Mexicans Detained in Costa Rica With Over 700 Kilos of Cocaine

TNL

Mexicans Detained in Costa Rica With Over 700 Kilos of Cocaine

TNL
https://news.co.cr/mexicans-detained-costa-rica-700-kilos-cocaine/68531/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newscostarica+%28Costa+Rica+News%29

Mexicans Detained in Costa Rica With Over 700 Kilos of Cocaine

The Costa Rican Police detained on Sunday night three Mexican men in Guanacaste with 785 kilos of cocaine.

Police officers were in a routine control operation in front of the Daniel Oduber International Airport in Liberia, when they saw two cars turn around, they immediately began the chase, after several minutes one of the cars was abandoned in the entrance to Playa Hermosa, the officers were able to catch two men that were trying to escape through the mountain area.

The two men were Mexican, of last name Castro, one 25 and the other one 33 years-old.

The second car was stopped in Barrio Guardia and it was driven by another Mexican also of last name Castro and 27 years of age, two of the men are brothers.

In the cars the police fund 785 kilograms of cocaine, US$1,600 and 148 thousand colones.

According to information provided by the police, the two brothers entered the country in September 30, while the third suspect came shows the entry in October 14.

The car that was abandoned close to Playa Hermosa is registered under the name of a Guatemalan citizen.

Gustavo Mata, Minister of Security stated, “When it comes to the Mexicans we are inquiring to find out whether they belong to a known Mexican gang, we don’t know for sure yet and we have to wait for the information to be provided by the Mexican authorities. Our suspicion is that they were receiving the cocaine from a specific area in the Pacific coast and they were bringing it in to store it and afterwards probably send it through to another country”.