Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Uday
Hi Borderlandbeat family,I have a question. Cartels where the vehicles are armored? How do they do that? Are there special production sites? We have seem examples of them in the battle of Zetas-CDG.

Suvs are all armored.Isn't that really costly?

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Uday
There must be a facility for them.Extremely professional.I saw examples of these in Mosul İraq.

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Uday

These photos were taken in Ciudad Mier.Images from the CDG-Z battle (2010)

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Parro
Uday, in the case of the Chapitos, the local Mercedes dealership in Culiacan did the armoring for them.  Really can't understand these Mad Max trucks though.  Don't know how they're used, unless on a run to the river or border out in the boonies, protecting their product.  Don't look they are built for control and very noticeable.

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Uday
Thank you Parro
These are armored SUVs designed for war.I don't think a local mercedes dealer can do these things.I am also following the Middle East.This type of armor requires serious installations.Expert engineers,technicians etc..

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Gizzle_WON
You need a guy that works in a body shop and knows how to put and take off parts. Then u need a second guy to the the fabrication of steel plates. The plates r pretty easy u can download blueprints, import them into the computer, then this machine cuts the pieces exactly to size.

Finaly the shop guy tells the fabrication guy where to weld. They do a second wrap of thinner steel to close gaps and make one solid casing so if an explosive is used. It cant get into the cars cabin.

Then put everything else back. They really dont do much than that. They leave the old engines so sometimes these things r so heavy they cant move faster than 50mph

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

ESLiero
Most cartels carjack the citizenship for their vehicles that they latter use on the crime sprees. That “artisan” armor of cars was very popular in the CDC vs Zetas war, I think the cartel members Knew they were cannon fodder and just wanted to give themselves a better chance of surviving their suicide missions. Cartel bosses are not going to be investing in $100,000 Armored S.U.V’s for their henchmen, their lives ain’t worth it.
[Video from YouTube is of the Company in Mexico that Armor Vehicles for The Mexican Government]............

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JePp74BAYcc

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

What about the tires anybody?Shoot those out and the vehicle is vulnerable and won't go too far for escape.Are the tires reinforced somehow?

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Gizzle_WON
Most of the time, low budget trucks. If they are light enough they fill the tire with a foam like substance where the wheel can still keeps its form but once the wheel is penetretated with a bullet that will only last a few minutes or hours depending on many factors. Or they simply do nothing and as long as the rubber is thick and wheels keep moving, believe it or not it could reflect the bullet. But if the caliber is big enough its gonna go through no matter what

If the truck is really heavy though u have to weld steel plates onto the rims then u put the tire over it. So when u do get a tire shot. The wheel can still keep its shape and u wont be slidding all over the place.

Finally, if the truck is really build well, which almost never happens. They install special rims that require no air for the tire.  Or if the tire does require air. They install 2 little air cylinders within the tire. They have sensors that will pump the tire up as needed or continuously

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Uday
nice ideas continue to come guys but we need to think more in detail

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Uday
Another picture from Ciudad Mier

Source: Shutterstock

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

I read somewhere that the Mexican army actually does not have any battle tanks. Is this true?

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Uday
@Lechef I dont know about this

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Those are govt veichles used by narcos old fact .

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

Specifically tanks, I have never seen one.

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

dcm90

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

leChef
@DCM: I am curious why they don't have tanks from a military perspective, not from a narco war standpoint. I am sure there is good reason, but I am just curious. Likewise curious on what the main military agenda of Mexico is? Is it just to protect from an unknown general enemy or lingers an unsaid fear from historical US invasions or something else? The army just seems very big to not have any specific outer enemies, or am I wrong?

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

JadeLioness
There was a place in Orange County California that built armored cars with run flat tires and bullet proof glass etc. for "politicians". They also did stretched limos hearses for the Japanese and other custom high end modifications. I had an ex that used to work there managing 20 years ago. Not sure if it's still around, but it was an interesting place. The owner Nick, hired a lot of ex convicts and would hold it over the heads that they needed his good reports. I always thought that would end badly.

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles

bajachill
Most of the time the "War Trucks" are built by clandestine armorers. It is not too difficult. The normal armored vehicles are built by Armoring companies. You can find several for sale on classified sites. In "Used Vehicles"  search "blindado"

The tires are usually "Hunchinson"- Brand Name  runflat inserts. It's a two inch tall band that wraps around the rim and allows the vehicle to go about 50 miles after the tire is shot out.

It is important to remember. Narcos aren't running around with gold AKs and weedleaf belt buckles anymore. They own legitimate businesses, money exchanges, hotels and such. So they appear to be legitimate to armoring companies.
“The comfortable way to deal with these stories is to say they are about them. The way to understand these stories is to say they are about us.”
― Charles Bowden

Re: Mexican Cartels Armored Vehicles