Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

Note:I think this article is a little media hype as no visa has to be issued anymore of course it's going to increase but some people are getting a little panicked as lots of foreigners are coming via the US.Of course record numbers here are no where near the US numbers...canadiana

Exclusive: Canadian border authorities detaining record number of Mexicans

Reuters

By Anna Mehler Paperny

3 hrs ago

Canada's border authorities detained more Mexicans in the first 67 days of 2017 than they did annually in any of the three previous years, according to statistics obtained by Reuters.

The spike comes immediately after Canada's federal government lifted its visa requirement for Mexican citizens in December.

Many Mexicans looking north have shifted their focus from the United States to Canada as President Donald Trump vows to crack down on America's undocumented immigrants, about half of whom are Mexican. On Friday, Reuters reported, immigration judges were reassigned to 12 U.S. cities to speed up deportation.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) said it detained 444 Mexican nationals between Jan. 1 and March 8, compared with 410 for all of 2016, 351 for 2015, and 399 for 2014.

The CBSA can detain foreign nationals if it is believed they pose a danger to the public, if their identity is unclear or if they are deemed unlikely to appear for removal or for a proceeding.

The number of Mexicans turned back at the airport has risen, too - to 313 in January, more than any January since 2012 and more than the annual totals for 2012, 2013 and 2014.

With the visa requirement lifted, all that Mexicans need to come to Canada is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), obtainable online in a matter of minutes. But they cannot work without a work permit, and the eTA does not guarantee entry.

Canada issued 72,450 travel authorizations to Mexican citizens between Dec. 1, 2016, and March 10, 2017 - a significant increase compared with a similar period when visas were required.

Canada's Immigration and Refugee Minister Ahmed Hussen has said his department is monitoring the situation. His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday afternoon.

(Reporting by Anna Mehler Paperny; Editing by Leslie Adler

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

Siskiyou_Kid
I've never visited Canada, except as an infant when my parents were detained in Ontario. Because of all the horror stories about their border officials, and my father's deportation, I'm a little hesitant even though there are places I want to visit.

A friend going to a trade show in Vancouver on business was recently handcuffed and detained and questioned by border patrol detectives driving in at Douglas, even though he has never been convicted of a crime and was truthful in his verbal declaration. They questioned him for hours about the contents of an FBI file, which includes events where I was the target. Canadian border and immigration have unfettered access to all FBI databases.

My parents were actually detained by RCMP officers in an area where the border was unmarked. They scared the hell out of my mother by threatening to have me placed in the custody of child welfare. Immigration was summoned to pick us up, and they deported my father because he wouldn't give a statement,  while my mother and I left with him with the right to return.

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

Canadians go through it too entering the US and I believe US also has files on Canadians too.Your case is kind of extreme though not the norm.I was stripsearched in a Texas airport once coming back from Mexico solo.I don't have any problems with Canada border but I'm from here but in '92 when I flew a single engine airplane down Baja and back with 2 of my fellow pilots,customs in Calgary took the gas caps off the wings and checked including every piece of clothing and in a private plane they meet you, 3 of them before you shut down the propeller on the tarmac.I think now all the borders are tightening up and maybe that's a message to the Mexicans that 'want to do business.'

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

Another time in '84 I was going to Rosarito Beach for weekend with 2 twin sisters in their hot Camaro.We got stopped by US customs in San Ysidro and the trunk searched.In it was a purse with a bag of pot that another girlfriend had left in their car who wasn't even with us from the weekend before.Since it was less than a certain amount we were all going to get a $75 fine each.They were about to strip search us all when phones started ringing and there was all this flurry of activity with the border guards.They very abruptly let us go,no fines nothing. Afte r we were looking for a fast food joint and toyed with the idea of McDonald's which we didn't go to.We found out later on the news that the McDonald's massacre was going on at that time at McDonald's in San Ysidro where the gunman killed 21 people.I think it was 1 of those 1st mass shootings in public places.That's why we were let go so fast at the border while we were  being detained!

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

Siskiyou_Kid
Your experience missing the San Ysidro massacre is strange.

In entering the US dozens of times as an adult returning from over a dozen countries, I've never been searched or questioned by customs. I'm always quiet, confident, and respectful in security situations, unless the roles are reversed.

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

I am always respectful and quiet too but I think in the Texas stripsearch I was targeted,a woman alone in her 20's flying to Mexico.The small plane I can understand.It was a private flight coming from Mexico to Canada with 2 males,1 female which isn't mainstream also.The San Ysidro was 2 female 18 year olds in a flashy late model car which 1 of them owned[granpa inheritance].Any other time I have travelled especially with a child on the back of my motorcycle no problems except the odd military check in Mexico and for 1 in Sonora I got frisked by a male with my clothes on in the front seat of his pickup[nothing was inappropriate there] but usually it's just ID,passport,Mexican tourist visa and they may unzipper a duffel bag and just check the top layer,nothing extensive.

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

Siskiyou_Kid
I appreciate the convenience of being able to bypass many domestic security checkpoints or cross the border with minimal hassle, but on the downside nobody has ever offered to sell me drugs.

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

I also read in another article yesterday that of the Mexicans that claim refugee status in Canada 11% get accepted.

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

Mexico-Watcher
canadiana wrote
I also read in another article yesterday that of the Mexicans that claim refugee status in Canada 11% get accepted.
Huuum....Canadiana no need to answer.
I am just musing: One out of ten applicants are accepted equals nine out of ten rejected?   I wonder what criteria Canada uses in their vetting process?  .....Too loose vetting (liberal) and "bad" people slip through.... Too tight (conservative) and deserving people are excluded.

Does Canada process applicants "independently" or does it cooperate with the USA (CIA, DEA, CBP, ICE).... other nations, Interpol, etc.?

Mexico-Watcher

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

I have no idea what their processes are but Mexico is not considered a refugee country like Somalia,Sudan,Syria.For those people over 50% are accepted as refugees.I'm not sure of the exact definition of a refugee,I think it depends on the country but I think it's a country at civil war or if you can prove your life is in danger if returned to your country.Chivis could probably chime in more than me on this1.We know Mexico has a 'drug war' with lots of casualties but no 1 has declared 'war' as being invaded by another country.Canada is currently under a liberal government,Trudeau and I have read that per capita [we only have 35 million people]we accept more refugees than any other country in the world. Interestingly there is 93,000 ILLEGAL Canadians living in US.There is also 500,000 Canadians living in Mexico.

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

The issue of Mexican Cartels being set up in Canada was brought up in Parliament in Ottawa today by the opposition to Trudeau and what he will do about it.

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

I think I recently emailed you with my concerns of our north border....  Getting a visitor visa is too easy.  and a plane round trip is only about 1200 non stop from DF.

US and Canada must work in an alliance to do what is possible...  Canada will become a major drug port for Mx drugs slated for U.S.

please send me any articles you see about what parliament said....thanks!

Re: Mexicans being detained at borders in Canada in record numbers

#'s are out for 1st 2 months of year that more Mexicans claiming refugee status than all last year but no where near the 9,000 a year before when the visas were removed.                                                      http://www.macleans.ca/news/number-of-people-seeking-asylum-in-canada-from-mexico-rises-again/