McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

Software company founder John McAfee listens to a question during an interview at a local restaurant in Guatemala City, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. McAfee, 67, has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor in Belize, 52-year-old Gregory Faull. Police are urging McAffe to come in for questioning. The anti-virus company founder fled Belize and is seeking political asylum in Guatemala, according to his lawyer Telesforo Guerra. Photo: Moises Castillo / AP

  McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

GUATEMALA CITY (AP) — Software company founder John McAfee has surfaced in public for the first time in weeks, saying Tuesday that he plans to ask for asylum in Guatemala because he fears persecution in Belize.

McAfee spoke to The Associated Press in a restaurant near a high-end hotel where he is staying in Guatemala City after sneaking out of neighboring Belize. Police in Belize have called him a person of interest in the November slaying of a fellow American ex-pat but say there is no warrant for his arrest. Since there are no restrictions on his travels, it's unclear why he would need any special status in order to stay in Guatemala.

McAfee says he is being persecuted by the Belizean government, and he has sensitive information about official corruption in that country. He has hired a well-known Guatemalan lawyer to assist him.

"I need a safe place where I can actually speak out," McAfee said. "Now that I'm here I can speak freely. I can speak openly."

Belizean police have denied they are persecuting McAfee or are motivated by corruption, saying they have simply been investigating a crime about which McAfee may have information.

Prime Minister Dean Barrow has expressed doubts about McAfee's mental state, saying: "I don't want to be unkind to the gentleman, but I believe he is extremely paranoid, even bonkers."

McAfee told the Associated Press that he will petition the Guatemalan government to allow him to stay. McAfee said he fears he will be killed if he turns himself in for questioning in Belize.

"Belize does not have a good track record of providing safety when they ask to question you," he said. "I felt much more secure crossing the border into a country that had laws that were backed by the justice system."

McAfee is wanted for questioning in connection with the killing of Gregory Viant Faull, who was shot to death in early November on the Belize island where the men lived.

Faull's home was a couple of houses down from the compound where McAfee kept several noisy dogs, armed guards and entertained a steady stream of young women brought in from the mainland. McAfee acknowledges that his dogs were bothersome and that Faull had complained about them, but denied killing Faull. Several of the dogs were poisoned shortly before Faull's killing.

"I am absolutely innocent," McAfee said on Tuesday.

The Faull family has said through a representative that the murder of their loved one on Ambergris Caye has gotten lost in the media frenzy provoked by McAfee's manipulation of the press through phone calls, emails and blog posts detailing his life on the lam.

For two weeks, McAfee refused to turn himself in to authorities in Belize and claimed to be hiding in plain sight, wearing disguises and watching as police raided his house. It was unclear, however, how much of what McAfee — a confessed practical joker — said and wrote was true.

On Monday, McAfee said he had fled from Belize using a bizarre ruse involving an elaborate distraction in neighboring Mexico.

In an email to The Associated Press, McAfee confirmed a posting to his website in which he described, in what appeared to be joking tones, how he mounted the ruse.

"My 'double,' carrying on (sic) a North Korean passport under my name, was detained in Mexico for pre-planned misbehavior," McAfee wrote in the posting, "but due to indifference on the part of authorities (he) was evicted from the jail and was unable to serve his intended purpose in our exit plan."

In his comments to The AP on Tuesday, McAfee didn't provide details of how he crossed from Belize into Guatemala.

McAfee had earlier said he didn't plan to leave Belize but ultimately did because he thought "Sam" was in danger, referring to the young woman who has accompanied him since he went into hiding.

McAfee, the creator of the McAfee antivirus program, has led an eccentric life since he sold his stake in the anti-virus software company that is named after him in the early 1990s and moved to Belize about three years ago to lower his taxes.

He told The New York Times in 2009 that he had lost all but $4 million of his $100 million fortune in the U.S. financial crisis. However, a story on the Gizmodo website quoted him as calling that claim "not very accurate at all." He has dabbled in yoga, ultra-light aircraft and producing herbal medications.

Software company founder John McAfee adjusts a microphone in preparation for an interview in Guatemala City, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. McAfee, 67, has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor in Belize, 52-year-old Gregory Faull. Police are urging McAffe to come in for questioning. The anti-virus company founder fled Belize and is seeking political asylum in Guatemala, according to his lawyer Telesforo Guerra. Photo: Moises Castillo / AP

Software company founder John McAfee, left, accompanied by his lawyer Telesforo Guerra, right, answers questions during an interview at a local restaurant in Guatemala City, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. McAfee, 67, has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor in Belize, 52-year-old Gregory Faull. Police are urging McAffe to come in for questioning. The anti-virus company founder fled Belize and is seeking political asylum in Guatemala, according to his lawyer Telesforo Guerra. Photo: Moises Castillo / AP

Software company founder John McAfee speaks during an interview at a local restaurant in Guatemala City, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. McAfee, 67, has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor in Belize, 52-year-old Gregory Faull. Police are urging McAffe to come in for questioning. The anti-virus company founder fled Belize and is seeking political asylum in Guatemala, according to his lawyer Telesforo Guerra. Photo: Moises Castillo / AP

Software company founder John McAfee talks to his lawyer Telesforo Guerra, right, after giving an interview at a local restaurant in Guatemala City, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. McAfee, 67, has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor in Belize, 52-year-old Gregory Faull. Police are urging McAffe to come in for questioning. The anti-virus company founder fled Belize and is seeking political asylum in Guatemala, according to Guerra. Photo: Moises Castillo / AP

This Nov. 20, 2012 image, shows a screenshot of the blog of Software company founder John McAfee. In the latest twist in the highly-publicized case, McAfee has started his own blog, in which he describes life on the lam after police in Belize called him a "person of interest" in the slaying of fellow American Gregory Viant Faull and asked him to turn himself in for questioning. Photo: The Hinterland / AP

McAfee's home. Photo via Ocean Home Magazine. (http://oceanhomemag.com/mcafee-puts-molokai-ocean-home-up-for-sale/) / SF

A deceptively tranquil view in front of the compound. Photo: Martin Savidge/CNN via McAfee Security UK.org. (http://mcafeesecurity.org.uk/misc/a-bizarre-visit-to-john-mcafees-pleasure-palace-in-belize.html) / SF

Software company founder John McAfee has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor, 52-year-old Gregory Viant Faull, right, whose body was discovered on Sunday. Photo: HO, Handout / AFP

Software company founder John McAfee, right, accompanied by his girlfriend "Sam," leaves after a press conference outside the Supreme Court in Guatemala City, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. McAfee, 67, who has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor in Belize, 52-year-old Gregory Faull, has surfaced in public for the first time in weeks, saying Tuesday that he plans to ask for asylum in Guatemala because he fears persecution in Belize. Photo: Moises Castillo / AP

Software company founder John McAfee poses for pictures after a press conference outside the Supreme Court in Guatemala City, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. McAfee, 67, who has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor in Belize, 52-year-old Gregory Faull, has surfaced in public for the first time in weeks, saying Tuesday that he plans to ask for asylum in Guatemala because he fears persecution in Belize. Photo: Moises Castillo / AP

Software company founder John McAfee poses for pictures after a press conference outside the Supreme Court in Guatemala City, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012. McAfee, 67, who has been identified as a "person of interest" in the killing of his neighbor in Belize, 52-year-old Gregory Faull, has surfaced in public for the first time in weeks, saying Tuesday that he plans to ask for asylum in Guatemala because he fears persecution in Belize. Photo: Moises Castillo / AP

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/McAfee-says-he-plans-to-seek-asylum-in-Guatemala-4090723.php#ixzz2E95MTI7B

Re: McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

there is a long interview with 60 minutes I could not find, I did find this one shot  in Guatemala.  that is one of his girlfriends, she is 20

see interview here

Re: McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

Siskiyou_Kid
It sounds like the girlfriend is his lawyer's niece, and the soap opera gets better.

VICE editor-in-chief Rocco Castoro and photographer/videographer Robert King have been following John McAfee for the past four days, documenting his life on the run. Rocco and Robert will continue to follow John until the conclusion of his journey .............

Re: McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

It is stranger than fiction as they say..at least he is a lover of animals.  at least canine.
his girlfriend was described as "one of his girlfriends" , whatever, she always looks unhappy

Re: McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

ArmChairIntellect
I would like to chat with him, he seems psychotic, he would make a excellent candidate for long term use of RDs.

Re: McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

FreeMexico

Re: McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

Siskiyou_Kid
I agree, it's off-topic telenovela material.

But, between his posts about experimenting with bath salts as "Stuffmonger" on Bluelight and the bizarre dealings with corrupt governments in a geographical area where the Zetas and CDS both transit tons of product, it's still a compelling story.

Re: McAfee says he plans to seek asylum in Guatemala

reports are he was arrested in guate today for illegally entering the country....pretty funny.