Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

SEE VIDEO HERE

This is from the same series THE WAR NEXT DOOR- From this year

In El Paso, Texas, a major embarrassment for American law enforcement: U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer Margarita Crispin is sentenced to 20 years in prison for selling out to Mexican drug traffickers.

"It was amazing to us to find out that Margarita Crispin received $5 million for her services to allow loads of marijuana to come through her checkpoint along the border," assistant director of the Criminal Investigative Division of the FBI, told NBC News.

In the Mexican drug war, U.S. authorities are finding a disturbing trend: an increase in American law enforcement officials corrupted by wealthy Mexican criminals who pay them to look the other way as illegal drugs and immigrants flow north into the United States.
 Story: Mexico’s ‘war next door’ linked directly to United States
"It is the single most debilitating factor in successful law enforcement on the border, and we do a horrible job of weeding that corruption out,” says retired DEA supervisor Anthony Coulson.

In the last five years, nearly 80 U.S. Border Patrol agents and Customs and Border Protection officers have been arrested along the Mexican border, and according to federal authorities, hundreds more officials are under investigation.

“Once they cross the line, they are criminals, criminals that are in our uniform,” explains Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner David Aguilar.

Corruption runs deep

At a U.S. Senate hearing, it was revealed that Mexican cartel members are infiltrating American law enforcement. There was also testimony that during a hiring push that began five years ago to add thousands of Border Patrol and CBP officers, only 10 percent of the initial applicants were given polygraph tests.

Of those, 60 percent failed, raising concerns about the integrity of the others hired without screening.

"A very large percentage of those they don't test run into trouble within a year or two of being hired,” says Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark..

Along the border, the federal authorities aren't the only ones facing corruption problems. Local authorities, including sheriffs and police officers, have also succumbed to the lure of drug money.

In South Texas, former Sheriffs Conrado Cantu and Reymundo Guerra were jailed for helping Mexican smugglers, while in nearby Zapata County, Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez says corruption is rampant.

"It's greed, that's what it's been all the time, it's greed. It's just wanting that extra $10,000, $15,000, $20,000," Gonzalez explains.

Policing the police

To try to stem the corruption, President Obama recently signed a law requiring polygraph tests for all border patrol and customs law enforcement job applicants. Additionally, thirteen FBI anti-corruption teams now keep an eye on the 2,000-mile-long border, policing the police.

"There is no greater problem we are looking at within this organization. We cannot fail,” Aguilar declares.

Authorities insist the vast majority of border officers are honest and work hard in dangerous conditions, but they also say the better they become at stopping the smugglers, the more the Mexican cartels rely on corruption

NBC

Re: Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

Guerro
Nothing new jajaja..money talks!! Corruption in the US run deeps just like it runs in Mexico. How would cartels get tons and tons of drugs from point A to point B? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out jajaja..

Re: Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

Buela, you are to be commended again for shining a light on one of the core problems in the "war on drugs".  So many people, even here on BB don't want to acknowledge, admit, or accept that corruption is rampant on the North side of the border just like it is here in Mexico.  If people, the media, public officials, and others would just step back and look at the big picture of drug smuggling and trafficking, I don't see how anyone could draw any other conclusion.

I think the title of the Article " Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials? even misses the point.  I don't know that they are corrupting 'more'officials, the media and/or the government is just now recognizing what has been going on all along.  The first paragraph talks about the agent recently sentenced to 20years.
"It was amazing to us to find out that Margarita Crispin received $5 million for her services to allow loads of marijuana to come through her checkpoint along the border," assistant director of the Criminal Investigative Division of the FBI, told NBC News.
Maybe they were amazed at the amount.  Might have been more than they were getting.

The article further stated;
"In the Mexican drug war, U.S. authorities are finding a disturbing trend: an increase in American law enforcement officials corrupted by wealthy Mexican criminals who pay them to look the other way as illegal drugs and immigrants flow north into the United States."  If they are just now "finding" a trend, they haven't been looking very hard.

Getting drug across Mexico is the easy part. Granted it takes a lot of money paid in bribes to police, prosecutors, judges, Mayors, Governors, Council people, probably even padding the pockets of the rich and powerful in select locations so they will look the other way and not raise a stink.  It probably helps to transport the merchandise if you have a few murders, battles and beheadings, and other violence to draw attention and resources away from interferring with the actual business of the cartels.  IMO, much of that is done to throw up a smokescreen to cover the actual business of the cartels.

Ok, so all of that is accomplished and the goods get to the border.  That is not really their goal.  So what do you do now?

DUH!!!!

With a little tweeking, the plan and methods used south of the border should work north of the border.  You don't need the murder and mayhem you used in Mexico to throw up a smoke screen because for the most part people north of border think that "our protectors" at the local, state, and federal level are incorruptable because we live in the USA and our public officials are not going to take bribes from drug cartels.  I guess most people think the cartels are just sneaky and everyone knows   they get the drugs up here on the backs of all those illegal aliens swimming the river and crossing the desert.

So if the violence and mayhem are not necessary, the other key to making the plan work in Mexico, bribery, comes into play in a big way.  In most cases the cartels probably don't bribe entire police departments like in Mx., but zero in on power players; Sheriffs, Chief of Police, supervisor or Custom agents, Legislators, Judiciary.and other high officials just like they do in Mexico.

Human Greed knows no nationalties.  With the BILLIONS that they have to work with, they can offer such astronomical sums that many many otherwise 'good people' find it irresistable.  Remember how much money we are dealing with ; Ford MOTOR cOMPANY makes a profit of about 55 Billion a year.  Most estimates place the large cartels income much higher than that.

Re: Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

DD
I said Ford makes a profit of 55 Billion a year.  I meant to say 5 Billion a year.

Re: Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

Havana
It is true that this isn't a new scenario one,so logically fighting potential border corruption problem should have started years ago and been checked, tightened, rechecked.  But since for some reason it has fallen through the cracks, and left this side of the border vulnerable to infiltration, now's a good enough time to retighten up security, combat corruption, and keep on doing it faithfully.  Everything has to be an ongoing process.  Also, checking on positions up the food chain, all the up to lower governmental officials, Sheriffs, city councils to Representatives to Congress would be prudent. Because everyone knows, where there is money there is corruption.

Chivis, Good post.  Do you or anyone know if there are BDN, BB style blog that expose corrupted politicians, agents, sheriffs etc. in the border towns?  I mean only those affiliated with cartels or drugs.  It would be good to have a site that people could refer to when it is time to vote.  It is one way to have a little control this side of the border. Expose 'em, get them fired or vote them out.

Re: Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

DD
Wen, I think we are on the same wavelink.  Part of weeding out corruption is Detection at the border is a key to slowing down the flow.  If there are not enough xray machines to check the trucks andcars for hidden compartments, nor enough dogs to sniff out the drugs, money should be reallocated from less effective prgrams.  When ever a load that has gotten across is found either at the checkpoint, or where ever on the road, there should be an automatic check of where it crossed, what lane it was in (I assume there are cameras and tapes of all crossings) and the agents responsible for that lane investigated.  To me these are just common sense steps.

If using common sense and all the available technology available today the US cannot at least substantially reduce the amount of drugs entering the country, it make me wonder if those "conspiracy theorist" (for lack of a better word) that believe that the economic and political "powers that be" really do not want to stop the drug trade are correct. Their theory is that all that cash flow that is laundered through banks, purchase of shopping centers, hotels, etc. is simply too profitable to shut down.

Re: Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

Havana
jaja DDj-I know exactly what you're saying.  I say use what has gotten through (and later caught) with all our advances in technology etc., to plug up the gaps in the system all the way up the food chain. Clean it up. We put men on the moon (that's true, right?), why shouldn't we be able to curb corruption at the border? I'm not saying everywhere. This is when the circle starts spinning out of control and then we hear conspiracy, conspiracy, conspiracy theory because ....Which are the politicians that are dirty?  Someone knows. Let's throw a wrench in the works.  We have enough shopping centers.

Re: Mexican cartels corrupting more US border officials?

Oh boy Wen....that is a good idea, however in the states that is usually done by the canidates opposition, they rveal all the skeletons real and imagined.

and in Mexico, everyone knows and its a greater problem in Mx because people know and vote for the bastards anyway.  and PAID FOR THEIR VOTE by a monthly stipend.

D- question how long does the pay out last?  or does it continue?

Also have you followed Bert Moreiras big problem?  he may have to step down if Pena nieto gets in trouble, but I doubt that will happen... i just hope the government will honor their contract with me that has been in place for three administrations allowing me to build schools and therapy centers.  If I lose that no way I can afford to build as much as I do....   :(

I will say this again...the Mrs is a wonderful compassionate young lady, smart, funny.

as for the others......  YUK