "MASACRES" CALDERON REQUESTS "QUICK TEST" of CORONAVIRUS to the PRESIDENT that "IT COULD ALREADY BE CONTAGIATED" .... after patient contact with a "sick" governor.

After the Governor of Hidalgo, Omar Fayad, stated on social networks that he had been diagnosed with "Coronavirus" and that he was public, he was recently with President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador and part of his cabinet at the usual morning conference, which makes them " suspects ",  the ex-PAN president Felipe Calderon, recognized as the" Lord of the massacres "  did not miss the opportunity and went to the networks to take advantage of the situation to ask that the president take a Covid-19 test and thus leave of doubts.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
Mica - Good God - will be interesting how far this can go on.  There are likely chances that someone important could get the germ and be too old to fend it off.  AMLO is one of those.  Looks like an airport and travel.  It would be funny until you understand the seriousness of this. This is not how a leader leads.  Best world leader so far is Angela Markel in Germany, allowing only 2 people to be together.  Mexico is now closing in on 1,000 cases. Today, predicting 1,000,000 dead world wide.  with 35,000 dead to date, we are only 3.5% into this nightmare.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Mica
Parro or anyone who might know.

What occurs in Mexico if the president is seriously ill or worse?  Who takes over as the leader?  And can you post a profile of that individual, etc...

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Parro
This post was updated on .
The congress appoints an interim president, with elections held 14 months later according to Wikipedia.  Meanwhile the substitute president is the Director of the Interiors, who is currently Olga Sanchez Cordero.  She is first woman to ever hold this position.  The Economist describes her as a "social liberal . . European-style social democrat."  She has announced her intention to propose decriminalization of recreational marijuana.  She also intends to decriminalize abortion throughout the country.

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_Sánchez_Cordero

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Chava
An Arq. in Acapulco has died from the virus.

A notary is also hospitalized (same hospital as Placido)

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Ricky Churches
Not from the most reputable source but Chivis what's your thoughts on this. Especially since your husband is in China and you have access to some information coming out of there

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71529/is-china-hiding-the-real-covid-19-death-toll-21-million-phones-vanish/index.html

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Mica
I read a similar article last week Ricky and it is hard to dismiss the reporting.  There are other reports showing the number of urns surpasses the counts provided.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Thought I would post this link as it's somewhat uplifting and shows light at the end of the tunnel or what might be the new normal after this virus peeks.It's from an American teacher living in China.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/im-out-of-quarantine-but-normal-isnt-normal-in-china-anymore/ar-BB121cUW?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

29 health workers infected in Northern Mexican border state of Coalhuila.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mexico-registers-1-215-coronavirus-021146333.html

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Nutcase

More than two dozen students from the University of Texas who chartered a plane to Mexico for spring break are now infected with the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

The City of Austin, Texas, announced the news on Tuesday, saying of the 70 students who chartered the plane to Cabo San Lucas about a week and a half ago, at least 28 of them have tested positive for COVID-19. Dozens more are under public health investigation. At least four of the confirmed cases were asymptomatic, said officials.

Austin health officials, as well as those with UT Health Austin and University Health Services, have been in contact with every spring breaker who was a part of the group, some of whom took commercial flights back home. The 28ho tested positive are now self-isolating, while “others are under quarantine while being monitored and tested,” according to the news release.

“While Mexico at the time of their travel was not under a federal travel advisory, Austin-Travis County residents should follow CDC’s travel recommendations indicating travelers avoid all non-essential international travel,” officials warned, adding, “A leisure vacation of any kind is not considered essential.”

http://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-infects-dozens-of-university-of-texas-spring-breakers-who-charted-plane-to-mexico
Seeing is believing

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Travel will definitely be an essential service when this virus is all over and then they won't have enough planes etc. with all the pent up demand!The motto will then be 'Get in line and wait your turn.'Even for a simple  haircut.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Mica
WH Corona briefing started off way different.  Subject is assists being moved to hit the Mexican Cartels.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Mica
You know what’s coming.  A big name is about to get captured.  That’s how it works, US. Maximizes pressure and Mexico folds and we back off.

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Re: Mexico - Coronavirus

Nutcase
April fools!!