Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

Itzli
This post was updated on .

42 year old José González Valencia, alias "Chepa", "Camarón" and "Santy", was arrested on Wednesday, December 27 at an upscale tourist complex Fortaleza, Brazil where he was vacationing with family since December 22.  According to the Federal Police of Brazil's press release, he had entered the country using a fake Bolivian ID, the country in which he was suspected to have lived over the past two years having fled Mexico.

Following the February 28, 2015 arrest in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, of his brother, Abigael González Valencia, alias "El Cuini", "El Chepa" was said to have taken over the leadership of Los Cuinis, a drug trafficking organization that is often identified as part of the CJNG.  Another brother, Gerardo, who was identified as second in command of Los Cuinis, was arrested in Uruguay in April 2016.

Re: Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

I wonder if guys like that prefer to fly private or commercial to places like Brazil. Vacation time for the everybody right now, had to have been tracking him.  Now, the process to extradite begins.  Is he under indictment in the US?

Re: Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

Itzli
I'm not finding that information specifically but it is worth noting that the United States has already requested that he be extradited to the United States on drug trafficking charges.

Re: Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

Interesting that he had been living in Bolivia for 2 years, first of the major upper level traffickers that has been living abroad....For all the rumors, they are always caught in Mexico, often in home state.

Re: Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

it was the exradition request of the U.S. that got him arrested.  I have a little more details on main page.

The extradition has been approved in 4 courts but has an entanglement of Amparos.  It is in the last court and should be approved soon and final

Re: Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

Parro
Old story but some more information and current drug cartel activity in Bolivia.  El Camaron, or Jafett Arias Becerra as he was known in Boliva, was a respectable cattle rancher.  In resided in the Santa Cruz region, known as "Bolivia's barn", a hideout for drug traffickers on the lam.  In reality he was a member of CJNG, and a Los Cuinis.

An interesting article on more background of Valencia, being arrested in Brazil.  He is currently serving a sentence for using a false document and awaiting extradition to the United States.  The DEA interviewed him in prison in 2018, but have not commented on the interview.  Gonzalez Valencia still owned his Bolivian property as late as March of this year.

Too lengthy of a post, but good article and good pictures.

Source:  https://www.occrp.org/en/investigations/the-flight-and-capture-of-a-cartel-man
MX

Re: Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

MX
Nice find, Parro! I really appreciate you sharing this. I wrote his Wikipedia article last year and there had not been a mention of him in the news since December 2018, when the Brazilian government announced the Supreme Court Federal judge José Celso de Mello Filho approved his extradition. I'll try to incorporate the source you provided into the article when I have time to read through it entirely.

Have you heard anything about his brother Gerardo? Not sure why the U.S. is taking so long to respond when both Uruguay and Brazil had done efforts on their end to send these guys to the U.S.

Re: Los Cuinis/CJNG Leader José González Valencia Arrested

Parro
Mx. no word here either.  "Lalo", to remind readers is Gerardo Gonzalez-Valencia, was captured and is in prison in Uruguay for a charge the US made in 2016, by the DEA,

Link: https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2018/10/16/indictments-against-11-high-level-mexican-drug-cartel-members-unsealed

Dept. of Justice, posted his name as awaiting extradition on October 16, 2018

Link:  https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-treasury-and-state-departments-announce-coordinated-enforcement-efforts-against

On October 26, 2018, Lalo was told of his extradition to the USA.  He was given until, November 8, along with his law team to take his case to the Supreme Court of Justice, the last step in the appeal process in Uruguay.

Before his final appeal, he launched threats against interior minister Eduardo Bonomi.  "They tortured me, they took me naked in subzero temperatures, if the interior mister, Bonomi keeps sending his to torture me, look for the highest bridge in Uruguay where I will hang him."

In principle, he had been held in the Comcar, but after the threats was sent to a branch of the Republican Guard, where he is still held only with special security measures.

Excellent Wikipedia post on this guy MX.  Comprehensive in detail, but get the underlying story.  Imagine, having the statute of limitations invoked by his legal team, since the year 2013.  That's (3) years before he was even caught.  Latin American Justice ruled by non-citizens.

On a final note, on 4/25/19, InSight Crime reported on Lalos connections to Argentina, who is fighting over Lalo's assets that were seized.  Maybe that's the hold up.

Source:  https://www.insightcrime.org/news/brief/argentina-mexico-cuinis/