Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Mica
Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says
Fox News

Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman may face murder charges after several former Mexican police officers accused him of killing six Americans and a DEA agent within a nine-week span in late 1984.

Three former Mexican police officers told the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles they witnessed Guzman carry out the killing spree between late 1984 and early 1985. Jorge Godoy, one of the former cops who is now under witness protection, told WFAA that Guzman took pleasure in killing people.

“He likes to cut the people,” Godoy told the news site.

Four Americans who were Jehovah’s Witnesses — Benjamin Mascarenas, 29; his wife Pat Mascarenas, 27; Dennis Carlson, 32; and his wife Rose Carlson, 36 — were murdered during a missionary trip in Guadalajara, Mexico. Godoy said he was the bodyguard of drug kingpin Ernesto Fonseca at the time and the missionaries made the wrong decision of knocking on a drug lord’s door on Dec. 2, 1984.

He told WFAA he saw the Americans tortured and the women raped. He added that Guzman shot each person and watched their bodies fall into an open grave. Former DEA agent Hector Berrellez also said Guzman was involved in their deaths.

“He shot them with his Uzi 9mm and I have witnesses that were there that saw ‘El Chapo’ kill these four Americans after they had been severely tortured,” Berrellez told WFAA. “The women were even raped. We’re talking about an animal here.”

But the killings didn’t end there, according to Godoy. Two other Americans, John Walker, 35, and Albert Radelat, 33, were the crazed drug lord’s next targets in Jan. 30, 1985. Walker was a Vietnam veteran and two-time Purple Heart recipient in Guadalajara writing a novel at the time. He and Radelat went to La Langosta restaurant to have dinner — in what turned out to be a fatal mistake.

Drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero mistook the two for DEA agents and ordered them in the restaurant.

"[Walker and Radelat] passed by me and I said, ‘Oh my God,’” Godoy recalled.

He said Guzman cut Walker’s throat. He then wrapped them and buried the two people in a nearby park, according to the report.

The last killing involved DEA agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena, who busted the cartel’s marijuana fields and torched 10,000 tons of marijuana that cost them about $5 billion. He and a pilot who took him to the fields were tortured, killed and their bodies dumped on the side of the road.

“Absolutely, he [Guzman] tortured both of them,” Berrellez said. “[Guzman] was seen by two witnesses slap, kick and spit in Camarena’s face. He was involved in physically torturing Camarena.”

Camarena's death sparked one of the biggest manhunts by the U.S. government.

The families of the six Americans told WFAA they want to see “El Chapo” charged with the murders. The drug lord had murder charges dropped before he was extradited to the U.S. The U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles did not comment on the possible charges to WFAA. A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, where Guzman is awaiting trial, also declined to comment.

“El Chapo” pleaded not guilty to drug-related charges including money-laundering, use of firearms and murder conspiracy.

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Interesting.I remember about the J.Witnesses knocking at the drug lords door and being murdered.I didn't know Chapo was involved.I thought it was the Cuban and Caro Quintero that did the torturing and murdering.Chapo must have been fairly young then but it makes sense as it was not long after that the plazas and areas were all divided up but there has been no reference to Chapo being involved in this particular case til now.

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Mica
@Canadiana,
It would not surprise me, but like you I have never heard this until now.

I had a funny thought the other day after the Cosby verdict. What if they get a jury that happens to idolize Chapo?  Anything is possible these days.

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

this is such bullshit.  What is chapo, super villian?  they did the same to Mochomo.      funny we never heard of these killings before from dea.  remember fbi has the kiki torture tapes and chapo has never been mentioned in these killings.  I have not heard of chapo's direct participation...cutting throats etc.

there was a post on a blog called mexico rojo in 2014 about chapo and kiki.  it was picked up by a couple outlets and anabel hernandez, but then it was dropped.  and the post was taken down.

 Berrellez is looking for his 15 min

there have been no charges filed.  and chapo's atty has demanded from the gov to know if charges are pending from these allegations.  I will ask  if there is a timeline for them to answer

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

he was never, mentioned in dea pressers as being involved in any way
in 2014 there was an article from the blog mexicorojo about it. and picked up by anabel hernandez and a few others but went nowhere

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Mexico-Watcher
IMO, it is very important to  verify this Chapo story because "if" true it needs to be included in Chapo's biography.

Chapo is a legitimate historic anti-hero who deserves to be accurately described into the archives and chronicles of Mexico.  Nothing less than the truth should satisfy us.... Our children and grandchildren will thank us.

Borderland Beat's great editors and contributors do a wonderful job of  watching for BS and culling it out as best they can.

 I appreciate BB's editorial efforts that must go on behind the scenes .... but these efforts do have a payoff in that BB is highly respected among researchers and scholars interested in what goes on in Mexico with respects to topics directly and indirectly inked to  illicit drugs.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

the story originated in 2014 and no one including the gov took it seriously, the gov is using it by leaking the old story to dirty the jury pool.

i have a statement from chapo's atty and will be writing a post

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Mica
Dirty the jury pool? That sounds like an attorney.  The originator, WFAA looks to be a little news site in Texas.  I will keep an eye out in the NY media.

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

@Mexico-Watcher how does one verify anything on Chapo?  According to him, he is a poor farmer.

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

you are wrong  originated four years ago in the film the legend of shorty.  then to narco blog, then went away until 3 mexican cops wants money from Mx gob.  you obviojusly only read a cojuple stories and did not research.

if it were true he would have been charged.  and yes the gov leaked the story again to dirty the jury pool, contaminate,  whatever.

We have a saying in my house when someone goofs,  "chapo did it"

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

are you serious?  how do you think he is charged with crimes in the indictment?  investigation...correct? and evidence plus the good word of several mass killers

they have so much evidence in the case they do not need to pull this.  I recall Calderon saying municipal police in each drug plaza in 100% collusion and corruption

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Chivis you obviously have more details talking to the lawyer.  Can you share how this was leaked to the jury pool?  I didn’t realize they are far enough along the process to start selecting jurors and sequestering them.

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

mica a jury pool is everyone in NYC.  that is how it works.  by allowing innuendo that make headlines potential jurors see that and take it with them in pre-judgement.

I have served on several juries I am sure you have also, it is rough, people bring in prejudgment and what they have seen in the press.  they will say I can still judge fairly....but can one really forget what they read or seen on the news?

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

When I read about the jury pool, I thought wow he might get off on a technicality.  I agree, getting the story recycled into the news is no favor for Chapo, but it’s a blood sport between the lawyers at this point and the Judge would hold in laughter.

Are you concerned  that he will not get a fair trial?

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Cuidado
Agreed, all of a sudden we are hearing about this?   This is typical of the US govt.  Somehow every narco whos ever been bigtime in Mexico has had something to do with Kikis murder.  No murder charges filed yet...

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

huero minuto
I like that Chivis, "Chapo did it!".  I hope you don't mind if i use that also.
There could very well be an effort to produce a mistrail, though i think they would just charge him again.   The US gov't should have a good enough case without making Chapo the cause of every high profile crime.
Newspapers/TV has always been used to affect public opinion and truth has often been the victim.  However to remain credible, the gov't must be thorough in its presentation of facts, not just accusations.
I appreciate your call that he be treated fairly and not 'tortured' like some people would.  Being alone, locked up for the rest of ones life would be bad enough, kept alive, with no hope for freedom could be worse than death.
I can see lots of attempts to taint the jury pool but NY'ers are smart, and i'm sure there are plenty of people who have never, would never touch drugs, including pot.  Many people whose lives do not revolve around drugs, narcos and such, have only a glancing awareness of that world.  Most people dont do heroin, meth, coke, thank the lord!

Jstanothercoyo

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

hahaha  yep we all use it.   "who did this???"   ....."that damn Chapo"

look, chapo's crimes will put him away for life.

but this case is a travesty against our judicial system and process.   if one is protective of our constitution and jurisprudence we must protect it even when it falls in favor of those who in our personal opinion deserves no breaks.  If we compromise the system that is a slippery slope.  The laws of legal process they are using against Chapo were created a month after 911 and were to be used against terrorist dependents.  Like not being able to speak to their atty in private, or not speaking to the press.  etc.

totally unnecessary and controversial on the world stage.

if the gov keeps screwing around chapo may win an appeal. they have a mountain of irrefutable evidence, they don't need to do this.  they have added so many charges so close to trial, even the judge said "if you need to have this in, your case must not be so strong."

I told his atty in the beginning, and I knew him since the Mochomo trial where I was sympathetic to his client, but with Chapo I said " I have no sympathy with your client, but I promise to publish posts that are fair."  but the government's behavior in this case has sparked compassion and anger for our great legal system, it is not infallible but is the most perfect system in the world.  I take issue with those who tamper with it especially for their own personal gain of notoriety or to promote a failed "Drug War"

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Mica
@Chivis, valid points and I agree with you!
We use "blame Trump" for everything in my home ;-)

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

hahaha  we say "thanks a lot Obama"

Re: Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' tortured, killed 6 Americans and DEA agent within 9-week span, report says

Chava
Here in GRO, we say "damn Peña and his movie star wife"
12