Mexican Journalist who survived an assassination attack in Los Mochis confronts AMLO

Mexican Journalist who survived an assassination attack in Los Mochis confronts AMLO

National Post
NEWS

VIDEO

' They're killing us!' Mexican journalist who survived assassination demands justice from president
Since the president took power, 11 journalists have been killed. Mexico is considered the world's second-most-dangerous for media workers, after Syria

A Mexican video blogger Paul Velazquez, wearing a black eye patch and with metal surgical pins lodged in his face after surviving a murder attempt, looks on as Mexico's President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador attends a news conference at the National Palace in Mexico City, Mexico February 5, 2020.REUTERS/Alberto Vera

Anthony Esposito and Raul Cortes Fernandez
February 5, 2020
5:09 PM EST

 MEXICO CITY — A Mexican video blogger, wearing a black eye patch and with metal surgical pins lodged in his face after a murder attempt, confronted President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on Wednesday about the dangers journalists face and demanded justice.

 Lopez Obrador promised to increase protections for journalists when he took office in December 2018. Since then, 11 have been killed. The country is considered the world’s second-most-dangerous for media workers, after Syria.

 “President, they are killing us, don’t forget it please, they are killing us,” Paul Velazquez, an independent journalist who criticizes corruption on YouTube and Facebook, said at Lopez Obrador’s regular press conference.

 On Dec. 19, Velazquez was shot in the face as he walked toward his recording studio in the city of Los Mochis in the crime-ridden western state of Sinaloa. The attack took place after a close collaborator to the mayor of Los Mochis threatened his life, Velazquez told Reuters.

 Velazquez sent Reuters a video, taken from a security camera, that shows a man stepping out from behind a car and shooting him.

 Another video, apparently filmed by a passer-by on a cell phone, shows the journalist staggering in a grocery store and being assisted as blood spreads across the floor.

 Velazquez accused Los Mochis Mayor Manuel Guillermo Chapman Moreno, who goes by the name of Billy Chapman, of being behind the assassination attempt. A spokesman at Chapman’s office declined to comment.

 “President, I want to remind you that investigative journalists are not trophies for corrupt rulers to hunt down,” said Velazquez.

 In April 2019, Velazquez attended Lopez Obrador’s press conference and publicly accused Chapman of corruption and asked for the president’s help in removing him from office. Since the attack, Velazquez has been receiving government protection.

 The Committee for Protection of Journalists (CPJ) has singled out Mexico as dangerous for journalists, who are often targeted when their work upsets criminal gangs or corrupt officials.

 A total of 131 have been killed in Mexico since 2000, according to free-speech advocacy group Article 19, which counts 11 since Lopez Obrador took office. CPJ says at least five were killed in reprisal for their work, and is investigating another six cases.

 Article 19 spokesman Julio Cesar Colin said the attack on Velasquez was clearly in the context of his work and should be investigated by Mexico’s special prosecutor for crimes against freedom of expression.

COMMENTS

365 Bloor St East, Toronto, ON, M4W3L4, www.postmedia.com
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/theyre-killing-us-attacked-mexican-journalist-asks-president-for-justice

Re: Mexican Journalist who survived an assassination attack in Los Mochis confronts AMLO

Does anyone know what AMLO is saying to the Journalist in the video at the link? Thanks.

Re: Mexican Journalist who survived an assassination attack in Los Mochis confronts AMLO

redlogarythm
``We´re gonna keep tackling these criminal acts. It´s our main worry and occupation. I say this to you with my hole genuineness. We´re going to pacificate the country, this is our great challenge. Impunity must come to an end and in your particular case count on us to do the investigation to grant there´s not interventionism of any king, thus making you sure that there´s no power in Mexico above justice. No power such that´´
Quite empty words in my opinion.