....MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

....MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

Kuala Lumpur .- Three Mexicans are one step away from being sentenced to death by hanging in Malaysia, accused of being part of an international organization dedicated to the trafficking and distribution of methamphetamine in Southeast Asia.   The trial began today 4-27-11... 16 hours ahead of PST  new photos..

 When this story broke it concerned me.  Having lived in Malaysia and knowing things are rarely as they seem there, often wrongly convicted defendants hang for crimes they are innocent of.  Drugs is a  big issue and Malay has zero tolerance for, hanging occurrs even for MJ.  It was the scariest place I have ever lived in, living in a country that pretty much hates Americans is not fun.

Whereas I would like to know how these men from Sinaloa were recruited, by whom, for what.  I had an issue with the notion that MDC were working in Malaysia, it was news to me.  I do know the chemical for meth is shipped in huge shipments via containers to Mexico from places like China, but for actual production in any Asian country was something I questioned.  I also noticed this pic said there were three mexicans and the other faces were blurred but I felt they were mostly Mx in the back row, as Malay would not wear those hats.  Looks like I was correct.  Here is an updated account of the story.
See what you think.
  CHIVIS
3 Mexican brick makers who sought work in Malaysia now face hanging if convicted in drug trial   By Alexandra Olson, The Associated Press–1 hour ago

CULIACAN, Mexico — From age 6, each of the Gonzalez brothers learned to make bricks, trudging like nine little chicks behind their father every day before dawn to work in his dusty hilltop brickyard.

Three years ago, three of them in their 30s and 40s quit the backbreaking work, saying they had a better opportunity abroad.

Now, having escaped the Mexican drug war that leaves dead bodies on the streets of their city of Culiacan almost daily, the brothers face the gallows in Malaysia, standing trial on Wednesday for allegedly working in a factory where police found $15 million in methamphetamine. If convicted, they face Malaysia's mandatory sentence of death by hanging for drug trafficking.

The case raises questions about a connection between their home state, Sinaloa, the cradle of Mexico's drug trade, and a country more than 15,000 kilometres (some 10,000 miles) away that is a regional production hub for meth. While authorities say there is no direct evidence to tie the Sinaloa cartel, Mexico's most powerful, to meth production in Asia, they wouldn't be surprised by such a link.
"If you look at trends, then you see that these organizations are fanning out," said a U.S. law enforcement official in Mexico who couldn't be named for security reasons. "They are popping up everywhere."

Only a month after leaving Mexico, the brothers — Jose Regino, 33, Luis Alfonso, 43 and Simon Gonzalez, 36 — called home during a family birthday party. Their relatives thought they were calling with congratulations. Instead the brothers told them they were under arrest.The family hung up stunned, and searched for Malaysia on their globe.

"If I had been asked to go I would not have gone," brother Ismael Gonzalez said as he dragged a wheelbarrow filled with dark clay at the brick yard, his bare feet caked in mud. "I say they had no idea what they were getting into."

Malaysia has increasingly become a regional production hub for methamphetamine production, according to the U.S. State Department 2011 International Narcotics Control report. Most labs so far have been financed or operated by Singaporean, Chinese, Taiwanese, Thai or Iranian traffickers.

Mexican drug cartels have long-standing ties with Asian suppliers to obtain methamphetamine precursor chemicals, but they have not been known to be involved in production in that part of the world. U.S. officials, however, suspect the Sinaloa gang is seeking market share in Asia.

While the brothers have no criminal records, and the family insists they are innocent, the U.S. law enforcement official said it would not be unusual for a Mexican cartel to recruit inexperienced foot soldiers for such an operation, and cooking methamphetamine is a simple procedure.
Malaysian police say the brothers were arrested in March 2008 at a secluded meth factory along with a Singaporean and a Malaysian. Police seized more than 60 pounds (nearly 30 kilograms) of methamphetamine worth $15 million.

The Mexican Foreign Relations Department says three other Mexicans were detained in Malaysia on drug charges around the same time and released last year. It declined to give details about their cases. The six are the first Mexicans to be arrested in Malaysia on drug trafficking charges, according to the department.

The brothers' Malaysian attorney, Kitson Foong, said they were arrested outside the factory and were not involved in what was going on inside. He declined to give details about what the brothers were doing in Malaysia but said "They are not guilty. They are not drug traffickers."

Malaysian prosecutor Umar Saifuddin Jaafar said the Mexicans were arrested inside the factory. He said the prosecution team was not aware that the brothers came from a hotbed of drug trafficking in Mexico but that they "had some knowledge of the procedure, the equipment" at the laboratory."These people knew what they were doing. They operated in a very secretive environment. It seems to be that these people are experts," Jaafar said.

Neighbours and relatives say there was no sign that the brothers aspired to the ostentatious world of Sinaloa's capos, whose families live in mansions, drive Jaguars and bury their dead in gaudy mausoleums with spiral staircases and balconies.

On good days, the brothers earned about 300 pesos ($25) making and selling bricks. Simon dislocated three discs in his back several years ago, and a doctor urged him to quit."He kept working," said their sister, Alejandrina. "It's the only thing to do in the neighbourhood, and it's the only thing that my father taught him since he was little. Bricks, bricks, bricks."

She said two men her brothers sometimes played soccer and basketball with told them about a job opportunity abroad and they left together."They never told us where they were going. They only said they were going to try their luck at another job," she said.

When the phone call came in March 2008, the family pooled their money and borrowed from friends to send Alejandrina and a friend to Malaysia. She saw her brothers for the first time in a courtroom, chained with about a dozen other prisoners from different cases. They looked up, stunned to see their sister, and assured her they did not go there to get involved in drugs.

Foong said police have mishandled his client's case from the start. He charged they lost two-thirds of the drugs seized at the factory and that at one point they filed a report claiming the drugs had been stolen. He alleged that four police officers were arrested after being caught on camera stealing some of the drugs themselves.>

Prosecutor Jaafar said four policemen were investigated in late 2008 on suspicion of stealing about 5 kilograms of meth from the evidence room of the state police headquarters. He insisted the theft does not affect the prosecution's case because chemists had already examined the drugs by then and prepared a report about their contents.

In February, the Kuala Lumpur High Court refused to throw out the case and ordered the brothers to stand trial.Foong said the brothers have been bewildered by the Malay-language proceedings, and the Mexican Embassy in Kuala Lumpur says it will provide translators for the trial. The Foreign Relations Department says its consular officials have visited the brothers from the start.If convicted, Foong said, the brothers still have two layers of appeals and the overall process could last another year.

In Simon's old room, three photographs of his daughter Bianca still hang on the wall. Now 6, she has started school, but her mother, Brenda, says the child has nightmares and refuses to learn to read or write."She says she won't learn until her father comes back," the mother said. "I tell her, 'No, you must learn quickly so you can write to him.'"

                                                               photo if the father of the men on trial standing in the brick yard where they all worked together

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

kylesam
So what were they doing there? Their job? the article fails to mention that?

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

That's the big question.  There is no evidence that they were sent by a mexican cartel, and there is no need for Malaysian's to bring Mexican's to do drug work, there are plenty that speak their language ( Malay or English) to choose from.  BUT this is what I do know, plenty of migrants are brought in my agents to work low pay jobs, they intice the foriegn person, always a person of poverty, promising adventure and big money, they pay for their travel then when there the story changes.  They seldom are paid much and treated terribly, women are sexually abused and the migrants are worked like slaves.  But why Mexico?  learly a language barrier.  It makes not sense.

For me, I am still keeping an open mind, but I would be surprised if they were not hung

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

drattler
Everybody claims the death penalty DOES NOT DETER CRIME,sure is a lot of chatter about the "poor bricklayers" and when its all over MEXICAN MANAGMENT may have a hard time getting people to do business in these 0 tolerance countrys. THere are reasons Mexico has such lax,loose,ineffective criminal system, SO CRIME WILL PAY EVEN BETTER.

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

Lets me ask you this friend.  WHat if they are innocent?
As this drama has unfolded, there is no proof they are connected to any Mx cartel and the "evidence" keeps changing to less and less.  SOmething is a little off.  My sense says they were involved, but I can't judge by a hunch.

Perhaps I have sat on too many juries in  my life.  But I always began with innocense...then show me the guilt.

If they are guilty I will say they deserve punishment but death?  for what?  They are not traffickers and from what papers in KL say.  And to have not one thing translated into spanish seems to me unfair, oh I don't know if I am being accused I sorta want to know what is going on before I am hung.

You know?

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

ovemex
Administrator
Concluye primera parte de juicio contra mexicanos en Malasia
 (cobertura en vivo)

Report and real time coverage on the case from Milenio.com

http://www.milenio.com/node/703471

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

AllseeingI
If they are innocent they made a huge mental error choosing to remain at a warehouse where an enormous lab was being operated. There does not have to be any evidence linking them to a cartel. Malaysia, like other countries, has laws that clearly state if you are caught in possession over a certain amount of narcotics, you are charged with trafficking. As far as considering someone innocent until proven guilty, this is not the United States. Mexico herself does not use such a standard either under her current justice system. Malaysia is a sovereign country. She does not have to bend to the demands of Mexico or Mexicans. She has the right as a sovereign country to establish her own laws within her own country. If she chooses to run her justice system a particular way, then she has the sovereign right to do so. These men did not tell anyone where they were going or what they were going for. This display of secrecy to even their families is disturbing. The way they entered the country by first going to Vietnam and then to Malaysia is disturbing in that it makes them appear to be tourists travelling the far east and accepted through customs in an easier manner. These men had done nothing their entire lives but make bricks. Their reading and writing skills in their native language are very poor and yet they travel to a country with few if any people who speak their native language. They can not name the company for which they were sent to Malaysia to work for or the name of the ship on which they were to work. Taking into consideration their poor education level, it is not out of the realm of possibility for them to not have a clue about the laws of the country they were going to. They probably had very little idea about what went on in Mexico for that matter. Ignorance, however; does not provide for an affirmative defense. These men did nothing to help their cause with keeping everything to themselves, which by all reported accounts, goes against the described character of men who spent their entire lives working together with their family in the family business. These men must come up with a reason why they were there and it must be something plausible. If not, it will only point the finger directly at them and indicate that they are cookers and nothing more. These men are going to be found guilty and will be hung for this. I would imagine before this happens they will confess what they have done and give the names to authorities of those who recruited, arranged their travel, and placed them in the warehouse.

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

ovemex

Re: ....MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

UPDATE!

YESTERDAY TAIWAN NEWS AND MALAY PAPER REPORTED THE SUSPENSION OF THE TRIAL BECAUSE OF FLAGRANT TAMPERING OF EVIDENCE.  IT MUST HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY FLAGRANT TO HALT A TRIAL.  STILL IFFY WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

Previous posts I had said there was no evidence that I could see.  These men were not inside the factory when arrested yet the report changed later to place them inside.  When Asian newspapers began questioning the evidence I knew there must be a problem.

Defense lawyer Kitson Foong won in Kuala Lumpur High Court on Wednesday to reverse its earlier decision that the prosecution has established a reasonable case against the suspects.

Foong claimed tampering of evidence such as that received by a chemist for analysis was different from what had been found at the factory.

Prosecutor Umar Saifuddin Jaafar denied there was any manipulation of evidence that undermined the trial.

Four of the police connected to the arrest have been arrested themselves.

My question is..who brought them to Asia?  that would tell us a lot.

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

The facts you present are not valid.  WHich is my point.  The arrest report was radically changed placing them in inside of out. They were in Taiwan when offered a job in KL.  That was to be on a ship but they were told the wait would be several weeks so meanwhile there was this factory job.  and there is the communication issue, even from my exp asians speaking spanish is difficult to understand because of the accent.

the evidence is gone, four arresting police have been arrested.

They were released yesterday.  But 50-50 if they will be re-arrested.  this is a rare event.

I have always thought it was more likely than not they had some guilt, but they are so low level and in Malay it is what you "have" ownership of the drugs that is measured against you.  I couldn't see how they said the brothers owned this amount of drugs.  So it becomes important to know just who brought them to asia?  There is not a drop of eveidence they are connected to Sinaloa Cartel, no one is claiming that.  So who?  If it is an asian employment agency then the brothers are most likely innocent of intending to break the law.  Once there however bad guys take the passports away

Presumed innocent until proven guilty..and in this case the evidence is not only gone, they tried to subsitute the evidence with drugs not connected to the case.

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

AllseeingI
Banned User
THe facts I have presented are the facts of the case. Until you find a way to look at the satellite images of the warehouse I would suggest your opinion is exactly that. You do not have the clearance to know the facts of the case and are basing your opinion on news reports. They went to Vietnam and the went to Malaysia. They never set foot in Taiwan. But then aganst I guess since you are a foreign service official you would have access to this information yes?

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

The malaysian papers are reporting thi s from a year ago.  I went from the beginning because the story has changed dramactically from the arrest report.  I have no idea what you are speaking of about satellite, and don't recall anyone saying that.  Please explain.  The mfg plant was a legit mfg but allegedly also mfg meth.

Here the situation.  I have no clue why you want these guys to be guilty, and perhaps they are, what I had issue with is the story changed on the arrest report as far as exactly where they were when arrested.  and I support presumed innocent until evidence proves otherwise.  rather then commenters ready to hang them while not knowing this case.

had no evidence of ties with any mexican cartel-leading me to consider being a part of a employment overseas employment scam. for all the reasons I stated.  and I made this clear it was my speculation.  this is a forum to speculate.  What's the problem?

You a a piece of work.  I never said I was a foreign service official nor would I want to be, for starters the pay is much to low for this gal.  However the information I procured was from the defence team and filed with the court on appeal.

Rarely does a capital case reverse a decision without a high level  standard of proof  of cause.

They are free today.  I am not sure if it will stay that way.  I do know Malay does not care nor allow the opinion of other nations to affect any decision they make.

I will speculate at times and will say as much.  so what?  I also contribute many hours of research and no unlike most people I have listed my sources plus the facts living and working in a Mexican border stae for a decade and have friendships with federal and state leaders that afford a deep look into mexican state and federal government, and the enducational system.  Its what I do.  Its the mission of our family foundation.  100% funded by us.

were you able to access anywhere the full appeal?  I just got bits and pieces, my husband watch some of the hearing in HK on his IPAD but I had trouble with the stream

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

AllseeingI
Banned User
They are still in custody as of this morning. You should really stop paying for terrible information

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

I did not pay for it.  They were released the day of appeal, as I said at the time 50/50 if they would stay out.
Ovemex is the source of the first release story and he posted it on my post.

so you want to argue with him?  No one EVER said we paid for this info.  Something is very wrong with you. Honestly, perhaps you should not read my posts.  But I see by your  history that is practically all you read/post.  I think we are wasting to much time back and forth.  you pluck nosense from the air.

My information is correct. I have not updated this story not enough new, IMO they will hang. But I am sure if you email Ovemex he can address your comment of him paying for the release info.  This is getting very old.  Give it a rest.

Re: ....MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

These guys are facing their last appeal...........

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/mexican-brothers-get-last/1799882.html

Re: ....MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

choco
Imho clearly these guys took the fall for the real meth manufacturers.  Poor brick layers from Sinaloa obviously would not have the knowledge, financing or ability to manufacture meth on a large scale in a country where they didn't even speak the language.

What a nightmare for them... hoping the last appeal before the high court is upheld, but I think it is a long shot at this point.

Re: NEW INFO..MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

Maddy
Wow Chivis your CIA?..thats cool..but also a dam good reporter..lol..jk..

People can't be more ignorant than that person banned user.

Re: ....MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

exactly, I won't even reply to the ignorance of the other comment.

I lived in KL and we had offices there, until after 911.  some of the meetings of the terrorists were in KL, Americans are hated there.

anyway people from latin am including mexico and of poor countries as phillipines are enticed into thinking they will get high paying jobs and training overseas, once there they are forced into criminal activy, and their passports are taken etc.

the Mexican recruiter, and one of the main guys in this operation hired a top atty, he got off and fled back to mexico.  these brothers were never in trouble and never a part of organized  crime in Mexico.  it is absolutely stupid to think they would go to a foreign land, don't know the language to work in the drug trade.  they could have stayed with their families if they wanted that.  I can't recall what work they were promised, but it included training.

it is a sad case.

JMB

Re: ....MEXICAN BRICK LAYERS FROM SINALOA MAY HANG IN MALAYSIA FOR DRUGS..

JMB
Crime in some countries isn't a big fat joke. IF they are found guilty, they will definitely hang. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Recall the young 'Merkin spray painter. He won't do that shizit again, not there. And no amount of diplomacy could save him from being caned. So ...

Also, the Malay have a dim view of Americans because most (men) go to Southeast Asia looking for the sex trafficking of children and opium. So ...

Lastly, plenty of people from LatAm and the Philippines go abroad to work in countries where they don't know the language. Oman, EAU, Qatar are examples.