Mexican Cartels invest in medical marijuana business DEA claim

Mexican Cartels invest in medical marijuana business DEA claim

Nuttz

Re: Mexican Cartels invest in medical marijuana business DEA claim

Pinchegringo
One would think that the dispensaries have to maintain some sort of ledger where their pot comes from.

Re: Mexican Cartels invest in medical marijuana business DEA claim

303
As a person who lives in CO one would think that, but in fact it is quite different. Since MJ is still illegal federally they are not allowed to have bank accounts. That means this is an ALL cash business and that can be easily manipulated. These business show up with all cash to pay their taxes and we are talking tens of thousands of dollars. Until they allow these businesses to have bank accounts it is hard to tracj where the money is coming from, how much it really is, and who it is going to. Though from what I have heard the Mexicans will have to get in line behind the Russians who have apparently already taken advantage of this.

Re: Mexican Cartels invest in medical marijuana business DEA claim

ToPHeR
Not entirely true. Just recently the federal government said they will not prosecute banks who want to loan money to MJ facilities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/obama-administration-clears-banks-to-accept-funds-from-legal-marijuana-dealers/2014/02/14/55127b04-9599-11e3-9616-d367fa6ea99b_story.html

Re: Mexican Cartels invest in medical marijuana business DEA claim

there may be some of this, investments, affiliations, seed money, whatever….but, across the board I'd doubt this, what is the benefit for the legit businessmen to get involved with organized crime? Esp. now thats it's so above boards in the state, the main movers in that line of work will be the quasi legit weed guys, backed by squeaky clean money...

Re: Mexican Cartels invest in medical marijuana business DEA claim

I work for a bank. Trust me, they do not do business with MJ businesses. They are talking about it, and I have heard maybe one or two local state banks (though still federally insured so not sure how that works) have allowed some of these businesses to open accounts there, but there have been multiple stories on how these companies are paying taxes as April 15th came and they had to figure out how to pay the government. No bank account means no checks. They did a story on a business that brought over 140k to the state government offices to pay their taxes and how nervous the owners were that they were traveling with over 100k in cash.