La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

themadcanadian
La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

Milenio entered that michoacana community and spoke with the residents, besieged by the Templars "we do not want a war, but we want to be free"

Source: Milenio: Wednesday, May 8th, 2013

Photo: Taken from the Internet

Michoacán.  This population is under siege.  It is at war.  In some faces bravery is seen, in others something approaching fear.  Some people intend to continue their lives, a few more carry rifles and watch for anything that seems strange to them...

In this place of 10,000 residents, the village of Felipe Carrillo de Michoacan, there has been no gasoline for  almost two weeks.  The tankers do not come there, not supplying the gas stations of this locality close to Apatzingán (34 km) and that belongs to the municipality of Buenavista Tomatlán.

The drivers of the tankers are threatened.  If they approach, and if they are carrying fuel, their tankers will be burned and they will be executed.  That is what they have been warned.  The Pemex stations are empty, the pumps are locked, with yellow tape blocking them as if they are being treated like a crime scene.

There is almost no food or gas: 8 out of 10 of the commercial areas are closed.  The streets are almost empty.  The grocers, the market's tenants are not able to acquire food in the center of the state.  All those who leave from there have to show their voter's registration cards to the checkpoints located at the city entrances.  If they are found with purchases of food, they will be confiscated.  The merchants would rather buy from far away, in Colima or Jalisco, in order to avoid confiscation of their goods.

But here there is not only a lack of cooking fuel, gasoline, food and basic articles of cleaning: there is also a scarcity of medicine.  In fact, the doctors themselves have fled, social programs like Opportunities have ceased to function a month ago according to residents.  Even the priest has fled.  Before the outbreak of a trio of fireworks alerts, the people went out to protest.  Hundreds of people surrounded the cameraman, photographer and reporter from Milenio.  One after another the people wanted to speak, they wanted to stop in front of the camera, some with their faces covered, others with their faces uncovered.

"We are fighting to be allowed to work and they won't let us work.  We are dying of hunger.  There is no doctor, no money, no gasoline, no work, and no food.  There is nothing.  Then, on what are we going to live?  What we are doing is no a war to us, we are only fighting to be free.  I have lost my husband and I have two kids, and all that they have is me.  And now am I also going to die?", a women sobbed her face covered in a tee-shirt.

"Now they threaten us for Mother's Day; [they say] that they have for us a gift for all the mothers on May 10th: they are going to kill us like dogs.  And what does the government do?  They do nothing," said another woman.

"We are already angry that the government has no done anything and that more and more television stations are coming, and we will give no more interviews and none will come from here.  We have not received help from anyone.  The only help that we receive is the beat of our heart in our chest from God, and the government, what?  Nothing.  Reporters, reporters and more reporters and they do not help us with anything.  We are pissed off," said the first woman.

Dozens of residents, and dozens of men, applaud them.

An old farmer asks for Milenio's microphone:

"Our children do not have fault, our women do not have fault, our old do not have fault.  What are the farmers going to do with no fuel?  We gather what food we can, but without fuel there is no work," he says.

"The doctors have begun to go, and they took the priest too.  They are leaving with all the people, with everything, with everything," protests a young woman who does not hide her face.

"Jesus Reyna (the governor who replaced Fausto Vallejo): if you cannot deal with the package as it comes, because Opportunities has not taken charge.  They want us to come to Apatzingán to collect so that they can give us your neck!  I am a promoter (of Opportunities) and they have told us while this continues, Opportunities is not going to give us support.  Why has it not intervened in this matter?" protested another resident, masked with tears in their eyes.

Indignant people.  Infuriated people.  Courageous looks.  And at the same time, elusive eyes, fearful looks, terrified looks.  "Yes, mothers have many fears," says a young woman carrying a little one.  La Ruana, for this situation, has created a numerous self-defense group.

They first formed one called a community police, but 34 members were detained with rifles and have remained in jail for two months.  Then came the self-defense.

We enter the barracks, the base of those men, a large building were women prepare gigantic pots of rice and beans, and were weapons of different calibers repose: simple scoped rifles and assault rifles.  One of the leaders, Calixto Álvarez Andrada, broke the security protocol that self-defense groups usually have and took off his mask in front of the camera:

"Here nothing is allowed to enter: Pepsi cannot enter, nor Coke, no cooking fuel, nor gasoline, no food for us..."

--"What happens if they enter, will they burn it?"

"No, they turn them around and they kill them.  There were people who came to take lemons here and they were massacred and killed.  We were not able to sell lemons to them and they could not buy them.  They only say: "The ruaneros do not cut lemons and it is finished..."

--They are under siege...--he says as he sits down:

--We are surrounded from one side to the other, and we are already desperate.  That is why we do all that we do.  And we are taking what comes.  It is that easy.  So that we go thinking those...

"Those" are the Knights Templar.  As the self-defense group says, this village of lemon farmers, next to Colima and Jalisco, cannot sell its products, its lemons: it cannot sell them in Apatzingán: the packers have been closed.  Some were burned with trailers and contents.  Their in plain sight of the large businesses, vehicles reduced to ashes.  Two weeks ago, 10 lemon farmers were even executed when they arrived in Apatzingán with their harvest.

"We have problems with everything: with the lemons, with food, we have no gasoline, no cooking fuel, this pack of dogs has us dying from hunger, the pack of chumps.  This fucker is bleeding us dry.  The family is dying of hunger.  How long can we last?  What is going to happen to us?  Are we heading toward a massacre greater than what we have already had?  We are already sick of massacres.  We have had enough.  We would like the federal government to restore order and say enough so that we can work in peace.  We are armed to the teeth because we could not take ti any longer.  Everyone is bought: captains, generals, the entire pack of fuckers...

--These people (the Templars) say that you are armed by the Jalisco Cartel--they say that you are under their orders.  He and all the men around him grew angry.

--Lies!  We buy one or another when we can.  Here we cooperate with one another and we buy a gun and we buy another, and we took some from those we kill.  It is that easy.  We have taken many weapons from them.  For that reason they are thinking,  So they cannot blame anyone.  We are armed to the tits [lit., balls] as the saying goes...

--Are you not afraid of these people?

--I am not afraid of them.  Fear is over.  In the years before you could not open your mouth and they killed you.  Fear is over.  I shout the whole pack of dogs: I have no fear.  It is that simple...

--They are angry...

--And if not!  They are like dogs.  We are the same or worse (he smiles)...  We will see what happens...

We will see what happens.  Another confrontation, surely.  What happens in Ruana?  That, these armed people exhibit it and the traces of the battles, the burned trucks, luxury pick-ups with crosses, the symbol of the Templars, shot and burned on the side of the road, covered in bullet holes.  The village is under siege.  It is at war.  That is what happens.  There is a war between the self-defense group and the Knights Templar.

When did this begin?  According to a woman talking to the camera, many of the people in this village we engaged, in addition to the lemon harvest, to cooking.  That is, the preparation of synthetic drugs in labratories.  Until they fought with one another.  The people say that they are only farmers defending themselves, although the Templars accuse them of receiving support from the New Generation Jalisco Cartel, that could use this situation to move into the area.

In any case, the consequences are plain to see: more than 20 dead in the last from a murder and two clashes.  The last was this past Sunday, when an army platoon prevented a real massacre.  Thus lies Ruana, a village under siege, waiting..for what happens.  That which happens in plain sight of the state and federal elements that do what they do this day: patrols that come and go from this place...

My translation, here is the original article:

http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/laruanapueblositiadopornarcos-1735097.html
TheMadCanadian

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

_The Magician_

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

themadcanadian
It is not my best work, but this story intrigues me.  It is constantly contradicted and I am not sure if the whole thing is shady or if the CT have that much pull to distort the info like that.
TheMadCanadian

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

Lala
Thanks a lot for posting that, I´m also interested in that area, people from Michoacán living in the US organized protests in front of the Mexican consulate, in San José, California, and I believe in other places too, demanding the government to act and put a stop to the situation, I also read the blockades stopped yesterday or the day before I think? and goods are making it to at least one of these communities, can´t check that right now, but I´ll look for it later to give more accurate info.

CT does have pretty much full control of the area in Tierra Caliente, but even taking that into account it is very confusing.

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

El Doble J
I saw a documentary on this a while back and it's surprising that the federal government has not stepped in. Then again, we are talking about the mexican government that always turns a blind eye to people of that social status.

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

Lala
Video of your article

Video of demonstrations at the Mexican consulate in San José, California, yesterday, May 7th, denouncing the blockades in Buenavista, Tepeque and la Ruana by CT. There is another one planned for Sunday at the same consulate. Bunch of pictures of the same thing here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.625012980862074.1073741853.586707354692637&type=1

<nabble_embed><iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=307084036089655" width="568" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe></nabble_embed>

I saw this link posted, I can´t watch the video from México but I think it´s also about the protests at the consulate, maybe you can see it.
http://univision14.univision.com/videos/video/2013-05-07/michoacanos-area-de-la-bahia-accion-violancia/embed

According to Valor por Michoacán gas trucks (cooking and heating gas) started to arrive to Buenavista from nearby Jalisco on Monday, since the route from Apatzingán was closed, and also according to them since yesterday deliveries from Apatzingán are allowed to Buenavista, Santa Ana and San Juan, not Tepalcatepec or la Ruana yet. This information is not confirmed.

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

themadcanadian
Thanks for the video.  I had not seen it.  I could not watch the one either as I am not in the US either.
TheMadCanadian

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

elcienporcien

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

Tamaulipeco Mexikano
Seems that the CT is getting weaker every time in Michoacan, just like the CDG.CJNG can't be stopped Midget Guzman gaved the CJNG too much power when Chapo was heliping them in Veracruz.!With $$$ and Guns and other stuff.The war between the CT and CJNG reminds me about the CDG/Zeta eh?
Estos son de Guerra, Aquellos nada mas son administrativos!

Re: La Ruana, Village Besieged by Narcos

SouthernOutpost
If the Marines helped as your friend was told,god-bless them,those folk need all the help they can get,why are CT such assholes.