Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

ThinkTank

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

1966tinman
The 1982 peso devaluation was even more traumatic on the average Mexican family after then outgoing President Jose Lopez de Portillo's  economic policies could no  longer justify artificially holding up the peso's value .  I remember that the devaluation was about 30% and caused many companies to default on bank loans secured with American banks .  The assassination of presidential hopeful Luis Donaldo Colosio was a tragic event but is overblown to the extent that many Mexicans and foreigners revere him as some kind of heroic martyr crusading for the dramatic changes to the PRI's political stranglehold   .  Colosio was just the same type of party loyalist / technocrat that  is served up by the major parties in every presidential election , year after year . I remember being inspired by the eloquent words in a speech given by Carlos Salinas about transforming Mexico into a First World economic power   at a student rally in Monterrey in 1987 when he was being groomed for the presidency by the PRI .  If Salinas had been assassinated that day , I would probably  have a shrine or altar in my home revering his potential greatness  . We all know now how his tenure as president turned out  . I believe that the violence unleashed by the criminal organizations against the Mexican nation is the most significant event in modern Mexican history .  It is significant because of its traumatic and long lasting effect that it has had on all facets of Mexican society from an economic , political, and social standpoint .

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

Moros

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

bolio
This might make no sense but you could absolutely argue that a weaker peso helps the economy of Mexico in certain respects.  With a weak peso it is cheaper for Mexicans to buy Mexican goods which are produced in Mexico which theoretically has the effect of creating more jobs.  It also keeps more of the money earned and circulated throughout Mexico in Mexico which has a positive effect on the balance of payments.  Further, it encourages tourism which adds money to the economy.

It should also encourage exports from Mexico because, in theory and without tariffs, Mexican goods would be cheaper to produce and could be sold in other countries at prices below where the domestic market could compete with.  Blame this on the 1% but Mexico probably dropped the ball on this one and failed to really take advantage of NAFTA apart from gaining some relatively low paying, labor type jobs in the Mantiquilla (sp?) zones.

I am not saying that the value of a currency is not a good way to evaluate an economy and I am definitely not saying that the Mexican economy has progressed in an acceptable fashion.  Please do not kill me on this, I am only trying to point out a positive.

If you are interested in this subject, a really great book to read is "America:  Who Stole the Dream", which is about issues just like this.  A fantastic book to read is called "Secrets of the Temple" which is about Paul Volker running the Federal Reserve Bank in the late 1970's when inflation was hovering around 20%.  It really goes into to the value of currency issue, interest rates, bond prices, balance of payments and inflation in a way that is easily understandable.

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

ThinkTank

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

Valhalla
"Many factors led to the destruction that came upon Mexico, and it took many, many years. Those charts reflect the moment when the world and all of society lost faith in Mexico."

Nah, if you look a bit outside of the typical BB view, the rest of the world, it´s nothing unusual, and that´s without anybody of importance been offed.
More interesting is the usual dirty tricks of the bankster class.
All Wars Are Bankster Wars.

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

Pepe

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

Siskiyou_Kid
I've posted this here multiple times, but it's an oldie but goodie from our friend Charles Bowden, DEP.

He touches briefly on the 2008 economic downturn, and how the illicit economy saved Mexico, and much of the world, from economic Armageddon.  Skip to around 2:15 for the part of the video where Bowden addresses the economic impact of the drug industry and the skip to 3:45 for the assertion that drug money kept the banks from collapsing in 2008.

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

ThinkTank

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

Pepe

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

Pepe

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

You are bang on on that 1.Our Canadian dollar is 20% less than US dollar now because of the slump in oil[our petro dollar]Tourism has boomed big time here from Americans and Canadians are doing stay-vacations because it costs them more to go to US so money stays in our economy.When we buy US products like fresh fruits and veggies they are expensive but when ours comes out in summer its cheaper even though its not mass produced.

Re: Luis Donaldo Colosio Assassination. The Most Significant Event in Modern Mexican History?

I lived in Azcaputzalco in Mexico City for 6 months right after the earthquake.I know Canada and many other countries sent blankets,food,etc.Word among the Chilangos was that the aid was all rummaged through by the authorities,military,etc. and there was hardly anything left for anybody you would never know that many countries gave aid.I had also heard the only help people got for rebuilding their homes was an interest-free loan;in other words they had to purchase another house at full price.