Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

dr.janebrock

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

jlopez
As we all know, this constitutes a loophole because fear of cartel violence is totally unjustified. EPN and all the PRI governors have assured us nothing is happening. Stay home.

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

Baggy
lol.. Yep.. alls safe n peaceful in mexico... anybody saying drug related killings,extortion and murder are real threats are just falling for the propaganda of borderland beats reporters.............................................................................

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

dr.janebrock

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

Baggy
think about it like this, You are kicked out of your home by a drug cartel, they start to grow weed or poppies on your property, at first you think.. the police will help but that doesnt happen.. then you think perhaps the army will help.. nope fuckit they cant be stuffed they are too busy runnin drugs themselves.. then you get to the point and you're like hmm maybe the government of mexico will help?another year passes and you are still stuck living in a fucking tent in the jungle, Another year passes and your kid dies from malnutrition, After six months of mourning you decide.. fuckit imma go for the border and try to get asylum away from all this shit.

Just because cartel violence didn't necessarily increase by 15 times.. doesnt mean that after 7 yrs of this crap that people aren't all of a sudden attempting to leave in droves does it?

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

ICE only recently changed the policy regarding asylum requests from Mexico and other Latin American countries. Until recently over 99% of asylum requests from people fleeing narco related violence were declined and this was part of an official policy, while a high percentage of asylum requests from China are approved, if the immigrant cites China's one child policy.

Of course asylum requests will increase, if fleeing narco related violence is actually recognized as a valid argument, when it wasn't in the past.

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

dr.janebrock

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

I don't think you understand the situation.

Prior to this month, ICE denied 99% of asylum requests from immigrants citing narco related violence as their reason for requesting asylum. Why would someone go through the trouble of sitting in an ICE detention center, waiting for an asylum application to be processed, when it would almost certainly be denied?

Now, the policy has been changed, making flight from narco related violence a valid reason to seek asylum. Of course asylum requests citing flight from narco related will increase, now that they might actually have a chance of being approved.

Let me put it another way. Prior to the 1966 SCOTUS ruling in Miranda v Arizona, police weren't required to inform suspects of their right to an attorney before being questioned. It was unheard of for attorneys to seek a dismissal of charges if an arrestee wasn't informed of this, even though the 5th Amendment to the USC explicitly guarantees a person's right against self-incrimination.

Since the 1966 SCOTUS ruling spelled out these rights explicitly, it has become routine for lawyers to ask for the dismissal of charges in cases where confessions were obtained without the presence of an attorney. Of course, police nearly always lie and say they did read a defendant their rights, but in 1000's of cases the charges are dismissed.

People are requesting asylum in greater numbers, because it is now legally valid to do so, when prior to this month, is was generally a pointless endeavor.

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

dr.janebrock

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

Siskiyou_Kid
I'm sure that word is quickly spreading among would-be immigrants that ICE is now considering these kinds of applications, and there will undoubtedly be many bogus requests, because how do you verify if someone really was threatened?

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

elcardenal
Ive worked on several Asylum cases before. The only loophole Ive seen is for people from countries that do not accept deportees

We are not sending people back to Somalia. So everybody from Africa claims to be from Somalia. They lose the Asylum claim, but bc we cant send them back, they are released indefinitely. Until the country becomes better. They will have to wear an ankle bracelet and all, but it doesnt change the fact that they can stay here for years.

Also, Mexican asylum cases are worse than African cases. Believe me Dr J, most of them brought evidence of what they were running from.

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

escierto
No number alarms me because I do not see the Mexican people as my "enemy".

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

dr.janebrock

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

drjane.  You are probably right the reporter is stupid, but this story is the most slanted agenda driven piece of reporting that I have seen in a long time. (see the source).

First the story makes it seem like the people are trying to take advantage of the system by being coached to use "key words" like "credible fear" when they ask for asylum.

The immigration officers at the border are in all likelihood the ones explaining to the migrants what the law requires to be eligible for asylum;

A refugee is someone who is unable or unwilling to return to and avail himself or herself of the protection of his or her home country or, if stateless, country of last habitual residence because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution

"well founded fear" means "credible fear".  If a migrant tells the US agent he wants to apply for asylum, the first thing the agent is likely to respond with is an explanation of what it takes to qualify for asylum, and the most important element is "well founded fear", or because that is not easily translatable into Spanish, they probably use the words "credible fear".

The applicant has to prove that his government is either part of the persecution or unable or unwilling to protect him.

There is no nefarious "loop hole" or plot to use "key words, just an explanation of what they will have to prove to qualify.

Secondly the article plays fast and loose with the numbers.  It extrapolates that because 199 people showed up a one border crossing, if that came every day for a year, it would mean 73,000 people per year applying for asylum at one border crossing.

The story doesn't mention that probably the reason those 199 arrived at the border that day was because it took several days for the hundreds of people fleeing and completely abandoning their villages because of Narco threats and violence.

 'If you stay, you work with us. If you don't work with us, you die,'" one frightened displaced resident of Sinaloa de Levya told InSight Crime on condition of anonymity.

Just from some of the last 2 weeks stories;

more than 600 inhabitants of four villages abandoned their communities because of narco threats.

Nearly 300 families fled to nearby Surutato, in the neighboring municipality

As many as a dozen people were killed in his community in the municipality of Sinaloa de Leyva at the end of last year, he said. The final straw came in January, when villagers say between 8 and 9 vehicles -- some of which had makeshift machine-gun turrets in the pickup beds -- with 70 to 80 heavily armed men arrived and burned several houses.

Displaced people, interviewed during a visit to the area by InSight Crime, say that beginning in July of last year caravans of vehicles carrying large groups of heavily armed men have poured into their territory to commit assassinations, burn houses and run them from their villages.

"They say: 'If you stay, you work with us. If you don't work with us, you die,'" one frightened displaced resident of Sinaloa de Levya told InSight Crime on condition of anonymity.

The story cites an unidentified person (presumably a Immigration agent)
as saying "We are being overwhelmed."

If the Immigration officials in the US did not anticipate that there would be a temporary spike in asylum requests due the hundreds or thousands that have been run out of their homes and villages, they are not doing their job.  The plight of these people that have been forced to abandon entire villages is exactly why the US has laws and procedures for granting asylum.

These people that have abandoned their villages and fled to neighboring villages have no place to go.  As one of about 300 that gone to a neighboring village stated "the mayor, the city council, neither the state govt. or the federal govt. have offered any help to us.  It is the people of this village that are helping us survive."

But this reporter nor the network make any mention of those problems or an explanation that it is the likely reason for the sudden surge in applicants.  Instead they refer to it as "a new tactic" to get into the US.  "Fair and Accurate Reporting".

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

EL GUAPO
Consider the sobre of this "report". They took the situaciĆ³n of the so-called Dream9 who were granted asylum requests and spun it to spread their fear and hysteria that this is the new norm in an effort to defeat CIR.  Just more wing nut propaganda
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

Baggy
Hey Guapo can you elaborate for us out of towners what CIR is?

Congressional immigration reform? just stabbing in the dark here lol

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

Siskiyou_Kid
Comprehensive immigration reform.

You can't even mention it, without wingnuts screaming and crying like spoiled babies about amnesty.

Of course what is being proposed. Is the furthest you could get from amnesty if you use the literal translation of the word.
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

K_Mennem
The Who Is Eligible to Apply for Asylum? page on uscis.gov was updated on 6/18/2013. They also removed the content on the Bars to Applying for and Receiving Asylum page.

Word is the vast majority applying for asylum in the last two weeks at the two San Diego area POEs are from Michoacan.

Re: Loophole: People are being told to use "key words" to cross border

escierto
You want me to elaborate. I will elaborate. For a long time I lived in South Texas on a route traveled by migrants. They used to sleep in my pastures and sometimes me and my neighbors would give them water or cans of tuna fish. Would we ever call La Migra to report them? NO. NEVER! And we, myself included, were all gringos but we knew that these people came to work and to take care of their families.

THEY ARE NOT A THREAT TO US. I have enough weapons to arm both sides of an African civil war. I don't need the government "protecting" my security. A government big enough to protect my security is a government big enough to take it away. I hate the goddamn government and every law enforcement agency known to man - the DEA, the ICE, the ATF - they're all nothing but thugs with badges. America of today makes me puke - instead of deporting illegals, we should be deporting the goddamn meth-addicted white trash of America. Our patriot ancestors would roll over in their graves to see what a bunch of pansy candy ass pussies Americans are - whining and crying over every little perceived threat - letting themselves be herded around at airports like criminals by the TEA.

So am I worried about Mexicans coming to claim asylum? HELL NO and Sheriff Joe can go to hell too.
12