Latest on Chihuahua- Sierra Tarahumara- anyone know?

Latest on Chihuahua- Sierra Tarahumara- anyone know?

jannelupe
Has anyone been in Creel, Cuahtemoc, Parral, Chihuahua lately?  What's up in Creel since the murders in March (shown on the youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEaA7cEZnmU)?

I am headed down, driving from AZ, after Thanksgiving and would like recent news on the situation in the Sierra.  Real news, not just the anecdotal scare stories...  Thanks.

and besides this blog- where do you think the "real" news can be found???

Re: Latest on Chihuahua- Sierra Tarahumara- anyone know?

anon
I have family in parral and on the border to durango. They told to not even think about going, They are stealing trucks, money, belongings and even kidnapping daughters and wives. They kill for fun. This has happened to people who run into one of their roadblocks. I am not positive on which cartel is responsible but my best bet is la linea. This is happening on the road from chihuahua to parral and parral to durango. I don't know about cuahtemoc though. I advise you to wait till christmas when the roads are not as empty.

Re: Latest on Chihuahua- Sierra Tarahumara- anyone know?

Gerardo

Re: Latest on Chihuahua- Sierra Tarahumara- anyone know?

jannelupe
Well, ok, Here's my problem w/ "My encounter w/ Drunk Sicarios":  It was in April- I'm asking for any info on gringos getting in trouble lately- sept, oct, nov...

Then- this guy obviously ignored the information posted all about- (know where you are- stay in populated areas, don't go alone). They were out in the boonies, had no clue where they were- and IMO the guy's travelling companion had questionable judgement- is it smart to leave your pal behind? I  have no clue about the bicyclists, but again, tourists out in remote places they know nothing about- you're asking for trouble.  And finally, everyone knows that it's rude to refuse a beer when it's offered- I'm not kidding...

Beer- well, I'm a small blonde woman in my mid fifties and last year two narcos from Baborigame asked me to drink a beer w/ them, so I did- I didn't get my feet shot at- (their guns were in their belts).  I was in a restaurant alone in Guachochi and I knew to say no would get me in worse trouble than to politely accept- so we had a couple of beers and chatted and I went on my way after providing the narcos enough info for them to know I wasn't la migra or some undercover agent or really anyone who had anything they wanted...  And of course I left in a hurry so they couldn't follow me.

Be smart.  and "smart" in the Sierra has it's own meaning...
thanks for the info-