Los Cabos rejects study of most dangerous in world

Los Cabos rejects study of most dangerous in world

News
Violent cities study rejected in Los Cabos
Businesses say homicide data outdated and out of context as violent crime way down
Mexico News Daily | Thursday, March 8, 2018
    A study by a Mexican non-governmental organization that ranked Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, as the most violent city in the world has been rejected by the resort town’s private sector.

    The Citizens’ Council for Public Security and Criminal Justice said the homicide rate in Los Cabos — at 111.3 per 100,000 inhabitants — was higher than anywhere else on the planet in 2017.

    But in a joint statement the Business Coordination Council (CCE), the Los Cabos Hotel Association and the Los Cabos Tourism Trust said the information the NGO disseminated is both out of date and was taken “out of context” and therefore is not an accurate representation of the city’s current security situation.

“. . . It speculates and manipulates [information], presenting untimely figures to portray the destination as an unsafe place,” the statement read. Violent crime has now been reduced by 90%, the groups charged.

    Rodrigo Esponda, the general director of the tourism trust, told the newspaper El Universal that “a study that considers that Baltimore or New Orleans are more dangerous cities than Aleppo [Syria] or San Pedro Sula [Honduras] is definitely not serious.”

    “In February 2017, there were 26 homicides and in February 2018, just two. The rate reduced by 93% and in March there haven’t been any [murders] so far. This is the current reality in Los Cabos, the result of a year of effort. That’s why the information is out of date and out of context and has strange intentions,” he said.

    Esponda added that new military barracks funded by the local business community will help to further strengthen the fight against crime and highlighted that strong tourism numbers are expected in Los Cabos for the upcoming Spring Break.

    Governor Carlos Mendoza also questioned the validity of the study.

“. . . No city in Syria appears, where there have been massive genocides. And so now it turns out that those cities are not unsafe?” he asked.

    Mendoza added that the state government has recognized insecurity problems in Los Cabos and La Paz and implemented “the right strategy that achieved containment, although without declaring victory.”

    However, a recent opinion piece written by a security analyst from InSight Crime said the approach the state has adopted by beefing up the presence of the military “has a dubious track record in stemming the tide of violence elsewhere.”

    In addition to Los Cabos, four other Mexican cities appear in the top 10 most violent cities in the world, according to the Citizens’ Council study. They are Acapulco (third), Tijuana (fifth) and La Paz (sixth).

    The Tijuana Secretariat of Public Security also rejected its inclusion in the rankings, declaring that the study lacked rigor because it didn’t consider other high-impact crimes in its analysis and based its results purely on homicide statistics.
PS:I remember what Baja Cheryl who lives there said recently on forum:the violence,everything just suddenly stopped......canadiana
Source: El Universal (sp)
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/violent-cities-study-rejected-in-los-cabos/

Re: Los Cabos rejects study of most dangerous in world

leChef
...And as a statistics expert you know that 2 months is not significant enough to reach a conclusion that Cabo is a much safer place now, Canadiana

Re: Los Cabos rejects study of most dangerous in world

I wouldn't say I'm an expert.I just work with statistics and market analysts.Remember statistics is in the past tense over time can show a trend in the market just like polls,constantly changing.

Re: Los Cabos rejects study of most dangerous in world

another huge point is the entire picture.  Los Cabos is a big area the area with the violence is cabos san jose NOT cabos san lucas the tourist destination.  the homicides are in san jose and la paz.

The state department is overly cautious with warnings especially restrictions imposed on U.S. government employees, and they have no restrictions of travel into Cabos.

Re: Los Cabos rejects study of most dangerous in world

@Can: Just kidding with ya

@Chivis: Good point. So many good surf spots in San Jose though. Sad stuff

Re: Los Cabos rejects study of most dangerous in world

BajaCheryl
It's been almost 3 months of peace here.

I do not believe the absolute eclypse of violence we are seeing here has anything to do with police or military presence.  It hasn't worked elsewhere, why would it work here?  A guy with a gun in Las Animas isnt deterred by a police or military vehicle elsewhere.  This is something else.

New Orleans had 343 murders in 2017, all concentrated in a small area - just like what happened here, only New Orleans is a bigger city overall.  We had 300+ murders here last year.... all narco on narco.  Los Cabos never had any violence until 2017, so of course what was happening was big news.  This "study" was wreckless and outdated.

I have never worried for my safetey here.  But then again, I don't buy or sell drugs.  The crime here against visitors is very rare.  It would have been difficult to be harmed even if you drove through Zacatal or Pablo L. Martinez in May of last year, on the other hand, I would not like to visit areas in St. Luis or Baltimore where I KNOW I would not come out alive - any time.

My point is just that we deserve a chance at being considered a place of peace, and we are tired of being beat up.